New Year's Resolutions for 2024

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: New Year's Resolutions for 2024

Post by MauEvig » Sun Jan 07, 2024 6:32 pm

Both I think. The hurdles of getting a license I found are pretty challenging, as I have to pass not only the praxis, but the VCLA, or the Virginia Compentency and Literacy Assessment. Now, I did pass the VCLA but I found the praxis far more challenging and I need to find time to study for it so I can better prepare to take it. Then I have to make a trip to Roanoke to take the test. Found out the hard way that taking it online is so restrictive, in the end you're better off just making the trip and make a day of it.
Since I want to become an English teacher, jobs tend to fluctuate. I know of teachers who were able to get positions without a license when there were shortages, but that wasn't the case with me. Any time I'd ask, I get ignored and shoved to the wayside.
That said, I do plan to look into Virtual Virginia. Virtual Virginia was popular during the pandemic and I feel like their program would enable me to work from home. I guess we'll see, but last I checked they needed secondary and middle grade English teachers. Upper grades are more my target age group.
I enjoy working with the younger ones, don't get me wrong. But I'd like to focus on a specific subject area rather than try to juggle several.
There's also the thing with elementary students being way more needy. Of course if that's what's available when I get my license, then that's what's available and I'll accept what I can get. But I also don't want to be trapped in a subject area I don't enjoy either.
I've worked every summer since I started being an Aide. I enjoyed the work at the high school since I helped the IT guy install programs on the computers. I found I really enjoy doing stuff like that. Last year I couldn't get into that since the IT guy couldn't get funding. He said I could still work doing that temporary gig even though I'd left the high school, but without funding his hands were tied. So I went on the paint crew for the district I'm in now instead. Paint crew isn't bad, lots of manual labor and you give the walls fresh coats of paint. I mostly did trimming. I learned a new skill if nothing else, and I liked working with the paint crew guys. Didn't pay a whole lot though and it was around that time my car broke down.
I think summer will be a good opportunity to hone some of my own skills, so I think you're right about that. This summer I plan to get some of my projects done and study for the praxis. Maybe that will also be a good time to get started on a side hustle. Writing, art, and even tutoring are things I'd consider doing. Plus there's just TONS of stuff that needs to be done around the house. Even if I don't make any extra money, we still get paid over the summer so it's not like I'll be losing out on anything. I just won't be gaining anything extra. I'm prepared to do that if necessary, since that's less wear and tear on my car and I'll have more time at home to get things done.
And maybe I'll have a more successful garden. :lol: I won't have a reason not to if I stay home this summer.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jan 07, 2024 8:16 pm

My husband got his first license in VA when I was at Mary Baldwin, but he tells me the tests he took have been replaced by the ones you mention. Instead of the praxis, he took the National Teachers Exam. His prof advised him, in that multiple choice test, to choose the answer that sounded like the most positive outcome for the student. He did that and missed only one question on that test. I don't know if that advice would help with the praxis, but I'd think it wouldn't hurt.

Reading your posts here over a number of years, you strike me as a good writer, so I can't imagine you'd have any problems with a test that measures your skills in your area of specialization.

I can sympathize with your difficulties breaking in to the system. In both Augusta County, VA, and here In Rutherford County, TN, nepotism abounds in public education. It's not impossible, but it's harder when you don't have those local familial ties. You have to be very persistent, and sometimes you have to accept a first position that is not your first choice. My husband's field is poli sci/government, but his first teaching gig was 8th grade English.

I believe the licenses usually specify the age group you are able to teach, and the licenses vary by state. My husband was never certified for the little biddies, but he was able to teach 8-12. He started out with 8th graders but moved up to high school and AP Government, Sociology, World History. When we moved back to TN, he again started with 8th graders, but History and Geography, not English. For many years now he's been teaching high school students as a special ed counselor for the intellectually gifted, with occasional side doses of AP Government.

