Creepmas

See the SantaClaus.com forums for Christmas and Santa chat.
http://www.SantaClaus.com/forums/
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Creepmas

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:44 pm

D'Aulaire's Book of Greek Myths has been in print for over 50 years and is an excellent intro for grade school kids, if you are interested.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:25 am

Believe me, I don't mind the lecture Professor Murf. It's nice to have a intellectually stimulating conversation with someone outside my usual circle.

When I was in school they would pass students regardless of their grades until the end of grade 8, but when you got to high school you had to actually be capable of doing the work or you wouldn't even get past grade 9, and you could forget about graduating. I honestly don't know if that has changed by now or not as my nieces and nephews are just in their first years of high school, and the topic hasn't ever come up with any of my young employees, some of whom are still in high school, while others have already graduated and are now balancing college and their job.

Most of my employees are well educated, they clearly have goals that they are working towards, and they want to actually do something with their lives, but there are some of them that just seem to coast by while other people do the hard work. It reminds me of when I was in school and the science teacher would give you a lab partner that didn't know anything, so you got stuck doing the project yourself and when you passed, the other person got the credit for doing nothing. Back then, there was only a small amount of students that were like that, now it seems to be the mentality of everybody today. Like you said, most people will take the easy way out.

Another thing that I have noticed is that while the young people today are fully capable of speaking and reading English, they certainly have a hard time with spelling words correctly, which I find unbelievable because they already know the word and what it means, and they have seen it multiple times in print, but for some inexplicable reason they are still incapable of spelling the most simple words correctly.

I know that the English language is constantly evolving, and it will continue to evolve, from the earliest form of Old English in the 5th century, to the chat/text speak that our modern society is currently using, one can only wonder what English will eventually evolve into. The English language as we know it is dying a slow and painful death, I know that might seem a bit overdramatic, but it's just my opinion based on what I have observed from interacting with almost everybody under 25.

The thing that worries me is how fast our current vocabulary is being replaced by text speak, these young people are bombarded by erroneous spelling everywhere they look, from large companies that spell their name in a modern and edgy way, to the supposedly top news agencies in the world with online news articles that have more spelling mistakes than I care to count, to the youtubers that they follow, to just texting with each other, we are living in a world where people are spelling every single word phonetically, and young people just assume that's the correct way.

To show you a example of what I mean, below is a text message one of my employees sent me the other day when she was running late.

im gnna B L8 plz get jenny 2 cvr 4 me srry thx

I swear this is the actual message she sent to me, I just copied it from my phone. You can imagine the headache I have trying to decipher messages like this on a regular basis. I suppose that I should be glad that she apologized and said thanks, at least I think she did, I'm still trying to decode the message.

I know that I sound like a bitter old man about the subject, and don't get me wrong, I have used slang terminology in my life as well, and I'm not perfect, I know that I have made mistakes with my spelling and grammar, but I have always had respect for the English language.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 21, 2023 7:24 am

That text message is both funny and sad. I don't mind the slang, actually, but it's sad that she would address that language to her employer. It strikes me as a failure of etiquette.

Back when we were first married, my husband was in the Army, and I would commute back to Nashville periodically from Texas to discuss my doctoral dissertation with my director. As everyone knows, the Army has its own lingo, and four-letter words are more than commonplace. They are, like, every other word. Sometimes I would feel verbally assaulted even when my husband meant nothing by them. Complaining to him did no good, as he was so immersed in that language at the time. When I complained to my dissertation director on a trip back, he observed that the problem wasn't the jargon, but the audience. I thought that was very wise, and I never forgot it. All workplaces and sub-groups have their own jargon and slang, but it is inappropriate to use that language with people outside the group. Perhaps this is a lesson all young people must learn.

BTW, my husband really cleaned up his act verbally once he left the Army, especially after we had kids. Now he is likely to correct me if I let a bad word slip, which I find amusing, given how we started out.

Language will evolve, and there is no more stopping it than there is holding the tide back. Sometimes I think we are becoming once again more of an oral than a written culture, simply because of our technologies. Not only are people in general reading less, and reading fewer of the classics, but they are actually writing less. My kids all learned cursive, but the ones in high school now were never taught it. It's sad to think they won't be able to read letters and diaries passed down in their families from their grandparents, but unless something changes, they won't.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Aug 22, 2023 4:21 am

Yes, it is sad, but I guess that I can't really get mad at her for it because almost everybody in her age range types their messages in a similar way. They are not always as indecipherable as that message, but they are certainly just as annoying. The girl that sent it is very polite, good with the customers, and she works hard, so I'll keep her around.

Like your husband, I changed my behavior when I had kids. When I was younger I would swear rather frequently, as most young males do when among their peers, but now I hardly swear anymore, and certainly not in front of the kids. Now if I get angry, or I hit my hand with a hammer by accident, I usually yell out something funny like... FUDGE! or HOLY MACARONI! so my kids think I'm talking about something you eat, and they just start laughing.

I think that having kids changes you in ways that you don't expect, prior to becoming a parent you are your own main priority, and everyone else comes after you, but when the kids arrive you suddenly realize that there is someone more important than you, and you will do anything for them. Sometimes it's the simplest things they do and say that bring you the most pleasure as a parent.

