2009 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON

DIscussion of the 2008 Hurricane Season. Predictions and more!
spacecitycomics

2009 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON

Postby spacecitycomics » Tue May 19, 2009 5:29 pm

Time to think preparedness. I repeat - Time to think preparedness.
Having been thru a couple of rather extreme hurricanes in my lifetime,
I learn new ways to make my life more comfortable, before, during,
and after a hurricane.
This past year before Ike came ashore, I decided that I had better buy
and precut a little BETTER grade of plywood for the windows.
I had been using 3/8" T-111, precut to the proper size because I could
get it for $20 a sheet. After Ike, the 3/8" was watersoaked, had been
pummelled by whatever was blowing thru east Houston @ 100+ miles
an hour. After the third day down off the home, with temperatures
approaching 100 in the sun, and humidity of 95%, I was not suprised
that the plywood warped BIG TIME.
This year I spent my hard earned money on 5/8" Marine grade. This
stuff is supposed to be pretreated to be moisture resistant. Plus I'm
going to be slapping a couple coats of Thompsons waterproofing on
the precut pieces this weekend, and maybe a couple coats of UGL
white waterproofer if my wallet holds out.
More to come as the season nears !

A few thoughts on oil lamps, or as we call them around here "hurricane lamps" and lamp oil. I have a couple of different kinds / styles. *** WARNING*** Absolutely no one these days reccommends using oil lamps in hurricane season. Way too many fires and deaths can be traced to oil lamp fires. If you do not have years of experience with using oil lamps properly, DO NOT USE AN OIL LAMP.
Common sense needs to be your best friend with and oil lamp.
I have found that lamps produced in the 1930's are the best.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not an antiquey type person, if you saw the way we decorate, you would swear that the wife and I were insane. We inherited 3 old heavy base glass lamps with sturdy brass
wicking fixtures years ago when my greatgrandmother passed on. The base holds a solid quart and would be a bear to tip over, even intentionally. We found a store where we can get the top glass on the cheap, as I tend to break globes every few years while cleaning them. Dust bunny's love oil lamps.
I've also bought a few over the years from various places. The Walmart kits for $20 or so are ok, but the bases are too light, a tipping hazard, and the brass works are usually as flimsy as a potatoe chip. You will have to realize that a good old time oil lamp might last your entire life time, and when you learn how to properly use one, can supply all the light you would need in an emergency situation. I did last year
buy some cheap-0 tin barn lamps. I found them at a hardware store for $5 each. They had the standard
thumb bail to raise and lower globe , and were stamped and soldered with a rubber gasket and a cheap
screw plug for the fill hole. After the storm passed, we spent most of our evenings out back on the patio,
and while not anywhere near a quality product, they did excell at keeping the bugs away. I filled four
of them with citronella oil that we normally burn in tiki torches and placed them around the area we
hung out around. The cheap lamps smokes so badly from poor wick control and poor flewing that the
mosquitos were impressed with all the smoke, and didn't really bother us. Take some time if you are
thinking about an oil lamp, whether you would be better off with battery powered lighting, or oil, but if
you aren't sure, stick with battery power. And even the wife and I do not use candles during a storm.
As for lamp oil itself, I find that Gulf brand, which is near impossible to find, is the best. If you can
find it, you'll pay premium for this stuff, as I understand it has not been produced for years and years,
and has probably been in someone's warehouse since Carter was President.
Some lamp oil quality is lacking, it's cheap and it smokes, that is, it doesn't burn clean regardless of
how you manage the lamp or what lamp you use it in. We actually use tiki lamp oil for our outside lamps,
as smoke and bug control tend to go hand in hand. Whatever brand or type you use, make absolutely
sure you follow ALL the instructions on the lamp AND oil bottle. SAFETY first. Don't compound the
damage a hurricane can bring with an accidental fire.
Last edited by spacecitycomics on Thu May 21, 2009 4:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hurricane
Site Admin
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Re: 2009 ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON

Postby hurricane » Wed May 20, 2009 11:06 am

Definitley time to begin preparations. In Florida we are getting soaked this week so far - with 50 mph gusts yesterday and a ton of rain. Hopefully this is a reminder of the things that we should be prepping for!

spacecitycomics wrote:Time to think preparedness. I repeat - Time to think preparedness.
Having been thru a couple of rather extreme hurricanes in my lifetime,
I learn new ways to make my life more comfortable, before, during,
and after a hurricane.
This past year before Ike came ashore, I decided that I had better buy
and precut a little BETTER grade of plywood for the windows.
I had been using 3/8" T-111, precut to the proper size because I could
get it for $20 a sheet. After Ike, the 3/8" was watersoaked, had been
pummelled by whatever was blowing thru east Houston @ 100+ miles
an hour. After the third day down off the home, with temperatures
approaching 100 in the sun, and humidity of 95%, I was not suprised
that the plywood warped BIG TIME.
This year I spent my hard earned money on 5/8" Marine grade. This
stuff is supposed to be pretreated to be moisture resistant. Plus I'm
going to be slapping a couple coats of Thompsons waterproofing on
the precut pieces this weekend, and maybe a couple coats of UGL
white waterproofer if my wallet holds out.
More to come as the season nears !

Return to “2008 Hurricane Season Discussion”