Tropical Storm Alberto (aka the old Tropical Depression One)

Ready to talk about the 2007 hurricane season? - locked now!
hurricane
Site Admin
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Tropical Storm Alberto (aka the old Tropical Depression One)

Postby hurricane » Sat Jun 10, 2006 11:34 am

TD One, the first tropical depression of the 2006 Atlantic hurricane season formed this morning and may be named Tropical Storm Alberto by the end of the day...http://www.hurricane.com/storm-1.php

[editted topic name since it is now TS Alberto]
Last edited by hurricane on Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

it might hit here
Which is the largest number?: 9

Postby it might hit here » Sun Jun 11, 2006 12:29 am

That is a big TD. Hope it doesn't get too bad. That'd probably be a big hurricane. Meteorologists seem sure that it'll stregthen. I think they know more than what they want to tell us.... :x
oh no the hurricane must go

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Sun Jun 11, 2006 11:17 am

it might hit here wrote:That is a big TD. Hope it doesn't get too bad. That'd probably be a big hurricane. Meteorologists seem sure that it'll stregthen. I think they know more than what they want to tell us.... :x

Well Tropical Depresson One is Tropical Storm Alberto as of June 11 at the 11am advisory. Arlene became a tropical storm on June 9th last year, which may mean nothing more than we are still primed for a busy season.

It does have a large rain area, but from the look of it the rain and the center are spread apart.

weatherfreak

Postby weatherfreak » Sun Jun 11, 2006 7:57 pm

Yeah it is very poorly organized. It looks almost as though the low pressure is trying to reform farther east, under the heavier convection.

Hurricane, what do you think?

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Sun Jun 11, 2006 10:32 pm

weatherfreak wrote:Yeah it is very poorly organized. It looks almost as though the low pressure is trying to reform farther east, under the heavier convection.

Hurricane, what do you think?

It kind of looks that way. We have already gotten rain (not enough given the drought). Given the sheer I doubt it will get its act together much though (maybe some stronger) or have the main center reform under much convection...I guess we'll see though...it is really all guessing. ;-)

weatherfreak

Postby weatherfreak » Mon Jun 12, 2006 12:23 pm

Yep just like we thought the center has reformed farther to the northeast. The NHC lastest discussion has it possibly becoming a Cat 1 hurricane before landfall. The windfield is very large with tropical storm force winds extending outward some 230 miles from the center!

Just out of curiosity Hurricane...where are you in Florida?

Wherever you are I hope you are safe and get through the storm with no ill effects!

Sincerely,
Brian

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Mon Jun 12, 2006 8:39 pm

weatherfreak wrote:Just out of curiosity Hurricane...where are you in Florida?

Hi Brian,

Right now I am in the NE Florida area (near Jacksonville). I've been in the Ft. Laud area, Miami and Key Largo at various points over the last 10 years.

Right now the rains haven't been very bad here and neither have the winds. Time will tell what we end up getting.

There looks to be a small band a bit south of us right now (9:30pm), but not much behind that...

If the convection builds around the center tonight and tomorrow morning then we'll (and elsewhere in FL/GA etc) will probably get more rain and wind, but it really cleared out this evening. ;-)

Chris

weatherfreak

Postby weatherfreak » Tue Jun 13, 2006 9:36 am

Hey Chris,

Glad to hear the weather has not been too bad for you! Looking at the satellite and radar imagery this morning, it looks like the clouds have encircled the low pressure center but there doesn't seem to be as much rain as yesterday. However, it does look as though, if the storm continues on it's current track, the center will pass very close to you. You will probably get some gusty winds throughout the day but hopefully that's about all!

Please keep us posted on your situation there. I will be checking back here frequently ( in between watching the coverage on The Weather Channel! ).

Yes, I'm one of those people who actually WATCHES The Weather Channel!

I don't call myself weatherfreak for nothing!

Take Care,
Brian

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 12:26 pm

We've had some rain, nothing very heavy on and off today. Some wind, but not a lot. Gusts into the low 20s maybe, but not much more yet.

Lots of clouds with only about 5 minutes of sun so far today...the rain was good!

hurricane
Site Admin

Re: Tropical Storm Alberto (aka the old Tropical Depression

Postby hurricane » Tue Jun 13, 2006 8:24 pm

Regarding your question, no power out very near me, but in the metro area there were reports of some power being out - not a large percentage though (e.g. << 1% of Jacksonville Electric's customers).

I purchased a big generator that runs on propane from the 500 gallon tank in my yard so as long as it isn't under water I am good here. ;-)

There are two tropical waves out there that will be watched closely no doubt! ;-)

Return to “2007 Hurricane Season Discussion”