Your homework young children....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Your homework young children....

Post by Nostalgiascape » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:28 am

No but seriously. I thought it might be fun if each of us picked out one movie about Halloween, or Horror, watch it, and then report your opinions of your chosen movie in here. It would be interesting to see which movie each person chose to watch, and what they reported on it.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:09 am

Wow, that's a greaty idea! Does the movie we report on have to be something we've never seen before? Or can it be our favorite one or what. I've done a movie review column before on Pirate movies, so I kind of know what I'm doing here but, to have everyone do a movie review I think is a GREAT idea......... how do we begin?

If it's all the same, I'll start with 'Lady in White'. :)

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Thu Jun 21, 2007 4:18 am

It can be a movie you've seen or not seen. But if you've seen it, try to watch a movie that you at least have not seen in a while. Everyone can start right away.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

NATUREPIXIE
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by NATUREPIXIE » Thu Jun 21, 2007 10:04 am

This sounds like fun! I've never done a movie review before, but I guess I can give it shot! :wink:

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Thu Jun 21, 2007 3:49 pm

I think this is an excellent idea, and it will be tons of fun. Who needs more excuses to watch scary movies? ME!!!!

I'm going to see if the GMW-hubby has any good stuff I haven't seen, then I'm going to check my Comcast On Demand, and after I exhaust all my free options, I'll check pay-per-view and Blockbuster.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:50 pm

Hey Everyone, Ok here's my 1st one. Hannibal Rising...

Last night at a girlfriends we watched it. It was way more then I expected. I've seen all in this series, and it's really hard for me to say I have any one favourite, they're all excellent.

I found Hannibal Rising to be so realistic in regards to the telling of how someone develops into the adult they've become. It was very tastefully done, very classy really, it had a strong essence of elegance to it which I just loved :D You could also almost picture it as a type of documentary of Lector, which I suppose in many ways thats just what it was. If you've seen the others in this series this is a must to see.
If I were asked "what were it's downfalls" none really if you understood why the producers probably created it in the way that they did, but there are those who still ask, so to this I would say; the only things I could remotely distracting was the slow pace at time, and it's consistently dark picture quality, which I realize was probably done on purpose, but a splash of brighter clips here and there might have caught the audience off guard instead of pacing you accordingly.

But overall, it was an excellent movie & a perfect starting point for the Series. Well worth seeing and a must have if you own the other parts in the series.

Hope this helped :D

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Thu Jun 21, 2007 5:59 pm

I am still sort of pushing Kenny & Company as my most recently-watched Halloween-related film, it is very little known and needs more exposure in my opinion. So yeah, buy it, find it, check it out because it is the 70's...if you were there, it'll be a perfect snapshot of that time; and if you weren't there, it will convey some sense of what that time looked like. Summers were more honest back then...the sun was honestly hot and pools more honestly cool!

I have a copy of "Phantasm II" coming in the mail, this is by the same director (Don Coscarelli) and it is a horror film I have not seen in some time. I'll post a few notes on it shortly.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Fri Jun 22, 2007 12:37 am

Great idea, Nos...I'll be participating soon.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Fri Jun 22, 2007 1:24 am

Haven't decided which film i'm picking yet. Will let you know soon.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Fri Jun 22, 2007 10:34 am

I'm thinking about Storm of the Century, does that count? Its and adaptation of a Stephen King novel, and I'm in vacay-to-Maine mode, and I've never seen it. By the way, Hoochy Hooch, we're doing a road trip up the east coast in November, I wonder how close I'll come to your neck of the spooky woods??
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 8:09 pm

GMW - storm of the century was a really good movie. Extra weird and creepy like the other stephen king movies. I surely think that would count. I believe I am going to make my move the nightmare before christmas.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:32 am

I just love Nightmare Before Christmas...I love all Tim Burton movies, he has such a unique view of the world. I'll be choosing and watching a movie in teh next couple of days...

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Jun 27, 2007 2:42 am

My report will be on The Devils Rejects.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Fri Jun 29, 2007 11:19 pm

The Devils Rejects-

Got meat? This is a gritty film, slathered in white trash, ever so seasoned with what the hell.

Another reason not to travel through patchwood Texas. Here you have a family of malcontents, bonded by their love for one another their and sadism towards everything else that moves. Nothing brings a family together quite like human suffering. But this family finds their law enforcement equivelant, and even they have reason to be concerned.

Would I recommend this movie to anyone? Yes. But then, i'm sick like that.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Jul 01, 2007 1:30 am

I watched "The Halloween Tree", written and narrated by Ray Bradbury, and for all us Star Trek geekers, starring the voice of Leonard Nimoy.

Fabulous story of friendship and love. Older antimation, but still great looking. The biggest treat for me was Ray Bradbury himself narrating the story. I loved the idea of the old man collecting souls and how the kids were so brave in saving their friend. It really had a great atmosphere of Halloween night, too..dusk, leaves flying, pumpkins glowing on the porches of the houses. I'd give it a thumbs up and recommend it highly.

Rated E for everyone!