Don't buy "Great Value" Ice Cream sandwiches!

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Don't buy "Great Value" Ice Cream sandwiches!

Post by MauEvig » Thu Jul 31, 2014 11:28 pm

This video shows why it's a bad idea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SozZHZAWS64
I know I won't be buying Great Value brand anymore, too bad it doesn't live up to it's name!
I might try a similar experiment with other brands of Ice Cream sandwiches.
For Science!
I'm actually kind of scared to know what they are putting in these things. Definitely not real ice cream for sure.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Don't buy "Great Value" Ice Cream sandwiches!

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Aug 01, 2014 3:05 am

I found an article about engineered food developed by the military that you might enjoy reading.

Although not mentioned in the article, high temperature melt ice cream was concocted during WWII for troops in desert combat areas.

http://phoenixpatriotmagazine.com/artic ... tary-food/
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Aug 01, 2014 10:04 am

That's an interesting read Andy. I didn't know Margarine was supposed to be a military based food alternative for butter in france. The more you learn!

I wouldn't mind learning more about what's in my pantry now. I do understand that things like canning and pickling (which is in full bloom right now with people buying canning jars) were originally means of preservation back in the good old days. Now something meant for survival in the winter is just a treat people enjoy. Homemade jams and jellies, even sausages were originally meant as a way to preserve food.

But I'm a bit skeptical of eating those ice cream sandwiches now. I suppose if they weren't safe to eat they wouldn't be on the shelves, but still, a lot of things that are allegedly safe to eat are on the shelves and offered to the public. I think the FDA even allows for a very, very small amount of toxin in food, and many pesticides can be found in our fruits and vegetables. In Europe, and I think it's the UK particularly, I've heard that they've declared many of our foods unsafe by their standards.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Aug 02, 2014 11:12 am

This came out after the original video.

"WCPO thankfully followed up with their original fear-mongering story with a little real research by interviewing nutritional scientist Grace Yek who helped the world make sense again. According to Yek, Walmart uses the plant-based stabilizers guar gum and cellulose gum to prevent the ice cream from becoming gross and crunchy. Yek explained, “they do serve a purpose in that they give even high-quality ice cream that mouth feel, that creamy texture, and the minimization of ice crystals,”

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 03, 2014 8:32 am

I guess I'm weird, but I actually like the ice cream that is very crisp and will turn to ice if you let it get old. Breyers used to be that way, and it was my favorite brand. However, I think they decided not very many people appreciated its freshness, and they modified it somewhat. It is not as crisp as it once was.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Aug 04, 2014 11:09 am

I think I'm with you on that Murf. I like Ice Cream that actually melts.
I thought Breyers was a good brand and sometimes they have it on sale. I'm finding I really like this Generic brand though. The store brand is IGA where I work and the IGA New York Vanilla Ice cream is amazing! One of my co workers said the "Better Value" is pretty good too. (Not to be confused with Walmart's Great Value lol). Better Value is about as plain as you can get, it always comes in a yellow label. But I've been told when it comes to generics, not to judge a book by it's cover. I've had some pretty good generic brands, of course I've grown up in a thrifty household when it comes to groceries. We'd get the name brand every so often, but sometimes the generic brands will surprise you. On the other hand, there are some things that just can't be matched with generic, like most sodas (there's a few exceptions) and things like Miracle whip. I often buy generic ketchups though because, to me ketchup is ketchup. Same with mustard. But if the name brand is on sale and a better price than the Generic, or only about .50 cents more or so, I might get the name brand.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 05, 2014 7:39 am

Well, the thing about generics is, most of them are made by the name brands. Kroger doesn't have factories producing ketchup, ice cream, salad dressing, etc. Often you can tell by the shape of the bottles who is making the generic.

My husband is finicky about ketchup, wants only Heinz, so we don't go generic on that one (or on Worcestershire sauce, as I am the finicky one there--only Lee & Perrins for me). But we are pretty sure from the shape of the bottle that Hunt's is making Kroger's ketchup.

Sometimes we can tell that the name brand is maybe leaving one ingredient out. Or, if you buy, say, generic "Triscuits," many of them will be broken. Obviously factory seconds, but they taste the same.

An aside, since you live in Virginia now--Mary Baldwin College was expecting a huge legacy from the Hunt sisters when they passed on. I was working there when they were still alive. I am not sure if they have died or not. But Hunt's ketchup is a big benefactor of that college. Of course, Mary Baldwin was for generations a top choice for Southern girls. There have always been many students there from Texas. Maybe the Hunt sisters went there, too. I am not sure if they are alumnae.

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Tue Aug 05, 2014 8:25 am

I knew you had good taste, Murf. I like Lea & Perrins steak sauce.

Remember only about 15 years ago that all the generic products were in all white packaging with bold black lettering? I am surprised that it took them so long to realize that was unappealing and definitely hurt the sales.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 05, 2014 9:45 am

Boogeyman wrote:I knew you had good taste, Murf. I like Lea & Perrins steak sauce.

Remember only about 15 years ago that all the generic products were in all white packaging with bold black lettering? I am surprised that it took them so long to realize that was unappealing and definitely hurt the sales.
That takes me back. The convenience store in the movie Repo Man.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 05, 2014 5:06 pm

Thanks, Boogeyman. Yeah, just L&P for me.

Not sure how many states have Kroger's. I believe when I lived west of the Mississippi they were all called Safeway. Anyway, if you have a Kroger store near you, their "Private Selection" brand is really good. Their cheaper house brand, not so much.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Aug 05, 2014 6:32 pm

There's one nearby but it's about a 45 minute drive. Food Lion is a bit closer.
When it comes to steaks I used to be an A1 type of person, but now I'm hooked on Country Bob's. If I'm having steak, I gotta have the Country Bob's. lol.
I also was introduced to Cheer Wine, good stuff there. It's a cherry soda made in the Carolinas, a Southern Soda. I'm sure you've heard of it Murf. They call it that because it resembles wine, just like Root Beer and Birch Beer resemble beer, however they are non-alcoholic. When I lived in New York I had to order it online and it cost me a small fortune to ship it. Thankfully I can usually just find it in Wal Mart now.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 06, 2014 9:39 am

Yes, I am familiar with Cheer Wine, although I am not a soda person myself. (And I won't tell you how old I was before I learned to say "soda" instead of "Coke," because, where I come from, every soft drink is a Coke. When a person asks for a Coke, it is the most natural thing in the world to ask, "What kind?")

Boogeyman
Halloween Master

Post by Boogeyman » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:28 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Yes, I am familiar with Cheer Wine, although I am not a soda person myself. (And I won't tell you how old I was before I learned to say "soda" instead of "Coke," because, where I come from, every soft drink is a Coke. When a person asks for a Coke, it is the most natural thing in the world to ask, "What kind?")

Haha. That is how it is here Murf. Or it is called pop but using Coke is more common.
There are a thousand hacking at the branches of evil to one who is striking at the root.

Henry David Thoreau

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Aug 06, 2014 12:56 pm

Boogeyman wrote:
Murfreesboro wrote:Yes, I am familiar with Cheer Wine, although I am not a soda person myself. (And I won't tell you how old I was before I learned to say "soda" instead of "Coke," because, where I come from, every soft drink is a Coke. When a person asks for a Coke, it is the most natural thing in the world to ask, "What kind?")

Haha. That is how it is here Murf. Or it is called pop but using Coke is more common.
West coast here: soft drink or soda.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Wed Aug 06, 2014 1:51 pm

It's soda here too and pop in Ark., that where most of my family was from, it's kinda funny, every area is different. :wink: