Halloween in the 70's vs Today

Discussion of general Halloween topics
tantraman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween in the 70's vs Today

Post by tantraman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:15 am

Thought this was an interesting article, funny, and somewhat true. I think they get a little carried away with the organic part of it though :D :D

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/jacquelin ... ostpopular

http://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpres ... weet-home/
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween in the 70's vs Today

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Oct 30, 2014 9:44 am

The Huffington Post article was funny, though exaggerated, of course.

I am glad I have never lived in one of those neighborhoods that tries to regulate TOT.

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Thu Oct 30, 2014 2:17 pm

yea I remember when I would never go with my parents, I would go either by myself or with friends, I remember once I wanted to be home by 930pm so I could watch Disneys Halloween Treat back in like 84-85 somewhere in there.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Oct 30, 2014 10:07 pm

Wow...I think the modern mom in the Huffington post was going way overboard with the safety and such. Organic everything? Including the costumes, and not even letting her kids have any of the candy except one tiny little morsel? That sounds so silly!

I don't think it was quite like that in the neighborhood I lived in for several years, although the kids were always accompanied by parents. Sometimes, the parents even got into it and dressed into costumes.

I have to say I like the 70's scenario better. I'd say the 90's were a transitional period, the period of my childhood. Even though I went with my mom (I think maybe once with dad) Trick or Treating, it wasn't that bad. Sure we checked the candy and stuff, but I still got to have it. I don't think I stayed up as late as the 70's kid did. I suppose for me the 90's were the "good old days." I've come to the conclusion though that it's the era you grew up in as a kid that becomes the "golden age" when you're an adult, and you think fondly back of childhood memories.

Still all I can say is...wow that's a huge difference. But I think the organic stuff is going overboard, even for "modern mom."

I do remember those cheap plastic costumes though. I wore a bugs bunny costume once that time my dad took me, his girl friend and her daughter trick or treating. I remember the other kid dressed up as "the devil's wife" which freaked me out a bit lol. I remember it rained that year and my costume fell apart while trick or treating.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Demonic Duck
Halloween Master

Post by Demonic Duck » Thu Oct 30, 2014 11:34 pm

Yes that's defiantly exaggerated a bit. I don't remember when we were allowed to go trick or treating growing up in the 80's-90's by ourselves but I think 10 or 12.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Oct 31, 2014 3:36 am

Ha ha! You younguns! Believe me, in the '60s and '70s we didn't need no parents holding our hands. Started going out by myself when I was 6 or 7.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Oct 31, 2014 9:48 am

That article is clearly exaggerated for satiric purposes.

I am probably older than all of you. My TOTing days were the '60s and very early '70s. My mother never let me go alone. She had already heard stories about kids getting kidnapped or abused by strangers on Halloween night, so she was always along. But I had great fun.