Cemeteries

Discussion of general Halloween topics
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Cemeteries

Post by jadewik » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:10 am

I know I've seen a couple other posts by my fellow Halloween enthusiasts about cemeteries, but I'm curious to know who actually goes out of their way to see older cemeteries.

Despite not being around here much, I've taken to what I call "adventuring". That's what I call questing for interesting stories to blog about. Alas, I don't have time to write about the stories (yet), but I have oodles of research about all sorts of strange and macabre topics. So, because I have a few moments tonight... here are some cemeteries I've recently visited that have some rather amusing stories associated with them!

Feel free to share your own Cemetery stories too! =D

I was shocked to hear the younger generation was remiss in their knowledge about the Gunfight at the OK corral. So if you're unfamiliar with the legend of Wyatt Earp and Doc Holliday (or if you have never watched the movie Tombstone), these photos won't mean much to you at all. But, apparently, the Earps had another less-famous brother who is kinda sidled over in the annals of history. That brother's name is Warren Baxter Earp. Unlike his more famous brothers, this Earp was known for shooting his mouth off and in an attempt to be as brash as older brother Wyatt, Morgan brought a knife to a gun fight and ended up dying as a result. Warren is the only Earp to be buried in Arizona-- though he was not the only one to die in Arizona. He is buried in the Old Willcox Cemetery in Willcox, Arizona. (Which I added to google maps, so you can find it easier....) The cemetery, below, has truly been taken over by the desert! (Though, it was mowed prior to a more recent trip I took...)

... and I have this crazy story about some spooky old lady camping out in her van in front of the cemetery... @_@...

Old Willcox Cemetery Gate

Old Willcox Cemetery

Morgan Earp's Grave

More to follow, I hope....

jadewik
Halloween Master

Re: Cemeteries

Post by jadewik » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:27 am

EDIT: TOTALLY forgot I'd already posted about this location here. Ah, well! *Shrug*

Our next cemetery consists of a single grave... this one I did write about in the paranormal blog I contribute to... though I apparently never posted it... Meh. I wrote it in Sept around the anniversary of the death of this famous gunslinger.... will have to see to that sometime. Anyway...

If you're familiar with Tombstone, Arizona-- you know it's rife with stories of how wild the west really was. While this story originates in Tombstone, it certainly didn't end there. It's about a 40 minute drive to the southeast from Tombstone off Turkey Creek in the Chirichaua Mountains. The gunslinger? John Ringo. Again, if you're not familiar with Tombstone that name will mean nothing to you. Ringo was one of the famed cowboys-- a group of cattle rustlers who would basically steal cattle from one area, sell them in another, steal from that new location, sell in another, etc... He did get caught, and as part of my research for my blog article, I was able to find some court records for John Ringo from the Tombstone courthouse. But, anyway... there's a lot of mystery and stories surrounding his death-- I'll leave that for my eventual blog post (when I get around to polishing it up and posting it...)

But here are a few photos I took on a visit out that-a-way.

The Rules-- The grave is on private property, so we're lucky the owner allows visits:

Historical Spiel

Gravesite-- Note: The tree where the body was discovered is actually the one in the photo far left

Another angle of the grave

... I hope to head out to Fairbank, AZ soon... tried to hike to that cemetery during monsoon season and it was just too sweltering hot! GAH! Also, want to get to Fort Bowie soon... the son of Geronimo, the Apache Chief, is supposed to be buried there!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Tue Mar 22, 2016 11:35 am

I love exploring cemeteries! Those are some interesting pictures Jadewik and I like reading the history behind them too.
There are a few lost and abandoned ones in NYS that I know of. There's also this old stone cross that marks where an old settlement used to be in that area that was long abandoned and taken over by the woods. I remember walking up there as a teenager. Maybe if I get time when I visit up there this summer (if it's still there!) I can get a picture of it.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Mar 30, 2016 7:02 pm

Interesting topic! I don't seek cemeteries out, but I go to an old cemetery in Arkansas periodically where several generations of my mother's family are buried. I've been to lots of funerals there, most recently in 2007, but it is a pretty old one. The oldest graves are probably mid-19 th century.

The oldest cemetery here in Murfreesboro is right downtown and probably dates back to the first decade of the 19th century, when the town was founded. There are some spooky stories about it. Unfortunately, that cemetery is kept locked, I suppose to prevent vandalism. I have seen it only through an iron fence.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Apr 12, 2016 1:22 am

Too late tonight, but eventually... I hope to remember to upload photos of the following cemeteries:
Fry Pioneer Cemetery, Sierra Vista, AZ
Fort Bowie Cemetery-- Geronimo's son is interred here.
Williams Cemetery, Williams, AZ