He was wistful when he started teaching high school, because he'd come to love the 8th graders. He said, at that age, if you see them making mistakes that are going to ruin their lives, you can intervene and influence them, but by high school, it's too late. Another middle school teacher I knew, a band director, always insisted that middle school was the best age. He said the young adolescents are so passionate about their interests, and are not yet distracted by jobs, romance, etc.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:15 am

There is no such thing as luck, I worked for it.

This was a really long post, way longer than I intended it to be, but it was both a painful, and therapeutic stroll down memory lane. There is some subject matter that some people might find hard to read, so you have been warned. You can consider this post - everything you didn't want to know about me, and nothing you wanted to ask. :lol:

MauEvig, I know this is a very long winded way to answer your question, but I had to reflect on my journey, and it's necessary to explain how I got where I am. You can just skip to the end where I address you directly if you don't want to read it.

In a way, this is also a response to a post that Murf made in another thread, but I was too busy at the time to give a proper reply, I've posted the quote below so you know what I'm talking about.
Murfreesboro wrote: Fri Nov 24, 2023 10:56 am What a compliment, to be compared to Fezziwig! You sound like a generous and appreciative boss.
First, thanks for the kind words Murf, I appreciate it. :) Now, on with the story.

My father owned a gas station and auto repair garage, and he also dealt in used cars, and owned half of a taxi company with his brother, so to say that he was loaded would be a understatement. However, he was the cruelest man you could ever meet, and I don't mean just to strangers, but to his family as well. As a kid, I saw how he treated his employees and other people, he would degrade them, and always work them to death, and he enjoyed it. He would always brag to us about how they were his slaves and they didn't matter.

To give you a example of how evil he was, when I was 6 he brought my brother and I to work with him late one night, we didn't know why we were there, we walked in and saw a bunch of his employees standing in the garage, my father proceeded to give a long speech about loyalty, he was yelling and you could tell by the look on some of their faces that some of them were nervous. My father had a large metal tool in his hands, I don't recall what it was because I was so scared, he was walking back and forth while yelling, and then he suddenly hit one of the guys with the tool right in the chest, he then told the other employees to pick the guy up and hold him, and then my father used his fists and beat the s--t out of the guy right in front of us. He beat him for about 10 minutes, the whole time he was laughing maniacally, there was blood everywhere, and my brother and I stood in the corner crying because we thought my father was going to kill us next. After he was done, my father walked over to us with a smile on his face and told us that's what happens to people that steal from him.

He drove us home, and didn't say a word to us that night, he acted as if nothing happened, he ate his dinner and went to bed. We didn't tell my mother what happened, and we thought that he had killed that guy, but a few weeks later one of the secretaries that worked for my father came to visit us and told us that he survived, and that's how my mother found out about it. That secretary also told us that she was done working there, and she admitted that she was having a affair with my father, but that wasn't news to us because my mother already knew he was cheating on her. My father brought us to witness 2 more of his adventures in beating employees over the next few years, and he would always tell us that he was teaching us a important lesson about life.

My father had friends that were cops, so he didn't ever answer for his crimes, they would just ignore what he did. It was the 80s and things were different back then, and I know that the people he hurt feared him so they probably didn't try any legal action against my father. I remember one night my parents were fighting, and he was beating my mother, and we could hear her screaming from downstairs, so I called the cops and when they arrived, my father just told them you know how it is with women, and my father and the cops stood there laughing about it and then they went. That's how disgusting male culture was back then. I thought my father was going to pressure us to find out which of us called the cops, but he just turned to us and smiled, I guess he had enough fun for this night.

I'm serious when I tell you that the only time I ever saw my father smile was when he was hurting someone. I can remember one occasion when I was 9 and we were on the bus going to school, another kid was picking on my younger sister, so I waited until we got out of the bus and I punched the kid as hard as I could right in front of the teachers and other parents, so the school said that I couldn't ride the bus for a whole week. As you could imagine, I thought my father was going to beat me for it as he had done so many times before, but to my unbelievable surprise, he was happy about it, he told me that he was proud of me for hurting that kid, and that I should crush anyone that gets in my way, and he actually took us out to McDonald's that night. That's how he rewarded that kind of behavior.

