Your homework young children....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
geekmidwinter
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Storm of the Century

Post by geekmidwinter » Sun Jul 01, 2007 11:21 pm

Okay, I'm obsessed with a lot of things, one of which is Halloween, of course, and the other is the state of Maine. So, I really like Stephen King. I know his books aren't art, and I know a lot of the movie adaptations suck, but I still like his stuff. That being said, I really really liked Storm of the Century. I think even someone not obsessive like me would like it. I think originally it was a mini-series, it's about 4 hours long, but it was not a book before, he wrote it as a screen play, which was later released as a book. This seems to stop it from falling in with a lot of his other movies that had a hard time making the translation from page to screen. Anyway, it was very atmospheric, very spooky, and for history buffs a new twist on an old mystery. I loved the bad guy, he was great and the main character was the guy from Wings, I think, I can't remember his name, but he did a wonderful job. I reminded me of my favorite things about Stephen King books, the great character development and story telling, and my favorite things about horror movies, it doesn't have to be gory or slutty to be fun and scary. I highly recommend it.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Jul 02, 2007 12:47 am

geekmidwinter, I'll have to see if I can rent it now & see what it's like :wink:

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Jul 02, 2007 10:34 pm

Me too! Thanks GMW!

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Tue Jul 03, 2007 9:47 am

that's 1 of my hubby's favorited stephen king works

definitely rent it if you can, it's crazy
trick or treat

halloweenqueen
Haunt Master

Post by halloweenqueen » Fri Jul 06, 2007 12:55 pm

I love this idea! Ill be reporting on a movie shortly...don't know which one to watch...there's sooo many great ones! I wanna pick something I've never seen before! Time to search Netflix!!!! YAY!!!! :D

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:19 am

PLAN NINE FROM OUTER SPACE (1959) 79 min.

Sometimes watching this movie in the off season, say summer or winter, and not at Halloween, is like walking the beach after Labor Day...you have time to consider things out of context..as if you were alone.
That's hard to DO now with Plan Nine. Everybody has had a wack at it since The Medved Brothers and their nasty book THE GOLDEN TURKEY AWARDS.
The unwashed will still tell you it's the worst movie ever made. Ha Ha.
There is a musical, there is a CD soundtrack. You can buy the script, after years of being available in unauthorized editions. Fox Muldar in THE X FILES says it's his fave movie. Scully just LOOKS at him. Cassandra (Elvira) Peterson says the same thing and I believe her.
Do you thank or groan that ED WOOD came along? It's one of Johnny Depps' best performances...very subtle...but the facts are SO torn up.
It's probably worth noting that hubcaps were NOT used..it was plastic flying saucer models...you could buy them at the store. Wood did NOT direct in drag..he wore suits...except in GLEN OR GLENDA when he worked both sides of the camera. but NOT here. The Baptists didn't CARE it was called GRAVEROBBERS FROM OUTER SPACE and it seems more likely someone did a title switchamaroo to take over the action.
Is it POSSIBLE to watch this through fresh eyes?
Try this...I found a guy who saw it when he was a kid...less then 12 years old, say. It scared the heck out of him. Criswell told Vampira that he made money off it as one of the investors. Played a small theatre in New York for A YEAR and then went on t.v. and NEVER came off it.
There is a PULL to the thing...despite the mistakes and the flubs. Despite the two million dull parts. Greg Luce, who writes the SINISTER CINEMA catalog, says it's NOT the worst movie ever made, but maybe the most loveable. Right on.
It's the ideal halloween party film, because you can drift in and out and still catch a lot of the good parts that people always bring up. Bela's stand in a full head higher then he is...patio furniture the same as inside furniture...the ghoul grabbing the cape as it is falling off when he is being fired at...you can get a list of flubs if you look long enough..
I think another reason it always comes up SOMEWHERE at Halloween, is because it's telling us to do what we all WANT to do at Halloween anyway..become our favorite character..get involved...BE Bela or Vampira or an alien leader...it's our culture and our icons reflecting back at us. It is, after all, not THAT much worse then some of the flicks Bela made for Monogram...go ahead try and watch INVISABLE GHOST sometime. What comes across here is the love and energy and dedication that Wood was able to bring out. EVERYBODY agrees he was up up up for the direction. And unlike others, he actually got in there and MADE the films.
Future events such as these will effect you in the future

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 2:34 am

I LOVE IT! Good job, UncleTor!