Halloween Books!

Talk about television shows, movies, music and more!
One Eye'd Jack

Halloween Books!

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Thu May 03, 2007 3:01 am

Here are a couple of books of which I'm about half way through.
The first, 'October Dreams', is a really neat collection of famous authors recollections of their own childhood Halloweens.
http://www.amazon.com/October-Dreams-Ce ... 44&sr=1-17

The second, 'Halloween: An American Holiday, an American History', pretty mush speack for itself and I'm so far, finding it really informative and thouroghly enjoyable!
http://www.amazon.com/Halloween-America ... 26&sr=1-28

I hope you like these and PLEASE share any books that you've found, yourselves!

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Fri May 04, 2007 11:18 pm

Sorry, I'm only a biggest fan of Fangoria magazine! And also, not really quite about Roe Morgue magazine which is based in Canada, but I do like that anyways...

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat May 05, 2007 2:11 am

I've seen Rue Morgue. It's not bad, but is there REEEALLY a "definitive" Halloween magazine?

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by geekmidwinter » Sat May 05, 2007 9:20 pm

Thanks so much for sharing, OEJ, I love to read, I started a thread last Halloween about books to read at Halloween. I will certainly be checking out those two you mentioned, and I'll let you know if I find anything else. Do you read horror novels? Or stick to nonfiction stuff? I'm reading the last book in Laurel K. Hamilton's Anita Blake, Vampire Hunter series. It's not really my usual style, but they're easy reads and I like the supernatural aspect of them. Someone on here last year recommended "I Am Legend" and "Hell House" by Richard Matheson and I enjoyed the heck out of them.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Sat May 05, 2007 11:10 pm

Good question! One Eye'd Jack requested for "Halloween" magazine, but I have no idea... Is there any halloween magazine? If so, please share your thoughts here! :evil:

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Tue May 08, 2007 1:57 am

geekmidwinter - Thanks for the suggestions. Boy, the last fiction horror story I read was in the mid 80's: Peter Straub's Ghost Story. Scared the <deleted> out of me. The movie is pretty good, but NOTHING compared to the book. I really enjoyed that. I should probably read more stuff like it.
I'm a sucker for a great ghost story.

the other night, I rented this cartoon version of Ray Bradbury's The Halloween tree and in all honesty it was REALLY good. I'd love to see a big "Harry Potter" like production of it. I think that will be the next book I read!!!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Tue May 22, 2007 2:33 am

No one had anything to say about 'The Halloween Tree'?

How about this one? I've been wanting it for awhile and it finally came it at the bookstore I ordered it from... VEEEEEEEERY cool!!!!

http://amazon.com/o/ASIN/382284585X/ref ... d_i=507846

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Tue May 22, 2007 10:12 am

Wow, that looks awesome! But it says there's only three left in stock, people better hurry! I'm sorry I didn't get to read/review the Halloween Tree, I love stuff like that, but I'm so backed up on books to read right now and life just gets in the way! Thanks for resurrecting it!
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Jun 11, 2007 10:22 am

This might be old news here, but there's a book called "How to Survive a Horror Movie" that is one of the funniest things I've ever read. Give it a look. :lol:

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Jun 16, 2007 9:26 pm

Dr Strange - I have heard of that book but never read it. I may need to give it a try.

By the way I am totally for a halloween magazine!!!
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sat Jul 07, 2007 4:39 am

My favorite Halloween books:

Histories:

1. The Pagan Mysteries of Halloween: Celebrating the Dark Half of the Year, Jean Markale. The author is a scholar of all things Celtic, and is familiar with the primary documents of their history. Thus, this history has the authority that so many other Halloween histories lack.

2. Halloween: From Pagan Ritual to Party Night, by Nicholas Rogers. Another scholar, and a scholarly press: Oxford University, no less. Particularly good on Halloween in America.

3. Death Makes a Holiday: A Cultural History of Halloween, by David J. Skal. Corrects a number of common misconceptions about Halloween; for instance, he notes that there is little primary documentation of costuming on Halloween before 1900, or that there was ever an association between carved lanterns and Halloween in Britain before the 20th century.

4. The Halloween Catalog Collection: 55 Catalogs From the Golden Age of Halloween, by Ben Truwe. Although the catalogs are fun to browse through, the gem is in the lengthy introduction: this little-known book contains THE best, most accurate, best documented history of trick or treating published anywhere. Another myth-buster.

Culture:

1. Halloween: Romantic Art and Customs of Yesteryear by Diane C. Arkins.

2. Halloween Merrymaking: An Illustrated Celebration Of Fun, Food, And Frolics From Halloweens Past, by Diane C. Arkins. Two charming, captivating looks at how the holiday was celebrated in the early 20th century. Full of Halloween postcards illustrating every aspect.

3. Dressed for Thrills: 100 Years of Halloween Costumes and Masquerade, by Phyllis Galembo.

4. Vintage Halloween Collectibles: Identification & Price Guide, by Mark B. Ledenbach. There are several guides to Halloween collectibles on the market, but this is the best.

Fiction:

1. A Halloween Reader: Poems, Stories, And Plays From Halloweens Past, by Lesley Pratt Bannatyne. This, that, and more, an anthology guaranteed to please the devoted Halloweener.

2. Something Wicked This Way Comes, by Ray Bradbury. A dark carnival comes to town one October, leaving two boys and one father to uncover its secrets. A classic.

3. Humbug Witch, by Lorna Balain. Little children will love this picture book.

4. Bart Simpson's Treehouse of Horror Spine-Tingling Spooktacular. Fun for older children.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jul 07, 2007 8:04 pm

Great Stuff, CAD!!! Thanks for the links!!!

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:07 am

I've owned the Halloween: American Tradition and Holiday book for years now and have always loved it. I asked a question about Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark in the Halloween General Board, those are great reads as well. Look for an anthology book by Alan Ryan called Halloween Horrors, a great spooky read, although it seems difficult to find in print.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:57 pm

Well, I finished re-reading Ray Bradbury's "The Halloween Tree" a few days ago and I wanted to take the time to recommend it again to anyone who hasn't read it yet. It's a great book that will get you in the Halloween spirit fast, it's also a fairly quick read so it won't take too much of your time.

uncletor
Halloween Master

Post by uncletor » Thu Oct 04, 2007 3:20 am

Richard Matheson strikes again...
NOW YOU SEE IT...
A magician is telling the story....he is confined to his wheelchair and totally paralyzed..can't even TALK...his son and daughter in law forget he's even THERE..(how is he writing this??? You'll SEE....)
In short order, the guy figures out..(a) his son is insane (b) so is his wife (c) they are both trying to kill one another and he is helpless to stop or do anything about it...
I got this for my daughter when she was growing up and it became one of her faves...might have to buy it again for her birthday...Nov. 03..
Future events such as these will effect you in the future