Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix

Discussion of general Halloween topics
midnight kitty
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by midnight kitty » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:48 pm

WOOHOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
awesome movie. a lot of smaller plots were cut out and changed round, but it's ok. w/ a 900 page book being compressed into a 2 hr movie, some things needed to be comprimised (sp?). only 2 parts were disappointing to me. i won't say which ones yet coz i don't wanna give anything away to whoever hasn't seen it
trick or treat

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Wed Jul 11, 2007 9:57 pm

Hey rosie, glad you liked the movie, I can't wait to go see it. I'm waiting till its not as busy there, or as hot out.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Wed Jul 11, 2007 10:59 pm

FYI: I just opened the newspaper and spotted that this HP film is currently opening to all theaters today!!

And also, I noticed it has included the film website http://www.harrypotter.com

So, does anyone here go to see this film this weekend or what? Well, for me, I don't think so... BUT my cousin will go see it this Sat! 8)

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Thu Jul 12, 2007 10:05 am

SOOOO Hooch??? Thoughts?
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:31 am

Well, we had a great experience at the midnight first showing. All the Potter fans were out in full force. I thought that the movie was great, I loved both the new characters, Luna Lovegood and Delores Umbridge. It is always just so amazing to me to see these charcters and situations literally "brought to life". There are so many things in an 800 page book, that something invariably gets left out, but it must. I thought they did a great job with the major story lines, and the battle at the ministry was very good, I thought. What I really enjoyed was how alienated Harry felt at the beginning and how through the movie he came to realize how much he and his friends needed and depended on one another, and that it was their love for one another that was going to help them defeat Voldemort in the end.
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Fri Jul 13, 2007 12:48 am

Hey Hooch, Glad to hear you had a good time. I haven't been able to go see it yet, but I'm really looking forward to it :D So did you manage to get any pictures of yourself & your friends in costume?

EvilMel
Haunt Master

Post by EvilMel » Fri Jul 13, 2007 8:53 am

Sounds awesome Patti.
Halloweiner Extraordinaire.

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Jul 14, 2007 12:44 am

Look at the post "Order of the Phoenix Pics". We had a FABULOUS night!

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Sat Jul 14, 2007 8:17 am

hey hooch,

http://boards.msn.com/Moviesboards/boar ... ardID=1080
a bunch of people here are ripping into the movie saying how disappointed the were wah wah wah. freakin crybabies. i said a couple of things in the movie's defence coz that's just me and a loved the movie.
anyone wanna go to this boad and guess which 1 i am (i have a different name there)
trick or treat

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Jul 14, 2007 1:59 pm

Yay I went to see it last night and i thought it was pretty good. Although I havent seen the other movies in forever so I kept forgetting who people were. I need to read the books, that is where I have gone wrong.

Do you think it would be ok if i started by reading the 4th book or so? Or do I need to start from the beginning?
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sun Jul 15, 2007 1:59 am

Absolutely start from the beginning. There are so many details that are important to know as the story unfolds. The character development is important, too, I think, to know where these people have been and how their attitudes and feelings have changed over the course of the story. The first two books are really fast reads, they fly by. I've read all of them 4 times, and I seriously find something each time I read them that is an "aha!" moment. I really think you'll enjoy them.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Thu Jul 19, 2007 3:59 am

Well, just got home from seeing Harry Potter. I liked it, it was good but I felt it was much different then the others, and I hate to admit it :oops: but I liked all the others much much more then this one I think, for many reasons, too many to get into here. But none the less, this one still had its brownie points too. Well worth going to see :D :wink:

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:17 am

I saw it tonight. My son has read all the books, and we have seen all the other movies. I can not follow the story line at all. I think that there are too many characters in these movies, and you don't get to know each one enough to really know wether you even like them or not...they all get very little screen time. The flow in this one was very chopped up...they cut the scene and then go to another completely different scene, that has nothing to do with where they had just been, and your sitting there wondering how they got there. I have so many questions about that movie, but by the end of it...you forget it...there was a girl at the beginning of this one that had red hair that changed colors...and I thought...she might be a cool new character...then she's gone and you don't see her until the very end again for about 2 seconds. They had Harry kissing that girl he liked, but it was totally out of the blue, and then nothing ever happened with that. There's too many things going on with each person that you don't know what it all means, like the new blonde girl that was in her barefeet-she might have been cool-but you barely see her. I liked Maggie Smith-and you barely see her in this one too. I actually thought this movie was very boring. The scene with Emma Thompson makes no sense either-she barely got in the movie too. And Snape is barely in any scenes. The previews made it look really creepy and full of action...but it drug on and on in the middle, and I thought what is the point of any of it. I don't understand how Sirius Black was killed, if he's a wizard...how do you kill a wizard who can take forms of other things, and do all that they do? It seems like they are immortal, so I never get that part either. Poor Haggrid was barely in this one either, he doesn't show up until way in to the movie, and then when you do see him ...you can't figure out what it is even about.
There was nothing I liked about it...except the scenes where they are eating...I love looking at all the food. They didn't have any cool little novelty things like the beans that have the gross taste to them, and there wasn't even a Halloween scene. Boo Hoo. I actually thought it stunk. Sorry.

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Fri Jul 20, 2007 12:31 am

Guess what??? I heard from t.v. news that Harry Potter books are going to be out there on this weekend Sat, 21at of July! They sell 2.3 million copies of HP books! Can you imagine that??? Holy S**T!

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Jul 21, 2007 11:14 pm

I saw it! I saw it!!! The Mrs. and I finally got a chance to check it out and I have to say, I liked it A LOT better, as a movie, than I did, 'Goblet', at first. I had no trouble following it. I thought for the most part, it was very good. My only real complaints were that it could have been longer (does anyone know just how long Phoenix is?) and I have to agree with Spooky that there were characters that you simply wanted to see developed more! We totally fell in love with Luna Lovegood; WHAT a little sweetheart!!!!!!! And we both expected to see Nymphadora A LOT more than we did!

There was simply a lot going on and it should have been longer, but I DID like it more than 'Goblet'.

Oh, yeah, I guess I DO have one more complaint... Ron! What purpose does he REALLY serve....... comic relief?????? He's still just this little pouty faced, do-nothing, balance to Harry and Hermoine. I say: Ron... baaaaaaaaaaaah!!!!

OH YEAH! And I REALLY would have liked to see Umbridge get 'Drawn-and-quartered' by the Centaurs. You know, in the good old fashion way. RIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIPPPPPPPP. Blood, screaming, tearing flesh, the works...... but, alas, it is after all a "family" movie. hmph! :roll: