MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Conversation Hearts

Post by MauEvig » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:54 am

You know when I saw in another thread that mentioned conversation hearts, they seem to be a big part of Valentine's day, even if they're not the most ideal or tasty. I think the fun there was reading what the little hearts would say and making fun of them.
I actually used to like eating them, and talking about it makes me want to get a box, because after all like most holidays that like to gear up early, Valentine's is no exception. Someone brought up that they tasted like Nekko wafers. For some reason, I didn't like Nekko wafers, but then I found out that I think Nekko does actually make some of these. But I could be wrong.
Anyway, I noticed some changes in the dialog over the years in these candies. When I was a kid back in the 90's, I don't remember the conversation hearts saying things like TXT ME or EMAIL ME or some weird stuff like that. Usually it was BE MINE, HUG ME and other lovey-dovey things like that.
So for me they're more than just candy to eat at Valentine's day, they're part of what makes it fun. I have a feeling they adopt more modern day speech as things go on. I don't know when Conversation hearts started to become a thing, but I imagine if they were around in the 60's for example, they might have had different sayings on them than even in the 90's. Or they could have changed because of the advent of texting and the internet. The internet itself has influenced how people interact socially, and the dating scene is no exception either.
Last year a lady at work gave us each a little plastic container full of them. I actually think they were pretty good. I guess for me it's no different than having the little shaped marshmellows or cereal pieces in cereal, or shaped noodles in Spaghettios or Mac n Cheese. It's just all in good fun. (And I even have the How to Train your Dragon Mac n Cheese. It's good! lol)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Conversation Hearts

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:03 am

I fond a site that discusses the history of the conversation hearts, Mau, Try this one:

http://www.bakingbites.com/2013/01/a-hi ... on-hearts/

It says the Necco company started making those hearts in the 1860s! So yes, I'd say they definitely have changed with the times!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Conversation Hearts

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jan 18, 2015 9:05 am

Well, that link didn't work. Let me try again:

http://www.bakingbites.com/2013/01/a-hi ... on-hearts/