There was one night I won't ever forget as long as I live, I was 8 and it was my mother's birthday, she brought us kids out to celebrate and we were with her the whole day, we knew my father would be home late as usual so we thought we would be back before he got home, but when we got there he was waiting for us. He immediately started arguing with her, and he accused her of being out there with a man, so she sarcastically said that she was out f-----g someone even though she was with us, then my father punched her in the face and knocked out her tooth, and beat her up and then threw her out of the house, she didn't come back that night.

I know that you won't believe what I'm going to tell you next, but I swear to you that it is the truth, and may I be struck dead by lightning if I'm lying.

Then my father went to the kitchen and started to drink beer, my siblings and I were sitting on the stairs across from the kitchen where we watched him go through a case of 24 cans of beer, when he was done, he walked right past us and went outside and got in his car. We just sat there because we were afraid and we knew what he would do to us. About 30 minutes later he got back with another 24 cans of beer, and he went straight to the kitchen and drank half of the case, then he went up the stairs past us, didn't say a word, and went to sleep. We were scared so we just sat on the stairs for another 2hrs before we finally went to the basement to sleep. To this day, I don't know how he consumed that much alcohol, safely drove to get more, came back and drank even more, and still woke up the next day. I know most people don't believe that story when I tell them, but my siblings and I know the truth, and The Lord knows the truth, so I don't care what other people think.

So eventually my mother had enough of his <deleted>, and when I was 10 she took us kids and walked out, leaving him and his money behind. My older sister was 16 and instead of sticking around to help my mother with the younger siblings, she went out on her own and made her way to Florida, where she still lives with her own family. We don't hold it against her because we know she had to do what was right for her. At first, things were great without him, for the first time in our lives we actually enjoyed Christmas, birthdays, and vacations without him starting a fight and ruining it for us, and even when he was around he didn't ever spend a dime on us, so even though my mother struggled, we were happy without him.

My mother had been kept in a cage like a animal for 17 years by my father, he didn't allow her to work, and she had been a stay at home mom so long that it was hard for her to find decent employment, but she did what she could and we got by, but by the time I was 13 things were getting really tough and I had to get my first real job to help out. I got a job as a mover during the summer, so while other kids my age were having fun, I got up every single day at 6am to go move boxes and furniture. I hated the job, I'm not going to bore you with the details, but I will say that I came home every day in pain, but the pay was good for a 13yr old, so I did that for the whole summer, and I continued to do that job every summer until I graduated high school.

When I got to high school I started working the nightshift and weekends at Home Depot in the shipping and receiving department, I was doing this while balancing school during the day. I was able to do this for a few reasons, I had some great teachers that were very understanding of my situation, so they gave me a certain amount of leeway, and because I have a great capacity for memory, I retained everything I learned and passed my tests rather easily. I've also mentioned before that I'm a insomniac, I'm absolutely serious about this, I've been this way since since I was a little kid, I'm usually awake about 20hrs a day, and it's normal for me. I mean seriously, have you ever noticed the time of day I make some of my posts? That's the reason I've actually had the time to watch those shows and movies, and why I can remember them, and other useless information, and why I could work those hours and still graduate.

I will be the first person to admit that during that time I was bitter about my situation, I looked at other kids my age and saw that they were getting a free ride from their mommies and daddies and I was angry that I had to it for myself, but my mother told me I was doing the right thing, and she was right. So after balancing school, Home Depot, and still working as a mover during the summers for a few years, I was able to help my family and I was still able to put something aside for myself and build on it. After high school I tried to go to college, but I quickly realized it wasn't for me, the thought of paying out for the possibility of a better job one day, when I could be making money now was just hilarious to me. Don't get me wrong, achieving a higher education is a great way to a good career, but I didn't have my mommy and daddy to pay my way, and I wasn't going to put myself in debt, so I chose my path and went to work.

