Special Questions

Discuss the 2010 hurricane season
skandadhara
Which is the largest number?: 10992

Special Questions

Postby skandadhara » Fri Sep 10, 2010 7:45 pm

Hello Everyone
This is Mr.Murali
I'm extremely interested in Atmospheric Sciences even though I've different academic profile
I check global weather everyday, especially during hurricane seasons
I would like to share couple of my questions here....hoping for help from all my friends here

1. Is it possible for a North Atlantic Hurricane formed on the west coast of Africa to cross Central America all the way Atlantic Ocean(Instead of making landfall on North America), and jump into East Pacific Ocean and sustain for a long time?Why or Why not?
2. If it's possible, Do we have any North Atlantic Hurricane in history like that?
3.Why East Pacific Ocean Hurricanes can't travel all the way up to Western Pacific Ocean(East Asia),just like our Atlantic Hurricanes formed in west coast of Africa making landfall in North America?

Thanks in advance my friends
If you would like to share anything on this topic,please email me.....My email is skandadhara@yahoo.com
Take care Guys and enjoy the exciting weather

hurricane
Site Admin

Re: Special Questions

Postby hurricane » Mon Sep 13, 2010 12:20 pm

It is possible and some storms have made it across Central America and re-developed in the Pacific after being weakened by crossing. It is not very common, but it does happen.

skandadhara

Postby skandadhara » Mon Sep 13, 2010 11:18 pm

That's really exciting to know....
Thanks

I'm really surprised after observing Hurricane Igor formed recently....It was so calm for 2 days and suddenly its strength increased from category 1 to category 4 in very short time....rapid intensification...its so amazing.....the satellite pics reminds me old southern hemisphere 2006 cyclone Monica
I'm expecting the low pressure residing just near to Caribbean islands to become named storm....Igor,Julia and new named storm (if possible)......"Triplets"
It looks like 2010 will become most important and unforgettable hurricane season for USA

hurricane
Site Admin

Postby hurricane » Fri Sep 17, 2010 4:41 pm

It will definitely be interesting, I doubt it will get into the greek alphabet though!

Hurricane Karl could be one of the storms you are talking about depending on how quickly it gets across the land and back into the Pacific. It will be interesting to see if it redevelops in the Pacific.

I agree that Igor intensified quite quickly, the satellite pictures that show the entire picture are always amazing!

skandadhara wrote:That's really exciting to know....
Thanks

I'm really surprised after observing Hurricane Igor formed recently....It was so calm for 2 days and suddenly its strength increased from category 1 to category 4 in very short time....rapid intensification...its so amazing.....the satellite pics reminds me old southern hemisphere 2006 cyclone Monica
I'm expecting the low pressure residing just near to Caribbean islands to become named storm....Igor,Julia and new named storm (if possible)......"Triplets"
It looks like 2010 will become most important and unforgettable hurricane season for USA

Return to “2010 Hurricane Season Discussion”