The other day we were talking to the kids and we asked them what they wanted to be when they grew up? Sam said she wants to be a doctor so she can help people, while Phoebe, who is only 6, said she wants to be a Disney princess. It's interesting how she specified the word Disney in front of the word princess, and she didn't just say a princess. I guess that corporate branding really does influence young kids. My wife and I just smiled at her, while she is too young to understand that it is unrealistic, it is definitely ambitious. When I was younger than her I wanted to be a astronaut, but then the Challenger shuttle exploded, and that was a day that I won't ever forget, because that was the day that my mother explained to me what death was.

On a lighter note, I still have a great relationship with my mother, and I can only hope that I will be that close to my kids when they become adults, like you are with your kids. I think it's awesome that you still get together for family vacations with them, and even though they are grown up and living their own lives, they still find the time to be with you.

Also, if you don't mind me asking, when your husband was in the Army, was he ever deployed into combat? I'm just curious.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:54 am

My biggest pet peeve regarding language, is the pervasive mispronunciation of prefixes.

I began to notice this a few years ago when I worked in broadcast media sales, and had to actually watch local news.

When I hear 'pretect' or 'perduce' instead of 'protect' or 'produce' it makes me want to go full-on Van Gough, but with both ears.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:53 am

Andy, that's too funny! Yes, lots of verbal errors creep into tv broadcasts. A few years ago we had a weekend newscaster around here who read a report about "Tie-joo-ahnah." I guess she'd never seen Tijuana in print before. Don't know if it was for that, but I never saw her again.

HH, my husband was active duty from 1981-85, so, no, he never saw combat. The closest he came was in 1983(?) when terrorists attacked the US Marines in Lebanon. His group was in Europe at the time on a month-long exercise called Reforger, and they kept them over there a little longer than planned because there was a debate about which group was going to be sent to Lebanon. Ultimately somebody else went.

My husband went to college on an Army ROTC scholarship, so he owed the govt four years active duty, followed by inactive reserves for the rest of his life. He actually adored the Army. It was all he'd ever wanted to do, but while he was in they discovered he had a heart defect that wasn't going to affect him in civilian life, but could make the required military physical training lethal to him. So he had to get out. It was a great blow to him. He'd always intended to be career military. He was actually kind of excited when Desert Storm happened because he thought he might be called up, and they did interview him for it, but in the end he didn't go. Military history is his first love, and he knows more about the European theater of WW2 than anybody breathing, I think. Teaching was his second choice career, but I think he's been a better teacher because he has real world experience. Sometimes I think it would be a good idea if all teachers did something else first. Most people, myself included, go from being students in a classroom to teaching other students in a classroom. There is something a little "hot house" about that.

I do enjoy my adult children enormously, and they are very bonded to each other, which is gratifying. However, I am wanting all of them to find significant others of their own and have their own families. I know when (if?) that happens, I'll be seeing less of them. But for their sakes, I hope it does.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 11:21 am

Oh, little girls and the princess thing: even though feminists have attacked it, I believe this is important for little girls. I'll tell you a story.

When my first child was about 4, I was teaching at Mary Baldwin, and I would have lunch with other profs. One of them was a man with an 8 yr old son. I was telling him how my boy was totally into Power Rangers and Batman. He said, "Oh, yes, all little boys do that. They all go through that superhero phase, and I think it's very important to their development." I asked him why, and he said, "I think it is important for healthy male development that a little boy should go through a phase when he sees himself as heroic, as capable of heroic action."

I mulled that over. I didn't yet have a daughter, but as a female I thought, "If little boys go through the superhero phase, what is the comparable fantasy for little girls?" And it came to me, well it has to be the princess fantasy. So then I thought some more. I thought, "What is a little girl learning from the princess fantasy?" Now, feminists would have you think that she is learning passivity and people-pleasing, but I don't buy that. No, it came to me with great clarity: what a little girl learns from the princess fantasy is, "I am infinitely desirable. Everybody wants me. But not everybody can have me."

My daughter, like me in my earlier time, has been a very girly girl, not a tomboy, in spite of having two brothers. She has always been impatient with the modern stories that suggest a woman should be strong in the same way as a man. Her favorite novel is Jane Eyre. Jane Eyre is not strong like an action hero, but she has profound integrity. This is feminine strength.

Oh, and her favorite Disney princess back in the day? Belle, of course, from Beauty and the Beast. Belle is the intellectual one.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:27 pm

Andy - Regarding the issue you mentioned, it is most likely due to regional dialect, as the pronunciation of words will always be different based on geographical location and the accent in each territory.

Murf - As a parent to two girls, I know how important it is that they have strong female role models and heroes to learn from, and as you said, it isn't just about physical strength, but moral character as well. Thankfully, there are a lot of women throughout history, and in the current world today, that they can draw inspiration from, and look up to as they are growing up.