A guy I knew from school told me about this place, he told me the owner was a decent person that took care of his employees and treated them right and the pay was good, so I checked it out. I was 19 when I started working here, and I worked my way to the top, and when my boss told us that he was retiring and he wanted to sell the business, I saw a major opportunity, so we made a deal and I bought the business as well as the 2 buildings he owned. I kept the name of the business because it was already established in the community, and to honor my boss, because he taught me how a business should be run, and I'm not talking about the actual business side of it, but how to treat every employee and customer like they are family.

We have expanded our business a few times over the years, most recently last Dec. when we opened a third business, and just a update on that, we did amazing with the launch, and we made more last year than we did in the last 3 years of business, it was a great season for us. I have also made some very smart investments over the years, like when I was in my teens I put some of what I made aside to invest in collectables, I went after comics and sports cards, and I don't mean that mass produced <deleted> from the 90s that every idiot was buying thinking that it would be worth something some day, I went after the items from the 50s and 60s that were 500 bucks back then, that now sell for 20 grand and higher, so I was smart about it. When I was 20 I also bought multiple pieces of undeveloped land for cheap, and over the years the surrounding land has been bought up by developers, I have had offers to buy the land, but I'm still holding out for now.

My mother is one of the kindest people you will ever meet, she is a fun loving, peaceful, religious person that loves life, so I have often wondered how she ended up with with a pathetic, alcoholic, psychopath like my father, and believe me, I have asked her multiple times, and I still haven't got a clear answer, she usually dodges the question, or just says that it was youthful indiscretion. She once told us a story about how she took a knife and shredded her wedding dress when she knew the marriage was over, I was 2 at the time so I don't remember it, but my older sister told us about it as well, how she watched our mother crying while ripping up her dress, but even after that she still stayed with my father for 8 more years.

Now I'm going to say something that might surprise you, that is, of course, if anyone is actually reading this. In some sick way, I should actually thank my father, because I learned from him what not to do in this life. You don't take your marital vows to beat and cheat on your wife, you don't hurt your kids, and you don't hurt and treat people wrong for no reason. My mother raised us well, and even though we grew up around his negativity, she taught us to be good people, and to be respectful to everybody. I still live that way today, I treat everybody that works with me like they are my family. Yes, there are times when I have to be firm, and some people might think I'm being a jerk, but that's part of running any business, you have to be tough or people will try to take advantage of you. I haven't ever once hit my wife or kids, and I never will, your kids are a gift from The Lord, and you don't ever mistreat them. I've learned that family is the most important thing in this life.

As I write this, I look around and I'm thankful for what we have, but I also know that nobody gave me anything in this life, I worked for it.

MauEvig - I want to wish you the best with your book. :)

I have a friend that has had her books published, and she told me that even though your publisher will promote your book, that the best way to get attention is to promote it yourself, as long as it's not a breach of your contract with your publisher. She mainly uses social media, as you reach the largest possible audience that way, and she would also print flyers and put them up in local bookstores, coffee shops, and on campus boards to get people interested. She has also sent free copies to various reviewers, and if they liked it they would promote it for her, but that method also has a opposite side, if they don't like the book they can be really mean with their reviews, so you have to have a thick skin and handle the criticism, not everyone is going to like every book, so it's best to pick reviewers that usually review books on the particular subject you have written.

If teaching makes you happy then you should try to go further with it, and do full time teaching like you said. Also, as with any new profession you might be interested in getting into, start slowly and make sure that you actually get pleasure from doing it, if you find that it's more frustrating than fun then you probably aren't going to enjoy doing it for a job on the side, or full time. Regardless of what you choose to do, just remember that no matter what other people tell you, as long as you always bet on yourself you will always win. :)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:23 am

