Is Halloween Dying?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
TheHallow1
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Is Halloween Dying?

Post by TheHallow1 » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:31 pm

I'm sure this subject has been posted on this forum a few times before, but it's a matter that troubles me.
It just feels like Halloween might be declining in popularity, tradition, and interest.
I always hear people talking about the lack of trick-or-treaters every year. Will the tradition of Trick-or-Treating disappear in the years to come?
What else will Halloween lose?
What is happening to our beloved holiday?
Maybe I'm just overthinking it and scaring myself over nothing.
But I would like to hear your thoughts on the matter.
Trick 'r Treat

ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master

Re: Is Halloween Dying?

Post by ScarecrowJack » Sat Jul 12, 2014 1:44 pm

I don't think Halloween will ever completely go away, but how we celebrate it will change. All things evolve. Will trick-or-treat go away? I hope not, but it may. Honestly, trick-or-treat really only started in I believe the 30's. Considering the long history of Halloween, that isn't that much time. Now many centuries before there was souling, but it was a different tradition. And Halloween has always waxed and waned in popularity without disappearing all together. Will it change and evolve? Yes, it has too. All things do.

Will it vanish? I don't think so. It seems the more advanced we get, the more we need things that remind us of mystery and the supernatural. And we, as a species, need a release valve, a time to act outside the bounds of the normal. And there will always be people who embrace the dark, the strange, the macabre, the different. These people will enshrine Halloween in their hearts. I like to fancy myself as one of them and definitely seen a kindred spirit in you and everybody else on this board. So, rest assured that in the very least in our lives it will carry on. All we can do is spread how much we enjoy it in hopes of others embracing it too.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

TheHallow1
Haunt Master

Post by TheHallow1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 1:05 am

I couldn't have said it better myself.
That was incredibly well written.
Thank you, my friend.
You truly understand the reason for the season.
I actually am on something of a mission to seek out those that have the Halloween spirit within them and bring them together.
Perhaps we could start our own Halloween-based society.
Our very own Halloween town.
Trick 'r Treat

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jul 13, 2014 9:29 am

I agree, very well expressed, ScarecrowJack.

One change I think I have seen in my lifetime has been the increase of "destination streets," the highly-decorated ones, with a block party or carnival-like atmosphere. Parents tend to drive their children to these areas; consequently, there is less of the door-to-door TOTing in "ordinary" neighborhoods. And it is also true that neighborhoods themselves have a life cycle of sorts. When the families first move in and the children are little, the place is alive on Halloween night. But as the children mature and leave home, and the empty-nesters are left behind, the neighborhood gets quieter on Halloween night. I have seen this happen in the neighborhood where my own children (youngest now 17) went to grade school. It was brand-new when we first moved to town and the school had just opened, and Halloween was bubbling out there at that time. But now the people there don't even decorate like they used to do. Their kids are grown.

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Sun Jul 13, 2014 7:24 pm

I moved to austin last july and when halloween came around it was like a HUGE party. Even Fireworks, kids were TOT till about 1130 or later. LOVE IT. I think it is actually increasing in popularity.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

TheHallow1
Haunt Master

Post by TheHallow1 » Sun Jul 13, 2014 10:14 pm

tantraman wrote:I moved to austin last july and when halloween came around it was like a HUGE party. Even Fireworks, kids were TOT till about 1130 or later. LOVE IT. I think it is actually increasing in popularity.
It could be growing in some areas and shrinking in others.
Trick 'r Treat

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Mon Jul 14, 2014 9:49 am

that is possible.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Jul 14, 2014 4:37 pm

From a financial perspective Halloween is a big money maker in many areas of the country. If for no other reason that should ensure it hangs around awhile. That being said, In some areas the economy might not be doing well despite the overall money making we see. So perhaps people can't afford to put up big displays or buy candy and that gives the impression the holiday is dying.

Perhaps some areas don't have the children they once did too. I see adults taking up slack in many areas though with their own Halloween parties and get togethers. Going to a haunted house and watching scary movies all night is also a big thing now.

Imho, only two things can destroy Halloween. One would be an economic disaster that lasted for several years. The other would be an overall change in peoples attitudes towards the holiday. Towns/neighborhoods/schools/churches that have attempted to curtail or limit the holiday, have only had marginal and fleeting success. By and large things remain the same in most areas. The Holiday evolves and adapts and keeps on truckin'. I think it'll be around for awhile longer as long as we don't get too carried away in one direction or the other.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 3:29 pm

I look for little signs to let me know that halloween is still kicking.
For instance I saw this on a new neighbors car the other day.
Halloween & Reddit? I have to meet this person.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (92.29 KiB) Viewed 17687 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:59 pm

Halloween multi-reddit!!!

Mostly cosplay right now, Comic-con and whatnot.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Jul 15, 2014 5:19 pm

NeverMore wrote:

I found this:

link,http://graveyardcalling.bandcamp.com

Cassette tape...wow.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Tue Jul 15, 2014 7:49 pm

NeverMore wrote:

DragonCon has been coming to Atlanta since 1988 and it averages 70,000+ and it shows no slowing down in numbers. We had the first Comic-con here a few a months ago and it was held in a different venue and really didn't get much advertising done. Still it brought about 25,000-30,000 folks out to check it out. With better advertisement and planning, it should help increase its popularity. As long as folks have that disposable income, I think they'll be spending on things like this and it will carry over into Halloween as well.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Jul 16, 2014 3:40 am

Man... don't get me started. Comic-con was the first pop-culture con, started as a comic book convention, is still the most renown convention of it's type in the world. Unfortunately, from the moment Hollywood discovered it, it's become such a hassle to get in. Has definitely outgrown our little town. Fortunately, the same folks who started Comic-con have started another, back-to-basics convention, dedicated solely to comics, this time it's hands off to Hollywood. Some of the creators who used to go to the big Con are now waiting for this one. I've gone the last few years and, while not as exciting, it's much more relaxed. Reminds me of how Comic-con was ten years ago.

ScarecrowJack
Haunt Master

Post by ScarecrowJack » Sat Jul 19, 2014 7:14 pm

TheHallow1 and Murfreesboro thank you for your kind words. I think a Halloween community would be interesting. I would also like to see a Halloween convention sometime, something devoted entirely to Halloween. I think that would be a blast.
We're the farmer's scarecrows
We scare away the birds,
We keep the farmer's corn safe
Without any words.
But when Halloween comes
We jump out of the ground
And we scare the boys and girls
When they come walking 'round.

TheHallow1
Haunt Master

Post by TheHallow1 » Sat Jul 19, 2014 8:42 pm

Indeed, it would be.
I honestly cannot think of a better place to be than with others who have chosen to devote their very existence to all that is Halloween.
Trick 'r Treat