As for relationships, it seems that regardless of age, people today have a hard time finding a partner to be in a stable relationship with. There are many different reasons for this, some people enjoy the single life and don't want to settle down, others have a hard time making a connection with other people, some of them have a fear of commitment, some are just indecisive and don't know what they want, and some people just want to be alone. I'm sure there are many other reasons as well, but I've noticed this mainly with people in their 20s and 30s in particular, they aren't in a rush to start families like previous generations were. Actually, it seems that some of them are against the concept of family in general, and they are happy just being in a relationship and not having kids. I'm not sure what made them think this way, and I hope that will change eventually, or the world is going to be a very different place in a few generations.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 25, 2023 9:15 am

In the case of my kids, it seems to be the difficulty of making connections. Social media hasn't helped, as people sometimes have misunderstandings they might not have had face to face. And then occasionally people can gang up on someone there. That happened to my older boy in his mid-20s, when some girl he liked decided to enlist all her friends in trashing him just because she wasn't as interested in him as he was in her. That experience has caused him to pull back from taking chances with people, which is of course devastating to forming new relationships.

As a young woman I used to think men had more advantages than women in the romantic game, but now, as the mother of two sons, I see how tough it can be for guys and how much power females actually do have. But when I try to say this to my daughter, she disagrees. She thinks everybody is at a stand off in their two camps, and that neither side is really talking to the other.

I do know some young people who have decided not to have children, which I think is a big mistake. It's OK when you're young, but not when you're old, if only because couples rarely die at the same time. However, I don't think my own kids subscribe to this view. I think they would all welcome parenthood. It's finding the SO that seems to be the hang up. And of course, the pandemic didn't help.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Aug 25, 2023 6:48 pm

Sheesh! It just took me 3 hours to read all that.
Murfreesboro wrote: Sun Aug 13, 2023 9:31 am So I guess you do the Krampus thing on Dec 5? My husband loves the Krampus episode of the TV series Grimm.
I think when I was still active on this forum I was already incorporating Dias de los Muertos into my celebration. I remember posting photos. Some time later, after "V for Vendetta" came out I stretched my Hallowseason to include Bonfire night. I would project the movie onto the side of the house while my friends and I would drink the rest of my pumpkin beers. Of course we'd sit around a fire while watching and telling stories!

Now that Creepmas is becoming a thing, I stretch the season til December 13th. I take most Halloween decorations down but leave some up to set the mood while I watch scary Christmas movies. I'm slowly collecting horror Christmas decorations. Got a zombie Santa statue, some horrornaments, a monster movie stocking, and of course, some Nightmare Before Christmas stuff. Always keeping my eyes out for other decorations that fit the mood.

If anyone is interested, I created a Reddit sub a few years ago. Some good ideas there.
https://www.reddit.com/r/creepmas/

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:40 pm

Lol. We did get just a tad off topic!

I think Dec 13 is also St Lucy's Day, which is a big deal in Scandinavia. Traditionally the eldest daughter serves her parents breakfast in bed while wearing a St Lucy's crown of lit candles. I guess there's plenty of opportunity for horror in that.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Aug 26, 2023 4:05 am

Yes, like language, the conversations around here are constantly evolving. :lol:

As usual, it was a blast Murf!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Aug 26, 2023 9:20 am

I know. We have fun, don't we, HH?

Re Creepmas: I tend to keep my Halloween and my Christmas celebration separate. That may be because I do celebrate Christmas as a religious holiday, so there is a serious side to it for me. For instance, I have an Advent ritual leading up to Christmas, lighting candles, doing Bible readings, etc. I have found that this really centers me and keeps me from losing my mind with holiday prep, which can be overwhelming, especially when you have school-age kids. One of the reasons I love Halloween so much is that it is an "anything goes" holiday. There is zero pressure to be perfect like there can be at Christmas. And no matter what you do with decorations, the ToTers always seem to appreciate your effort.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Aug 28, 2023 1:12 am

Indeed we do, my friend. :)

My wife is what we like to call Christmas crazy, she is always running around trying to make sure that everything is perfect for the holiday, especially when it is her side of the family coming over, and she feels under pressure to impress her parents. As for myself, I'm a go with the flow kind of guy, I say have fun and enjoy the holidays, as long as everybody is happy and healthy, then I'm happy.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 28, 2023 8:24 am

Oh, when our kids were school age, Christmas was insane! At one point my husband actually said to me, "I hate Christmas." I told that to some of my friends, and added, "I don't hate Christmas, but I understand why he does." It's just too much, with every organization everyone belongs to having a party, the over scheduling, and (usually for women) the pressure to make everything perfect, and the inevitable let-down when it isn't. Since my husband and I are both singers, we have the additional pressure of extra rehearsals and performances on Christmas Eve.

That's when I started doing my daily Advent devotions. The first year I did them (alone, forget trying to corral everyone else to do them) my husband remarked in Jan, "This was a really nice Christmas," so I thought, he's right, but why? The money was just as tight, the scheduling was just as crazy. The only difference I could come up with was my private Advent devotions. They had made me different, somehow, and that had spread out to the rest of my family. So now I consider that five minutes or so each evening in Dec as one of the most essential aspects of my holiday. It keeps me focused on what actually matters.