That's a terribly painful story, HH, but I believe every word of it. There are aspects of it that remind me of stories I've heard in my own family connection. My aunt, my mother's sister, was married to an alcoholic who was quite brutal. He was not as successful as your dad was. He was a career military man (enlisted). She had fallen in love with him in high school and married him when they were both quite young. She got pregnant immediately and divorced him when their daughter was 5. But she remarried him when their daughter was 8, I suppose in part because the child wanted it, and in part because she really did love him. That's when it got really bad. The whole family was shipped overseas to Germany for three years. His drinking had gotten worse, and she had no money to leave him and come home. She was trapped in Europe. She used to say that she couldn't come home at government expense without his consent, and she couldn't trust any of the military men in authority not to tell him if she were to ask for help. It was a situation similar to what you describe with your dad and the police, only this was happening in the 50s. She told my mother later on about one night when she, their daughter, and their pet dog had hidden from him in the attic all night long, because she knew he was going to kill them all if he had found them. Anyway, somehow she survived all that, and she divorced him for good when she got home. My mother said she used to fear he might come after her sister even after the divorce, but he never did. The weird thing is, he was kind of like Jekyl and Hyde. I never saw him drunk, and when he was sober, he could be charming. He was also handsome in his youth, so I could understand why my aunt had found him attractive.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:47 am

Other aspects of your story remind me of what I've heard about my mother's father, who died before I was born. He was born into desperate poverty in Arkansas in the mid 1870s, before the end of Reconstruction. His father, a Confederate veteran and shop keeper, was murdered or maybe committed suicide when my grandfather was two. Somehow he died at his place of business of a gunshot wound, but it was after hours and had something to do with a poker game. His young widow attempted to support herself and four children as a seamstress, but without much success. Her fourth child was born a couple of years after her husband's death, and my grandfather would say, "I don't blame my mother for anything she did. Whatever she did, she did to feed hungry children." IOW, he believed his mother had taken to prostitution, at least at times. She developed cancer, apparently of the female variety, and died if it when my grandfather was eleven. He finished being raised by a grandmother who conspicuously favored his older brother. He left school after the fourth grade, and from then on, everything he did was to help the family financially. He would collect liquor bottles from behind the town saloon to redeem them for money. When the men learned he was doing that, they would throw the bottles onto a sawdust pile where they'd be less likely to break. He would deliver messages around town. One place he'd go was an opium den populated by Chinese men. He told my mother he saw then how listless and useless people were on drugs, so he never wanted to try any. Some nights he would choose to sleep in the cemetery, because he said it was the most peaceful place on earth.

Anyway, he was eventually apprenticed to an uncle by marriage, and learned the trade of house painter and wallpaper hanger, so that's how he supported his family for a long time. Then, when he was about 50 and had two teenage sons, he decided to do what he'd always dreamed of. He started an outdoor advertising company. Eventually the company expanded from sign painting to neon signs and billboards (they call them posters in the trade) on the highway. When my uncles retired in the 90s, they sold the business out of the family, but it still exists in Arkansas, and it bears my grandfather's name.

My mother said her dad's primary goal was to provide for the family. This included beautiful Christmases, since he had never known any as a child. So, like you, his whole adult life was shaped by his determination to make a better life for his family than he'd known growing up.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Jan 08, 2024 4:09 pm

Thank you for taking the time to read my post Murf, it's very much appreciated. :)

It's funny that you mentioned Jekyl and Hyde, because THAT is exactly what it was like, my father would show one side of himself to the world, but behind closed doors he was a monster. He was also attractive, so you add his success to that and you can understand how he easily got so many women to have affairs with. I think there are a lot of men that use the same attributes to manipulate and lure women into toxic relationships, just look at Brad Pitt, I have heard some horror stories about him, he is a guy that has everything a person could ask for, and he still treats his family like that.

I have had conversations with other guys that think they are trying to be smooth by talking in a derogatory way about women, like they are trying to impress me, referring to them as b-----s, w----s, and s---s. I always put those jerks in their place, and point out if they would like it if some guy was talking that way about a woman in their family, some guys immediately understand what I'm saying, while others continue being scum.

When I was a kid watching my mother get beaten by my father, I wished I could have helped her, but I couldn't, and I swore that I wouldn't ever treat a woman that way. I have had to stop some altercations in the restaurant before, where some guy was being abusive to his date, or even when a male employee was harassing the female staff, and I just don't get why men think they can treat women like that.

