Yardhaunting for 2007

Are you a yard or home haunter? Discuss that here.
hauntmaster

Yardhaunting for 2007

Post by hauntmaster » Tue Apr 17, 2007 2:18 pm

Are you going to do you own yardhaunt this year? Yep, I'm going to do it in September, but at this moment I am currently working some coffins, wallpapers, and others in the backyard. Then, I will save them in the barn until October, I will put them out in the front porch.

Halloween Freek
Master Reaper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Halloween Freek » Thu Jul 19, 2007 2:47 pm

Yeah the yardhaunt is already in the planning stages :)

But I will post pictures this year, and hopefully have some video of it.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Thu Jul 19, 2007 11:04 pm

Way to go, HF!

When you get a chance of taking some pics for this Halloween, feel free to post here! :wink:

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Aug 13, 2007 12:52 pm

We're doing silhouettes of witches and cats on the lawn (made of plywood) with appropriate lighting to show them off. The shadows will continue into the house where there will be bats and cats and whatnot.

evilincarnate78
Zombie

Post by evilincarnate78 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 2:11 pm

The majority of my props/decorations will be hitting the front yard during the last weekend of September. The good stuff (strobes, fog, lighting, sound) won't go out until Oct. 31st. I take the day off from work and spend the entire morning rigging up everything. The kids start Tot'ing right after school in my neighborhood, so I need to be ready to rock and roll by 2:30!
"I prayed that he would burn in hell, but in my heart I knew that hell would not have him."

-Dr. Sam Loomis

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Aug 13, 2007 4:01 pm

2:30?!?! Wow is that early. Do they continue late into the night or are they done at 6 or so?

evilincarnate78
Zombie

Post by evilincarnate78 » Mon Aug 13, 2007 5:45 pm

Ya, tell me about it! I couldn't believe my eyes the first year we lived here - ToTing during the day! When I was a kid, I didn't start until after dinner. The last kids usually roll through around 10pm or so.
"I prayed that he would burn in hell, but in my heart I knew that hell would not have him."

-Dr. Sam Loomis

ilovehalloween
Ghost

Post by ilovehalloween » Fri Aug 24, 2007 7:55 pm

the kids in my town start at around 4! i dont go out till like 9 hehe
~Jamie~

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Fri Aug 24, 2007 8:05 pm

I would love to do a yard haunt but sadly I live in a flat :( I do have a patio area but it is away from the street, so no one can see it unless I let them in through the alley. I had a bowl of candy out last year just in case we got some TOTs (it was out first year in the flat) but alas, we did not.

When I get my own big house though.. with a garden.... oh, THAT will be a different story!! :D

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:24 am

I'd love to do a yard haunt but we usually take the kids out TOT'ing and we both dress up so we are gone for most of the night.
So besides a few outdoor props (inflatable spider, graves etc) we don't do a whole lot. I'd love to have a big ol' interactive display...

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:30 pm

I'm planning on using the Black Magic ideas found on Stewart's website (have I said that enough?!?!?). It's mostly silhouettes of witches and cats illuminated by a light from behind. I've got the wood I just need to get to work.

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Tue Aug 28, 2007 3:55 pm

I'd like to have something simple for outside this year, where I'm doing the witches kitchen inside..maybe I should try a silhouette.

Do we get to see your finished project Dr.?

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Sep 17, 2007 12:16 pm

I've recently been tasked with creating a haunted hayride at the farm where my son works/volunteers. I went to the Six Flags haunted hayride last year and am trying to piece together what they did in my mind so I can come up with some ideas. From what I recall the most effective elements did not differ greatly from a traditional haunted house; it was the unexpected that scared the most. I don't think I'll plan elaborate staging as much as "ambushes."

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:08 pm

Dr Strange-- you thought about having a scarecrow in a field for the hayride that's more or less automated... either by hand or by motor, so it turns when the ride drives past. You could have someone dressed the same as the scarecrow standing beside the road further down... Have them move slowly... take a step or two... then make a run for the hayride. They could even climb aboard -- have the hayride driver slow down-- and pass out candy or something. So it's scary, but not.

I dunno...

... but I did read somewhere that haunts are more threatening when it poses a threat to your person. For example an car accident scene might not be very scary in and of itself, but if the car accident resulted in the release of a bus full of convicts who might be in the area, it's a bit more threatening.

... but... you prolly already knew that :wink:

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Sep 17, 2007 3:16 pm

The scarecrow is a good idea. I'm not sure about the budget for this but whatever money is there will probably be spent on strobe lights and fog machines. I appreciate the brainstorming!