2014 Wrap Up

Discussion of general Halloween topics
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

2014 Wrap Up

Post by NeverMore » Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:15 am

Well... what do you know... we go how long without rain and guess what night it decides to show up? Had a heck of a time getting pictures of my jackos. Otherwise, the whole day was perfect Halloween weather. Typical fall day you folks back east take for granted.

My old roommate wanted me to come over to her place in an attempt to recreate one of our past successful Hallowe'ens but I figured, with all the effort I put in stringing up lights and whatnot, I didn't want to waste that work, or disappoint any potential ToTers at my place. I say potential because my house is at the top of a crazy steep hill and only insaneiacs would walk up it. Didn't occur to me they might drive up, so I didn't buy enough candy. By 'not enough' I mean, I had enough for the Toters but I don't have any left over for me. Sigh...

I actually had a few people drive up just to take pictures of my decorations. They'd seen the lights the last few weeks from down on the street and were curious how they looked up close.

I swear I see a ghostly face in the picture below.

Just kidding!! I did a shadowcast pumpkin. Carved three different patterns into it so I could turn it around and cast different images onto the wall.

Neighbors across the street, who I'd just met, brought their kid up, we drank some beers while their daughter watched videos which I was projecting onto the garage door. Only thing that marred that moment was someone across the canyon blasting music with a lot of %^#$! language. It's still going on in fact. Grrrrhh!

I was a bit disappointed in how this year's theme pumpkins came out. They actually turned out well but I was having trouble getting pictures because of the wind and rain. I did manage to get some between squalls though. In honor of the TV show I give you 'Headless'...

In front of the 'Big Face'...

Of course I had to try it! Even though it was raining, it's still dry enough here that I could have started one of our famous October fires.

My scare tactics worked pretty well. I wore a glow-in-the-dark skeleton shirt and skull mask with black pants. With the black light at the front door, all the ToTers could see while looking into the dark doorway was the skeleton walking towards them. A couple kids started crying and ran back to their parents. I call that a success.

Overall, a fun Halloween so far. Days of the Dead fall on Saturday and Sunday this year so I'm gonna head down to Old Town, maybe visit the Whaley House while I'm there. Finish up on Wednesday... Bonfire Night, with a fire in the back yard while projecting 'V for Vendetta' onto the side of the house.

Next year... Saturday Halloween! Think I'm gonna try growing pumpkins again. I saved the seeds from this year's pumpkins. As long as the drought doesn't get worse, I'll give it a shot. Way more satisfying slaughtering your own pumpkins than someone elses.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: 2014 Wrap Up

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:33 am

Thanks for your terrific recap and images! What a pleasure to view and read about!

Our Halloween was C O L D!!!!!! We had had 85 degrees on Monday, but then it rained on Thursday and got bitter. Temps in the low 40s last night, with wind chills waaaaay below that, because it was still blustery. It definitely affected our # of TOTers. Last year we had had 78 (a great number for this street), but this year we had fewer than 20. That's because most people were driving, not walking, to the destination street about a block and a half down and around the corner. My husband and I left our son in charge of the candy long enough to walk down and see the block party going on down there. It wasn't as big as most years, either.

We totally overbought on candy, so I'm going to have to freeze some of it. However, we still felt our Halloween was successful, if smaller than normal. We had added music this year, and one more yard display, and I costumed more effectively than normal (Day of the Dead, got some great looks from people down at the block party, because that motif is not common in this area). We had fun.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 10:46 am

Nevermore, the giant JOL face looks great !

We're still having rain. If it wasn't so cold I'd be outside dancing in it.

I captured the remnant of last nights sunset when I got home during a break in the storm.
Attachments
1031141806a_20141031191007278_20141101074504679.jpg
1031141806a_20141031191007278_20141101074504679.jpg (153.76 KiB) Viewed 12260 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

HalloweenDot
Site Admin

Post by HalloweenDot » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:01 am

Nice. Hard to believe that another Halloween has come and gone.
Halloween.com since 1994 - Chris

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:03 am

(Cue Linus' rant ) :)

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:18 am

This is my favorite day of the dead-ish song.

Some of you who are also as old as dirt may be familiar with Oingo Boingo, that other Danny Elfman gig.

Grrr, I can't get this stupid phone to paste so google 'dead man's party', but not the clip from that Rodney Dangerfield movie, the original motion stop version.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Sat Nov 01, 2014 11:35 am

NeverMore that looks great!!! Thanks for the picks and the recap on your Halloween night, it sounded wonderful.

