Haunted Houses

Discuss/post ghost stories etc!
screamjea
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

Haunted Houses

Post by screamjea » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:05 am

I have had a paranormal encounter, and untill that day I've always doubted that the expired had any contact with this world. Since that evening my beliefs had changed. I will never forget it, it started when I was putting away some clothes in the guest room me and my husband was staying in while we were visiting his dad and stepmom. I was finishing up when I rose to leave the room. I turned my back to flip off the light and I got this chill and I got scared. I felt I was being watched and I looked back at the bed. I heard a whispered "hello". I felt as if my hair stood on end and I left as quickly as I could and immediatly entered the dining room. There were a few of the family members playing a game of cards. I said nothin and tried to act as normal as I could considering what I had just experienced. I wanted so badly to share with everybody. but I was afraid of what they would have said, or more importantly, but they would think of me. So I sat and talked briefly with them then I got up and walked towards the den. I passed my stepmom and as I did she heard someone say her name. She asked "who said my name I heard someone say her name." Well, I was really scared then, and my eyes where watering pretty bad. I had then determined whatever that was that said hi to me followed me and then whispered into the lady of the houses' ear. I then shared my story with her and was thankful I had proof that I heard what I heard! Thank you for giving me a chance to share my story.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Tue Jul 10, 2007 12:12 am

Hmmm.......

OK... that's a good story.
You can come in!

Hehe..... Welcome screamjea! Hope you have lots of fun here. You'll find we're ALL just a little creepy, here! :)

screamjea
Ghost

Post by screamjea » Sun Jul 29, 2007 5:19 pm

Thanks its a pleasure being here!
I love Hallow's Eve

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:38 pm

I clean an old, two-story farmhouse built in 1878--high ceilings, lots of bulky, mahogany furniture everywhere, and the man of the house is an avid hunter who has many of his trophies hanging on the wall. Anyway, this place is very secluded, sits on a lot of land, and CAN be quite eerie at times, especially when storms are rolling in...

I go through bouts of feeling very normal in the house to those times when I'm convinced I'm not alone--I mean, old houses like that always have a lot of history left behind, don't you think? Well last week's visit COMPLETELY freaked me out enough to where I'm very much dreading going back there this week...

It began as I was cleaning a den downstairs and heard a loud THUD on the floor of the guest room above, like a heavy object falling off a shelf or something, only I'm aware that the guest room doors ALWAYS stay closed as the owner's don't like the cat in there..couldn't have been her. I turned off my music at that point but did NOT go up there, just remained instensely alert and went about my business.

Next event was a few minutes later, as I was vaccuuming a walkway through a utility area, when I caught a glimpse of my own shadow along some cabinets ALONG WITH SOMEONE ELSE'S RIGHT BEHIND ME!! I was freaked out at this point. I went and got the groundskeeper who came in and checked the whole house, including the attic, didn't see anyone or anything anywhere...not even in the guest room where I'd heard something fall.

So I was rushing to get done with this job by then, I just wanted to go back home...well, at the end, when I'd already swept and mopped everywhere, and was packing up my things in the front hallway, I said out loud, 'whew, I'm almost done, time to get out of here!!' At that instant, both the front AND back doors (heavy doors) in the hallway began shaking in their frames hard enough to make paint chips fall off on the floor!!! I kid y'all not!! I shoved all my sh*t right out that door and bolted with it to the car...

I can't explain this. I hope y'all don't think I'm crazy! I've been kind of skeptical on paranormal experiences, not ever personally having any ('I'll believe it when I see it' type thing). Well, all I know is I don't want to go back tomorrow, but it's good money and I have to. I mean, what would I say to my boss anyway?? 'Oh hey, boss, I gotta quit this job, I think your house may be haunted???' Yeah, RIGHT! It might be all in my imagination anyways, but it DAMN SURE DIDN'T SEEM LIKE IT.

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Thu Sep 06, 2007 2:46 pm

2 good stories in one thread. Alright!

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 4:38 pm

I'll echo those words. Very chilling stories. I like it.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Thu Sep 06, 2007 5:07 pm

Well you guys, I'm kinda embarrassed to say now that I actually started crying while recounting the event to my husband last week, but that was just frightening!! He believes me, but thinks there's gotta be some logical explanation for it, like farm equipment or an earthquake, he said. But there's no equipment that big around there, and we don't have earthquakes in GA..even if it WAS a quake, why weren't the windows, and chandeliers, and the floor or pictures also shaking??

I don't know, it was just some weird stuff.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:43 pm

This might sound strange... but have you tried talking to your ghostie? The Ghosts of Gettysburg tour guide, when I went in 1999, said that she had a ghost in her house and she said he could stay there, but she didn't want to see him. One day, she says she was driving up to the house and she saw a man sitting on her porch. When she rounded the corner, he was gone. The tour guide suspects that he vanished to keep his bargain.

The fact that you have a ghost following you around indicates that (s)he's interested in what you're doing. Think about it-- they're dead and can't really interact with things in the realm of the living like they used to. Can you imagine living IN this world, but not being able to interact with it?

Talk to the ghost and see if anything improves. Try not to let it know you're scared. Just say it startled you last time, but you'd like to give it another shot.

Things I'd talk about to a ghost in a house like that are:
* How wonderful the house is and how you're glad to have the chance to keep it clean.
* Compliment it on it's longevity
* Talk about what you're there for and why
* Talk about your family

You might feel like you're talking to yourself, but it might actually help.

