trick or treating better in the past or present?

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?

past
89%
present
11%

Total votes: 18

jackskellington17
Zombie
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by jackskellington17 » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:23 pm

too me it was better in the past because more people were activley involved with halloween and the trick or treating
the halloween fanatic

revelesnet
Crypt Keeper

Post by revelesnet » Fri Jun 22, 2007 6:33 pm

Maybe I'm getting bitter in my old age and starting to sound like my grandpa but back when I was a kid I do not recall a house in our neighborhood not participating during Halloween of course we didn't have the type of decorations we have now but everyone tried to out do each with other with the treats (i.e. candy apples, popcorn balls, little bags filled with toys/candy etc.). Now were lucky if half of the neighborhood participates and everyone gives out the same type of candy, no imagination that’s why we try and do something different every year and the amount of trick or treat’ers we get increase every year.
Is it Halloween yet? and by the way it's not makeup it's jaundice.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Jun 23, 2007 2:49 am

I agree, I'm afraid I'm getting old, too, but it just dosen't seem like as many people participate as when we were kids, does it? We used to have a ball going from one house to the other. I'm trying to revive my neighborhood, though. We just do the best we can with our little piece of the world! :D
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 23, 2007 3:37 am

Where's the 'As good as it ever was' option? :D

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Wed Jun 27, 2007 7:09 pm

I'm inclined to be biased as my childhood seems more magical than Halloween in modern times.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Jun 28, 2007 8:17 am

Halloween has grown into the second biggest money-making holiday (the first of course is Arbor Day). Yard haunt paraphernalia is larger and more elaborate with an endless array of choices, both in stores and online. Many parents, including myself and my wife, not only dress up now (whereas our parents did not) but have their own holiday parties and activities to attend. Older kids have kept trick-or-treating and the groups of vandals out looking for trouble have all but vanished (at least in the neighborhoods I have lived in).
I'd say Halloween is better than ever.

LawP
Haunt Master

Post by LawP » Thu Jun 28, 2007 11:09 am

When I was a kid it seemed like there were loads of TOTers compared to today. But I actually enjoy Halloween more now that I've become an obsessed collector of all things Halloweeny. Like Madam Hooch, I'm slowly but surely getting my "hood" in the spirit. I'm not a major haunter like some of you awesome folks but my decorating is whimsical and attracts attention.
Don't drink and fly...

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Fri Jun 29, 2007 8:25 pm

Around here trick-or-treating is fading fast. Each year the number of tot's has decreased because parents are too concerned with letting their kids go out. I think we had around 15 or 20 last year. But back when I was a kid, I remember the streets being PACKED, and houses would get hundreds of kids. And keep in mind this was only 10 or 15 years ago.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jun 30, 2007 12:48 am

I've mentioned before that we've only gotten two or three TOT's in the four years we've been here.
Well, We'll be moving in a few months so maybe this Halloween will be different. I sure hope so!!!!!!

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Jul 02, 2007 1:58 am

Trick or treating should be done at night, with your friends. We wouldn't think of having it any other way. Now the kids are trotted around in the afternoon with the parents supervising it all. Bah! Where's the magic in that? The jack-o'-lanterns, fog machine, and screaming skull on the front porch all look better after dark.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:30 pm

I totally agree - the fun is when the sun sets and you can see the spooky lighting at peoples homes, see the kids with glowsticks and enjoy the pumpkins sitting on people porches!

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:34 pm

Toting was better before.
not saying 20-30 yrs before either, 5 yrs ago it was better

it's a shame that kids can't enjoy the simple things anymore coz some a$$holes (pardon the language) had to ruin it by being sick and disgusting wanting to hurt kids
trick or treat

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sun Aug 19, 2007 6:38 pm

The poisoned candy scare is pretty much a myth. Snopes has more.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:31 pm

I am kind of curious how much of a big deal poisen candy is. Are there really a lot of cases of childrens candy being tampered with?

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:31 pm

You could read the links I supplied in my message above.