As the parent of 2 girls, I've already started to teach them not to accept any <deleted> from anyone, regardless of their gender, and I know that when they start dating, if any guy ever treats them wrong, he is going to regret it in ways he can't even begin to imagine.

Also, you're absolutely right, I strive to give my kids a better life than I had, and I think that everyone that has kids should want every generation that comes after themselves to have it better than they did. I have had people tell me that I spoil my kids, and maybe I do, but I have a really hard time saying no to them, or anyone else's kids, because I know what it's like to be deprived of the simple things in life. My father was the cheapest bastard you could ever meet, he wouldn't even buy his kids a pack of trading cards, and what did they cost back then, maybe 75cents a pack? He had the money to give us a good life, he drove around in a Jaguar with a expensive phone inside, but yet he wouldn't give us anything we wanted. So I won't be that way with my kids, I will get them anything they ask me for, within reason, because I can.

I think it's great that you know so much of your family history, good or bad, it's important that we carry those stories with us, because they make us who we are.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jan 08, 2024 7:27 pm

Lol. I am a Southern woman. We are story tellers. Well, at least we used to be. Lots of people think that's why so many good writers have come from the South. When I was a little girl during our lengthy visits up to Arkansas, I would lie on the floor coloring pictures while my mother and her sister talked endlessly about family members who had died long ago, people they'd known in their childhood and youth, etc. They thought I wasn't listening, but I was. That was something I learned that was different about my husband's family. His mother was a wonderful woman, very involved in her community, truly salt of the earth. But she wasn't a talker the way my mother was. Toward the end of her life I became her transportation to and from her many drs' appointments, and I would ask her questions I don't think my husband ever asked. I think I learned stuff about her childhood and youth her own kids don't know.

Eta: on teaching your girls to command respect. My aunt said she was naive about men, because she thought all men were like her father. She said girls who have been raised by good dads are more vulnerable than those who haven't. My mother told me that, around the time her sister married her husband, a neighbor of her husband's told my grandfather, "I hope he treats his wife better than he treated his mother." That stuck with me. You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats the women in his family. Years later, when I met my husband, I had become accustomed to going out with him and his friends on Friday nights. But there came a Friday when no invitation was forthcoming. So I asked him what was up. I knew he was interested in me. He told me that he was going home, because his sister, who lived out of state, was coming home. (We were students, so no one in our group was living at home.) That actually earned him big time Brownie points with me. I thought, "This is the kind of guy who will put his relationship with his sister ahead of a fledgling romance with a girl he just met. That's a guy who puts family first. I think he may be a keeper."

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Tue Jan 09, 2024 6:25 pm

I always enjoy your stories Murf. :)
You can tell a lot about a man by the way he treats the women in his family.
This is absolutely true.
My aunt said she was naive about men, because she thought all men were like her father. She said girls who have been raised by good dads are more vulnerable than those who haven't.
This is just like my mother's situation. Her father was a sweet and caring man, and he raised her in a very innocent way, so she thought that everyone was the same way, and I know that my grandfather was the same way with us for the very short time that we knew him. I have said before how much my grandfather meant to me, he taught me some of the most important lessons about how a man should treat family. I have often wondered what he would have done if he knew what my mother was going through in her marriage, I'm sure he and my uncles would have stepped in if they knew, but my mother didn't ever tell them, and she only told her family years later after my grandfather died, so he died thinking she was in a happy marriage.

It sounds like many other similar relationships you hear about where the man is sweet at first just to lure in some unsuspecting woman, then marries her and keeps her caged. I don't think that my father ever wanted a family, but it's something that was expected of men back then, it was a status symbol, so they did it because it's how men were measured as successful in those days. I'm sure that most of them actually wanted a family, and they loved and cared for them, but there are some people that obviously didn't want, or should have ever been allowed to have a family because of the way they were going to treat them.

When it comes to the way my wife and I are raising our kids, I will admit that in some ways we keep them very sheltered, like I said, they still believe in Santa, but in other ways we have taught them about the dangers that exist in the world. We clearly won't tell them about certain things until they are older, but they do know some of the things to look out for, like they know that there are bad people out there, and we teach them what we can for their age, they also take martial arts lessons, and I know that as they get older that we are going to have to tell them what kinds of guys to stay away from.