We had 12 trick or treaters, I was sooo happy, we haven't had many in years.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Nov 01, 2014 12:14 pm

Halloween went way too fast this year. I think I actually did more before Halloween than during the actual holiday.
Still I had more visitors than I got last year, and I wish I'd bought more candy now. There's a little bit left over, but not a lot. Still got those oreos to eat though and some Halloween cookies I never got around to baking, or the cup cakes I never got around to making, or the pumpkins I never got around to carving...the pumpkins I might just leave them like they are through thanksgiving since they make a nice little decoration for both holidays. I want to try and save the seeds though, those white pumpkins are hard to find. I do have a package of seeds I never used either. I really want a garden next year and start with my gourd bird houses too.

I ended up being a "Grim Reaper" again this year, plus I had my were leopard costume due to the College's Trick or Treat and Costume contest thing.

I love your display Nevermore, really awesome stuff with the giant jack o' lantern face house. Definitely spooktacular for sure.

Very beautiful picture of the sunset Andy.

That's pretty awesome witchy! I didn't get 12 people come by but I did get more than last year. :3

Yeah it rained here too.

Next year me and the neighbors talked about having a bon fire and stuff for Halloween with a weenie roast. That would be fun, and some pumpkin carving and such. Since we don't get a lot of Trick or Treaters, maybe we could have a party instead. XD

Our display was rather...humble by comparison...

Here's the display at night...hey look a ghostly orb! lol No that was just one of the rain drops...yes I went out in the rain to take pictures...I'm nuttier than the peanut butter in my Reeses cups. lol still it made a cool effect on the picture itself.

Remember "frankie"? He cast quite a shadow on the scene didn't he?

Here's the crashed witch I made out of construction paper:

And you can't see it very well but I had that skeleton thing from the previous owner as well, with one of my old black cat plushies:

Here's the little spider "candy grams" I made for the neighbor kids:

Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:02 pm

HalloweenCom wrote:Nice. Hard to believe that another Halloween has come and gone.
Next year... Saturday. You better hurry up and get ready. Time's running out! I don't know if any of us have mentioned it, but thanks for hosting this forum. I've met some really cool people here. On the other hand I also met Witchy here, she... ribbit, ribbit, ribbit...

Andybev01 wrote:Grrr, I can't get this stupid phone to paste so google 'dead man's party', but not the clip from that Rodney Dangerfield movie, the original motion stop version.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iypUpv9xelg

Man! Need a highr rez version of that video. So cool!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:06 pm

MauEvig wrote:Here's the crashed witch I made out of construction paper:
I imagine that's what Witchy usually looks like on girl's night out. She... ribbit, ribbit, ribbit...

Dang it Witchy! Stop that! I'm getting warts.

Edit: Uh Mau? What's that orbish looking thing to the right on the porch. Doesn't look like part of your display. Rain on the lense?

MauEvig wrote:Image

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Nov 01, 2014 1:36 pm

Yeah it's rain. But I included this particular picture because I thought it looked cool and "ghostly" (Since it has the resemblance of a ghost orb). I wish it was a real ghost orb, but then again I would have been pretty freaked out if it was.

Glad you liked the crashed witch! But don't blame witchy for all the tricks, I consider myself her apprentice. :twisted: Mwahaha!

I too wish to raise a glass to Halloweencom for hosting this forum. I think it's an amazing forum and with some really cool people, with whom I can discuss Halloween stuff, discuss past Halloweens, share experiences and ideas. Thanks Halloweencom for bringing us haunters all here! Here's to another great year next year.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 5:51 pm

Well, it was a great night. We had the most Tot's of all time. We ran out of candy and had to borrow from the neighbors (again). I didn't make up the little candy bags this year; but we had a large cauldron completely filled. Way over 260, at least and I would guess closer to 300. Not kidding. We were hopping! Last Tot's was about 8:40pm

We also had some long lost friends stop by, so it was really nice. Drank an amazing amount of beer; and after the Tot's stopped, some of the neighbors came over and we drank more!! YAY...until this morning when I slept in and was late for work. .....oh well.

Love the recap, Nevermore! Nice pictures!

I hope everyone had a great, great holiday!!!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:12 pm

heres my display......

First, day shots

then night shots

and these were the sconces I made for the brick pillars.....

And a short video of the talking pumpkins
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WG6G55r ... e=youtu.be
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

johnsoneliza52
Haunt Master

Post by johnsoneliza52 » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:30 pm

Very cool!! Love it!!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Nov 01, 2014 6:46 pm

Dang Spooky, those pumpkins are awesome. Creative way to hide the projector. The graveyard looks excellent too. Bummer about the DVD not working. I actually have the Ghostly Apparitions videos ripped to my hard drive, if there would have been time I could have sent them to you and you could have connected your computer to the projector.