Tropical Depression number 1

Discussion of the 2009 Hurricane season
hurricane
Site Admin
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Tropical Depression number 1

Postby hurricane » Thu May 28, 2009 11:35 am

Looks like it could form into the first Tropical Storm of the season.
===========
TCPAT1
BULLETIN
TROPICAL DEPRESSION ONE ADVISORY NUMBER 1
NWS TPC/NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER MIAMI FL AL012009
1100 AM EDT THU MAY 28 2009

...TROPICAL DEPRESSION FORMS OFF THE MID-ATLANTIC COAST...

SATELLITE IMAGERY INDICATES THAT THE AREA OF LOW PRESSURE THAT
PASSED TO THE EAST OF CAPE HATTERAS YESTERDAY HAS BECOME A TROPICAL
DEPRESSION...THE FIRST OF THE ATLANTIC HURRICANE SEASON.

AT 1100 AM EDT...1500 UTC...THE CENTER OF TROPICAL DEPRESSION ONE
WAS LOCATED NEAR LATITUDE 37.3 NORTH...LONGITUDE 71.0 WEST OR ABOUT
310 MILES...500 KM...SOUTH OF PROVIDENCE RHODE ISLAND AND ABOUT 635
MILES...1020 KM...SOUTHWEST OF HALIFAX NOVA SCOTIA.

THE DEPRESSION IS MOVING TOWARD THE NORTHEAST NEAR 17 MPH...AND THIS
GENERAL MOTION IS EXPECTED TO CONTINUE OVER THE NEXT 24-48 HOURS.
THE DEPRESSION IS NOT EXPECTED TO THREATEN ANY LAND AREAS.

MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS ARE NEAR 35 MPH...55 KM/HR...WITH HIGHER
GUSTS. THE DEPRESSION IS FORECAST TO BECOME A TROPICAL STORM OVER
THE NEXT DAY OR SO...BUT THEN IS EXPECTED TO WEAKEN OR DISSIPATE
OVER COLDER WATERS BY SATURDAY.

ESTIMATED MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE IS 1007 MB...29.74 INCHES.

...SUMMARY OF 1100 AM EDT INFORMATION...
LOCATION...37.3N 71.0W
MAXIMUM SUSTAINED WINDS...35 MPH
PRESENT MOVEMENT...NORTHEAST OR 50 DEGREES AT 17 MPH
MINIMUM CENTRAL PRESSURE...1007 MB

THE NEXT ADVISORY WILL BE ISSUED BY THE NATIONAL HURRICANE CENTER AT
500 PM EDT.

$$

monicadumont

Re: Tropical Depression number 1

Postby monicadumont » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:05 am

Hi! I am new and hoping to get info for a trip we are taking Aug 8/28 to Eastern Caribbean. Any suggestions for how I can track the weather for hurricanes a little easier?

Thx!
Monica

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Wed Aug 12, 2009 11:24 am

Hi,
If you have internet access it is easy to check out the satellite and updates on the main page of hurricane.com.

You can also follow advisories via rss if you have an rss reader on your phone here: feed://www.hurricane.com/hurricane-advisories/feed/

Probably other things too, were you looking for something specific?

Where are you headed? I was in Tortola and St. Thomas at the end of July 2009 and had a great time.

Chris

monicadumont wrote:Hi! I am new and hoping to get info for a trip we are taking Aug 8/28 to Eastern Caribbean. Any suggestions for how I can track the weather for hurricanes a little easier?

Thx!
Monica

monicadumont

Postby monicadumont » Wed Aug 12, 2009 2:43 pm

Thank you! I do not have the ability to ck by phone, but I am using this post. Of course I am trying to learn how to get it on this website too.

I am heading to Bahamas, St Thomas and Virgin Islands Puerto Rio...... We leave on the cruise 8/28 and it lasts a week.