Also, this is something that I wanted to say in my initial post...

Most people assume that just because you own a business that you come from wealth, and I know that in most cases that is usually true, as in our society the wealthy just get wealthier, while the regular people struggle just to get by, but there are people such as myself that start at the bottom and work their way up, and as long as you are determined, then anything is possible, and that if I could do it, then anybody can do it.

I guess that is the message that I was trying to get across when I started typing that post, before it turned into my autobiography. :lol:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jan 09, 2024 8:07 pm

Well, I know it was a different era, but I think my grandfather was a truly self-made man, so I have always had that paradigm in my mind. I have never assumed that everybody with a good business somehow lucked into it. Also, I have some awareness of how very hard business owners work to start up their businesses and to make payroll. I know that, at least in the early years, most business owners are plowing everything back into the business, and they will pay everyone else's salary before they pay themselves.

I am not sophisticated about economics, but I do think our country was originally designed for yeoman farmers and small business people. I don't think the Founders, except maybe for Hamilton, foresaw the rise of major corporations like we have today. My younger son, who has read Adam Smith, says this was called mercantilism in the 18th century, and it wasn't the goal for a capitalist society. I think many people who think they dislike capitalism and capitalists don't grasp that distinction.

I guess I'd better shut up before I really wade out of my depth!

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 12:38 am

My addendum was a general statement, and not aimed at anyone in particular. It was just my thoughts on some of the comments towards me from people that I have met that think that what I have was just handed to me, without knowing what I went through to get here. So even though it bothers me when people assume that, I'm clearly not going to tell every person that I meet in real life my whole story, so I just let them think what they want to about me.

Yes, I'm in a good place now, and we live comfortably, but I'm certainly not a millionaire ... yet, but we are happy, and I'm thankful for what we have.

Your mentioning of the Founding Fathers made we wonder what would they really think of what the country has become? That would have been a great subject to write a report on in school.

On a funny side note, well, it's funny to me, I was skimming through my posts and noticed there was a certain word that got deleted, the word was c-r-a-p. This is even funnier because we are allowed to use the word crappy. <---------- Look! there it is, the word crappy, and it wasn't deleted. The restrictions on this forum are hilarious. :lol:

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 6:24 am

The standards and practices in here are stricktly family oriented, so even words in the contemporary vernacular that most folks wouldn't think are vulgar, are frowned upon.

Some long-time members will recall a member who, despite many blunt warnings regarding his use of explicit language, and extremely lurid topics, chose not to comply with the forums rules and was permanently banned.

I myself curse like a sailor, but only in situations where it's warranted, and among other like-minded individuals...and because I was raised by one.

However It's not as if the owner is some puritanical killjoy.

In the past if you used blue language, instead of seeing '<deleted>' it would show '<I'm an idiot>' to indicate a breach of protocol.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jan 11, 2024 10:59 am

That is funny!

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jan 11, 2024 2:29 pm

This forum being family friendly was one of the reasons that I joined. If anyone remembers, I was making my earliest posts with my kids sitting right here with me, but it wasn't busy here like on the Disney forums we post on, so they got bored and didn't come back, but I stuck around. Actually, I'm the only new blood to join in the last few years that stayed.

I know this place is outdated compared to other forums that are more active, so I understand why there is no point to put in the work to update or add new features when there are only a few people here that use the forums. Honestly, Andy and Murf keep this place going, the rest of us just stop in to visit.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:19 pm

Well, I think you and Mau have been pretty helpful, too.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Jan 11, 2024 7:48 pm

I like it.

It's akin to a secret fishing hole or a favorite mom and pop restaurant that has always survived due to good service and loyal clientele.

There are no ads, no pop-up surveys or any intrusive...anything.

I'd bet Chris keeps it on a tiny partition, hidden inside an old pc out of nostalgia, and it's based on some archaic messaging architecture from the 90s.

I will always be here until one of us suffers catastrophic failure.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.