Searching for a 4 year school to Transfer...

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Searching for a 4 year school to Transfer...

Post by MauEvig » Mon Nov 23, 2015 11:40 am

So the search for a 4 year school continues.
I'm unsure about ODU...and Mary Baldwin is going to be way too pricey at $30,000 for tuition.
Liberty University looked promising but doesn't offer what I'm looking for.
I don't know what I am going to do...

Here's the requirements I am looking for:

SACSCOCS Accreditation a must!

A Major that will prepare me to teach Middle School Level English and Literature and Science

I do not want to teach kids younger than 6th Grade.

Must must must must MUST be affordable...Grants have to cover it. I am not taking out any more student loans if I don't have to.

They have to transfer in my credits at my current Community College at Dabney.

Any thoughts or advice? Thanks I appreciate it. My future is at stake and I am not sure where to turn to or where to go.
Most of the schools I look at only seem to offer Early Elementary Education or Special Education online.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Searching for a 4 year school to Transfer...

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:08 pm

Mau, have you spoken with people in admission and financial aid at any of these places? I think you need to speak with people whose job it is to make college affordable. I know Mary Baldwin will equip people to teach in middle and high school, because that's where my husband got his certification. When I taught there, lots of women returned to school on Pell grants

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Nov 23, 2015 2:37 pm

Well the only person I've really spoke to is the recruiter lady that goes to the Dabney campus. I looked at the stuff online and saw the pricing...and I was thinking...YIKES!

I guess that I'll have to call about that.

I'm just concerned because I don't get very much in grants for Dabney. I do get enough to cover the tuition, but I was a little shy in being able to afford all my books this semester. Plus tuition rates have gone up.

I'm also concerned about whether they will offer the classes online. Driving to Staunton once in a while might be alright...but not something I'd want to do every day.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Nov 24, 2015 7:33 am

When I was at Mary Baldwin, they had a very active "Adult Degree Program." I used to teach in it. It was up to the professor's discretion, but they did offer quite a number of classes to accommodate people with "grown-up" work schedules. Some people even conducted these classes by mail in those days. I have to believe they are doing plenty on line. You would need to talk with the person who is overseeing the ADP program right now.

You might need to be full-time to qualify for much aid, but very few people are paying those full price tags. You shouldn't let them scare you off. Talk to folks and see what's do-able. At the very least, you won't be any worse off than you are right now, and you might be very pleasantly surprised.

Are you required to report your boyfriend's income as part of yours? J/s, the more need you can demonstrate, the more likely you are to get aid.