Thx again,
M

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Thu Aug 13, 2009 7:45 am

Sounds fun!
Many ships also have an internet plan - e.g. you can get 90 minutes or 500 minutes of internet time to use during the week for a certain amount of money. Some just have a computer area, others allow wifi access. So that is an option also.

monicadumont wrote:Thank you! I do not have the ability to ck by phone, but I am using this post. Of course I am trying to learn how to get it on this website too.

I am heading to Bahamas, St Thomas and Virgin Islands Puerto Rio...... We leave on the cruise 8/28 and it lasts a week.

Thx again,
M

gina

Postby gina » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:30 pm

Hi Monica,
I saw there is a tropical wave in back of Bill but it is still close to the African coast, so that should not be a problem for you. I'm up in New York and am concerned about Bill because the tracks I have seen show it going to Cape Cod, Long Island or out to sea. Since they estimate it will be a MAJOR hurricane by Wednesday, we are all a little concerned.

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurric ... type=track

What do you think hurricane admin? do you think it will go out to sea or come here?

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Mon Aug 17, 2009 8:40 pm

Hi!
The odds are that it will go out to sea. ;-) If it were me (I'm in Florida), I'd do a few things that are beneficial anyway - if I had any branches needing trimming do that, maybe get some extra water etc which you can always use later. Since it is so uncertain though there isn't much extra to do - it seems about 7-10 days away from Cape Cod so that gives plenty of time to watch the projected path.

I agree that as of now it looks fine in the Eastern Caribbean for the next little while. A week out, hard to tell for sure.

Chris

gina wrote:Hi Monica,
I saw there is a tropical wave in back of Bill but it is still close to the African coast, so that should not be a problem for you. I'm up in New York and am concerned about Bill because the tracks I have seen show it going to Cape Cod, Long Island or out to sea. Since they estimate it will be a MAJOR hurricane by Wednesday, we are all a little concerned.

http://www.intellicast.com/Storm/Hurric ... type=track

What do you think hurricane admin? do you think it will go out to sea or come here?

blade6109

Postby blade6109 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:51 pm

yea like a TD out the but i dont think its going to become a trpicl sup cell its like a 30% chance it will flare up to be one with 48 hours so nothing realy ouy there mostly becase of the windshere

blade6109

Postby blade6109 » Thu Oct 01, 2009 1:58 pm

TD number one is going to purty much die out so no acctivity in the alantic right now so its not realy ant going to be a hurricane season this year lol only good formed hurricane this year is bill that about all so nothin this year.

gina

Postby gina » Thu Oct 01, 2009 9:02 pm

Actually I read something recently that said that El Nino is providing enough wind shear that any storms that have formed are effected by that; however, the last two weeks of October that cycle of wind shear will lessen so any storms that form would have more potential or surviving.

Grathom

Postby Grathom » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:24 pm

anyone here familiar with vusafe panels? i'm thinking about purchasing a few but would like opinions on them first. they seem like great alternatives to using plywood. Vusafe.com

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:46 pm

It will be interesting to see if that occurs. The 2009 season certainly has been a quiet season - not that those of us in the hurricane impacted areas complain about quiet seasons! (Of course the Philippines has been having a lot of activity the last 10 days.

gina wrote:Actually I read something recently that said that El Nino is providing enough wind shear that any storms that have formed are effected by that; however, the last two weeks of October that cycle of wind shear will lessen so any storms that form would have more potential or surviving.

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Fri Oct 02, 2009 12:50 pm

I have not tried the panels, but Miami-Dade County in Florida does testing. I am reasonably comfortable with their process. The problem is that looking at the vusafe.com website, I don't see that they have been Miami-Dade (or Florida for that matter) tested. Without that I am always a bit reluctant to trust the testing.

After Andrew Miami-Dade really beefed up its standards and the panels we used in Key Largo were Miami-Dade approved.

If the only comparison is to plywood, then I am sure they are preferable - they look easier to install and are no doubt more reliable in comparison to plywood.

Grathom wrote:anyone here familiar with vusafe panels? i'm thinking about purchasing a few but would like opinions on them first. they seem like great alternatives to using plywood. Vusafe.com

Return to “2009 Hurricane Season Discussion”