Solar Eclipse! Some viewing tips if you don't have the special glasses.

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Solar Eclipse! Some viewing tips if you don't have the special glasses.

Post by MauEvig » Sun Apr 07, 2024 10:14 pm

No eclipse glasses? No problem! You can take a piece of paper like card stock or an index card and punch a tiny hole in it. Then hold it over the other piece of paper and watch the shadow of the eclipse that way.
Apparently kitchen colanders or cheese graters work too or something with holes in it that can project the shadow of the eclipse.
If all else fails I guess you can use the shadows of the trees and watch through the shadows on the ground.
If you're really feeling adventurous and creative, you can make a shadow box.
But personally I'll probably use the paper/card stock method or something like that.
But just remember, do NOT look at this thing directly. Don't shine your phone cameras at it either. Cameras and eyes without proper protection can cause permanent damage. Be safe out there.
Another note...keep your pets INDOORS! Pets can suffer eye damage as well and it can cause them confusion. Better safe than sorry, keep "Fluffy" and "Fido" inside!
Enjoy the eclipse if you get a chance! Not something that happens every day. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Solar Eclipse! Some viewing tips if you don't have the special glasses.

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Apr 08, 2024 4:27 pm

Good advice, Mau. We didn't even try, because it wasn't total in our area, and we had a mostly cloudy day anyway. We were very fortunate to see a total solar eclipse on our very street back in August of 2017. The sky was cloudless, and we got the whole remarkable experience. Not something I feel compelled to do over and over again, but very neat to see once in a lifetime.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Apr 08, 2024 9:10 pm

It was a non-event here.

Not only are we in the 10% zone, it was cloudy.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Apr 20, 2024 6:50 pm

Thank you! I'm always glad to share helpful advice whenever I can.
School actually did issue some (very cheap mind you) eclipse glasses. I only got a glimpse of it. It made a crescent moon shape on the sun. Of course where I'm at we're not going to get the total eclipse. It was cloudy though, but occasionally it would peak through the clouds. It only lasted a few moments and I had a nice chat with my neighbor. And she kindly gave me a lemon tree she'd started by seed. On another note, I could probably learn some gardening tips from her. lol
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Apr 21, 2024 10:25 am

Wow, she started a lemon tree from seed? Like, from a grocery store lemon? I wonder if they stay true to type. What a neat gift, though!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Apr 22, 2024 9:21 pm

A neat gift indeed!
Though as far as true to type goes, I'm honestly not sure. I know it's tricky with apples because the seeds are pretty random as far as what kind of apple will sprout...will it be sweet, sour, big or tiny? It's hard to say. But I don't know much about lemons or citrus fruit. All I know is that I'll probably have to keep it potted and bring it in during the winter months since it's a tropical fruit, and we don't live in the right climate to keep it outside year round.
I'll just concentrate on keeping it alive for now and if it makes it long enough to produce lemons, I'll let you know.
And maybe make some lemonade. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Apr 23, 2024 8:30 am

Yes, let me know!