Your July halloween movie: CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN

Discussion of general Halloween topics
uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Your July halloween movie: CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN

Post by uncletor » Tue Jul 03, 2007 11:00 pm

Ever hear of K. Gordon Murray?
He was a Florida wheeler dealer who imported Mexican horror movies and dubbed them into English and then released them in drive ins when I was a kid. The dialogue was written to fit the actors lip movements, NOT what they were saying, so sometimes the translations were VERY over the top.
But you got to the point where you DUG that. Right up there with Ed Wood dialogue.
Now, you could break the stuff he imported into ROUGHLY three groups. There were the REAL good horror flicks...ones that could stand up with the best of the Italian or Universal movies. Then there were movies that were part of a series. And there were the 'comedies'.
The first group, the horror classics, were: WITCH'S MIRROR, BLACK PIT OF DR. M, BRAINIAC, and maybe WORLD OF THE VAMPIRES. And your movie for the month, CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN.
The second group were films that were made from 12 part serials like the NOSTRADAMUS series..or the SANTO (SAMPSON) wrestling movies, THE WRESTLING WOMEN movies, the VAMPIRE movies (THE VAMPIRE, THE VAMPIRE'S COFFIN), the AZTEC MUMMY series, a couple of others.
The thrid group...the 'comedies', were played first at the drive ins, in case the kids were still awake. They were PHANTOM OF THE RED HOUSE or BRING ME THE VAMPIRE. The humor is really STRANGE to look at. They SEEM to be sort of a Jerry Lewis knock off but usually come off looking brain damaged. I put 'comedies' in quotation marks because now they look more quirky then funny.
After the 'comedy' was done, you'd get one of the series films...and then onto the REAL horror classic.
So tonight, at OUR imaginary drive in, lets take a look at CURSE OF THE CRYING WOMAN..actually sort of based on a Mexican folk legend. Girl finds out she is gonna be the next female vampire in line; The star is Abel Salazar, the Christopher Lee of Mexican horror movies..Mr. Everything. He'd write, direct, produce, star, you name it. Actually STARTED the whole shebang with THE VAMPIRE and THE VAMPIRE'S COFFIN...great vampire movies that could stand with the best from ANY country...
We'd usually get these things for our long holiday weekends...dusk to dawn. Later they showed up again and again on late show, and then on public domain VHS labels in the 80's...ROBOT VS. THE AZTEC MUMMY everybody had...
Legal issues have kept them in and out of availability...Beverly Wiltshire used to put out $5 DVD's that sometimes would sell for 20 or 30 bucks on ebay, but since other labels have had a crack at them, the price has simmered down. Not BAD transfers, no extras, but the price WAS good at five bucks.
Also check out the lobby cards and posters...Mexican ones were much more colorful and entertaining then ours...I have a Val Lewton Mexican lobby card for ISLE OF THE DEAD that is mind blowing with demons coming out of the grave...
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Wed Jul 04, 2007 8:52 am

Didn't Murray also dub and release The Brainiac? I saw that one, it is pretty whacky.

uncletor
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by uncletor » Wed Jul 04, 2007 7:38 pm

yes, he did. Listed third up there.
But it is SOOO weird we will have to discuss it all by itself...very cool and funny and SOOOO off the wall..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future