... I honestly think that most disturbing activities happen when we don't acknowledge the ghosts. They want your attention... just think of how peeved you'd be if you felt ignored. I'd slam a few doors m'self.

Just remember, this is our world. You can ask them to be respectful and not slam doors or agree that (s)he can hang around you so long as you don't see them, which could startle you. I think if you ask nicely enough, you may be pleased with the results... just remember, ghosts are like people-- some are crotchety old men who want to be left alone and others are as friendly as your fellow forum friends. =)

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Thu Sep 06, 2007 7:53 pm

Interesting, Jadewik the "ghost whisperer". :D Who would have thought?

But seriously, I think it's a good idea. Laurie, why not give it try? Just make sure no living beings are watching. :D

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Thu Sep 06, 2007 8:38 pm

Jadewik, I really appreciate this, you've offered some great advice here. I guess I was just easily panicked, not having any experience in this area...but what you're saying makes total sense! I have thought before, when I've felt weird in the house, that perhaps 'whoever else' lives there hopefully doesn't mind me, since I am trying to help maintain the property....certainly I will try some of your tips tomorrow. Anything to help us 'all' feel more at ease would be great!!

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Fri Sep 07, 2007 1:13 am

Haunted Horseman wrote:Interesting, Jadewik the "ghost whisperer". :D Who would have thought?
Ghost Whisperer? That's silly. I just have theories on the hereafter... If I get 'round to it, I might post some of my theories at some point... I just don't have the time this weekend.

I want to read what happens next! I feel like I'm stuck between chapters in a book. Laurie-- you'll post about it and let me know what happens, won't ya? =)

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Fri Sep 07, 2007 7:10 am

Yes, J, I'll definitely let you know what happens there today! Although honestly I hope it won't be anything too drastic. :) If so, I'll be charging out for the groundskeeper again and he'll be like, ' :roll: , uh, what now??'

Hey, speaking of, where WAS he last Friday when those doors were freaking out?? Hmmmm... :? Wish he could've been a witness too!

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Sep 10, 2007 8:06 am

Whew, busy weekend! No chance to post....

So, I did go to work back at the house last Friday, but I totally copped out and took my cousin with me (she's 27). I don't think she realized the extent of the 4 hour cleaning job she was getting herself into with me :) , but she loves the paranormal and wanted to see this place for herself.

When we got there, I just said aloud in the foyer, 'I'm back to clean today...and I just want to say to anyone else who might be here that I mean you no harm, I'm just doing my job to maintain the house. I think we can all co-exist peacefully....just please don't scare me anymore.' Nothing happened then. But a few things eventually did.

My cousin and I were dusting the billiard room when she got out her brand-new MP3 player for some tunes. She has 120 songs, set to play alphabetically on there...anyway, upon firing it up, the player began with 2 verses from a Nirvana song called, 'Lake of Fire.' VERY interesting lyrics to this one:

Where do bad folks go when they die?
They don't go to heaven where the angels fly,
They go down to the lake of fire and fry,
Won't see them again until the fourth of July.

Now the people cry and the people moan,
And they look for a dry place to call their home
And try to find some place to rest their bones
While the angels and the devils try to make them their own.

We could NOT get her player to stop playing this song no matter what we did!! Every time we tried to get another song, only this one would come on. Finally, we got a Nine Inch Nails tune to come up, but half way through it, it skipped back to this Nirvana song!!! MP3 players don't skip!!! She turned it off!

After that, I was vacuuming the kitchen rugs when I looked up to see her in the doorway. It frightened me so I fell back against some big copper ladels hanging from a fireplace in there..when I did that, out popped this old, very crusty, honest to God skeleton key that was hidden (I guess up inside the front of the fireplace). Don't have a clue what that key unlocks, and I don't know that I want to.

Before we completed the job, I don't know HOW she convinced me to go peek in the attic (which I've never done), but we did, and I found a picture of the house long ago with 2 girls and 2 guys sitting on the front porch steps...looked to be around the late 20's, maybe 1930's...

Well my cousin's never going back with me, she said. :( So I don't know what poor sap I'll recruit to go next week..however, at this point I'm thinking seriously about taking on some folks from my waiting list and dropping this house. I really like the people I work for, but I don't know if I can handle it if stuff like this starts happening all the time.

Incidentally, my cousin's player did perfectly on the way home in the car and continued flawlessly at my house.

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:13 am

Laurie, that is really freaky! I don't think I'd go back there. Looks like a perfect site of Ghost Hunters' episode. Can I ask, what about the people who live in the house. Do you know if they ever experience anything?
Because once you cross that bridge, my friend, the ghost is through, his power ends.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Sep 10, 2007 10:47 am

Yeah it does HH, from what I've read about the show on the Ghost Hunters' thread...I wish we got that channel!! We only have basic cable. :(

The people that own the house are very, very level-headed, hardworking folks, both the Mr. and Mrs. each own their own businesses here in town. They also travel for meetings and pleasure trips a LOT, so I really don't know how much time they spend in their own house, except for coming home to sleep at night and having guests occasionally on the weekends.....I've only spoken with them on a handful of occasions, and neither have mentioned experiencing anything. Of course I haven't wanted to bring it up myself because I don't want them thinking I'm a loon, but my husband said even if they have, they might not want to say anything to me that would scare me off- I mean, they know I'm there by myself cleaning the place. If I quit, I don't know what I'll give them for my reasons, you know? It sure would be beneficial to stay in their good graces, as having them for personal references on my resume when I go back to work would look really good for me...I don't know what to do, HH!!