Halloween Party as a Kid

Are you having a Halloween Party? Discuss ideas here!
mandy0221
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Halloween Party as a Kid

Post by mandy0221 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 10:40 am

So when I was a kid no one ever had Halloween parties. The only part I went to was one with the family and then when I was a lot uounger like 1st - 4th grade our school had a halloween party.

Kids would have SOOOO much fun at Halloween parties. I wish I had a kid, because I would totally be having a halloween party for them

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Sun Feb 25, 2007 7:49 pm

Yeah well when I was young my birthday being on the 30th I always had a Halloween birthday themed party... I loved it. Now i have two children myself 11 years old and almost 5 year old and I have a childrens Halloween party every year! IT is so much fun just to host a party because like you mentioned not a lot of people have just regular Halloween parties! Good times.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Tue Apr 03, 2007 7:25 pm

Yes, it was later when I got older that I actually went to Halloween "parties," like real ones where you actually go somewhere specifically for the party. Before that I did Halloween in the domestic way at home (carving pumpkins and receiving the trick-or-treaters), and then there were the pseudo-parties at school. These would be punch and cookies affairs, for the most part, and limited to half an hour or so. And then there was the parade of the costumed schoolkids around the neighborhood, which you could describe as party-like.

What I remember most clearly about Halloween when I was a kid: I couldn't get enough of it! It was so much fun that I came up with ways to enjoy Halloween year round. And, of course, here we all are on this message board.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Sun Aug 05, 2007 6:05 pm

I remember the Halloween school parades! They were so much fun! And the parties were too! Now most schools, in my area, at least, do not have "Halloween" parties-they are called "Fall festivals" or "Harvest" parites to not offend anyone!! I miss the good 'ol days...

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Aug 06, 2007 9:17 pm

Me, too, MichaelMyers.... :cry:
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Tue Aug 07, 2007 10:12 am

I have to say I have never had the experience of seeing or taking part in a Halloween parade!!! Boo Hoo!!! :(
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Tue Aug 07, 2007 6:26 pm

I've never had the pleasure of going to a Halloween parade but I did start going to Halloween parties when I was about 13. I used to collaborate with my best friend who had more open-minded and party-friendly parents to host a Halloween party/sleepover. :D

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Thu Aug 16, 2007 10:42 pm

I had a realization of sorts...well, maybe this was much truer back in the day. But Halloween is really a day--rather like Christmas, in this respect--when the party goes along with you. Or the party is wherever you go. I remember having parties at school and so on, and the parades...but it never seemed to be enough, and I would draw pictures of monsters and tape them up on the walls, check to see what monster movies were playing...it was sort of an anything goes day.

I remember elementary school Halloweens (we had that song "Hallowe'en" which we sang in music class..."Tonight is the night when dead leaves fly, like witches on switches across the sky..."). I remember that the educational part of the school day was pretty much useless on Halloween...everyone was dressed up as something, and as soon as we got to school it was time to coordinate to get ready for the parade, and then after the parade there was usually a little party of some sort. After that was all wrapped up, the kids opened the books for a while a "sort of" studied but it was kind of a joke. Everyone wanted to run home and get ready for, you know, nightfall. Talk about your happy day.

In retrospect I think the teachers thought of it as a "blowing off steam day" that allowed the students to have fun and relax a little.

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Fri Aug 17, 2007 12:07 pm

I don't quite know what to say, we always had Halloween parties at home & at school. Needless to say my kids have never not gone to a Halloween party I think we would die if we did not go, or have a Halloween party. Me & my best friend (since I was 10) always had a party or went to one & I've known her for 34 years, she lives in another state now & we still go to each others parties, this year is my turn & I can't wait!!!! Witchy

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Sat Aug 18, 2007 9:31 am

I have never been to a Halloween parade but this year will be my first! Disney world does a halloween parade so that will be fun.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

midnight kitty
Haunt Master

Post by midnight kitty » Tue Aug 21, 2007 10:05 am

we did the halloween party/parade in school when i was little
but once i moved to pa in the 4th grade, the parties stopped. don't know if it was coincidence or not.
after that i only remember going to a couple of parties until recent yrs

i now throw a party every yr for my daughter, then we'll either have an adult party later that night or we'll go out
trick or treat

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Wed Aug 22, 2007 8:06 pm

I think it is great that you throw a party for your daughter each year. I never had halloween parties as a kid and neither did any of my friends. We of course had the ones at school and we did a family party - but being able to celebrate halloween with friends would have been a blast.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:44 pm

Wow, we had a Halloween party every year when I was a kid. I remember - costume contest, pin the nose on the Jack O'Lantern, cupcake decorating activities.

Now I'm 37 & my sis is 30, and we throw a joint adult Halloween party every year - I take down all my regular stuff, and up goes Halloween, inside & out. We make a joint guest list, still have a costume contest (winner gets a DVD of an old cheesy horror movie), music, and tons of food. Two years I had a tarot reader here too.
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:23 pm

Hi Larissa, good to hear from a fell Garden State resident. Where abouts are you from? Just curious because I'm 38 and I don't remember attending any Halloween parties as a child outside of school or the public Library. It was all about Trick Or Treating. Wondering if it was a trend in a certain part of the state. I grew up in Essex County.

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:45 pm

At the time, I was in Passaic County - we lived in Clifton 'til I was almost 9 & then moved to Bergen County. I think it might've just been my mom; I don't remember anyone else doing it. I grew up with a mom who loved to throw parties for us & make our costumes & such - she was all about fun when we were kids. You still in Essex?
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous