The Halloween Tree

For all your spooky, ghosty, haunted and otherwise Halloween-y television show discussions!
Cadaverino
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

The Halloween Tree

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Jul 02, 2007 2:50 am

The 1993 animated version of Ray Bradbury's THE HALLOWEEN TREE is in some ways even better than the book. Bradbury won an Emmy Award for writing the screenplay, and he provides the opening narration.

Yet it hasn't been on television in the last two years. And it still isn't available on DVD. Friends, we can't let another year go by without a visit from Mr. Moundshroud and company. Let's drop a line to the Cartoon Network and TNT to ask them to program this.

By the way, for those who really loved the book, a special edition was published in 2005 that had not only Bradbury's preferred text (his editor cut it down a bit), but the screenplays he wrote in 1967 (yes, the book grew out of an unproduced television special) and 1992.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:21 am

One of my all time favorite books, but to be honest I never cared for the animation used in the special. I just checked Amazon and the current available copy of the 2005 edition you spoke of is selling for $110!!!

However, a hardcover version with the same restored material is due out this August. For those of you interested here's a link;

http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-Tree-Ra ... 915&sr=1-4

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Jul 02, 2007 8:48 am

I think Amazon has erred. The reissue edition coming out in August 2007 is not the 2005 special edition, it's just the same novel published in 1972 with new cover art. They have mistakenly used the Publishers Weekly review of the special edition. One hint is in the length: the 2005 special edition was 494 pages long, this reissue edition is 160 pages.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Tue Jul 03, 2007 8:25 am

Well that bites! I'd love to have that edition, but at $110 I just can't justify the purchase. Ah well. :?

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Tue Jul 03, 2007 1:56 pm

A new copy is available from a seller at Amazon for $50.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Tue Jul 03, 2007 7:44 pm

I recently watched this for the first time, and absolutely loved it. I'm definitely going to read the book. I have always loved Ray bradbury.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Wed Jul 04, 2007 2:35 am

I, too, saw it for the first time resently and loved it, as well. I think this could REALLY be turned into a big budget movie...... IF it was done right and by the right people!!!!

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Jul 09, 2007 8:53 am

MHooch wrote:I recently watched this for the first time, and absolutely loved it. I'm definitely going to read the book. I have always loved Ray bradbury.
If you love the show then the book will send you over the edge. I don't know that there has been a better book written about Halloween. I'd call it perfect.

Wicked
Crypt Keeper

Post by Wicked » Mon Jul 09, 2007 11:10 am

For school, we were required to read The Martian Chronicles by Bradbury two years ago, and I was so disturbed by it...

Gathering my courage to read (/see) another work of his!
~ do you think me wicked? ~

_Vampire_Princess--O
Zombie

Post by _Vampire_Princess--O » Mon Oct 29, 2007 3:34 pm

we have to watch this for a school project....
__Vampire__