Different World

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Different World

Post by Spooky » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:19 pm

I just got home from vacation, I was in Cape Cod for a week, it was awesome...I got to go on a whale watch and saw Humpback whales.

Yesterday I was at Joann Fabrics, and I found some cool Halloween Fabric on Clearance for $2.00 a yard...so I bought it all....and I was talking to the woman who worked there...because she was saying she never really liked Halloween....because kids are always getting in to trouble...and I said ..well, now kids can't even go trick or treating by themselves....and when I was a kid...we never did anything destructive- we threw corn at people's houses, but that was fun, and didn't damage anything....now-if a kid did that...they could get shot....so I was talking to some people that are staying here now at my B & B, and they said in big cities....kids are in gangs...and are setting houses on fire on Halloween, and it is a huge problem...I never heard of that...and it just makes me sad that this is the world we live in...

So, this morning I had the music channel on and this song I never heard of before came on, and I haven't heard a good song in forever...that had good lyrics to it....let alone had lyrics like this one that I can relate to, because I think about it every day.

I thought I'd share it with everyone:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AKe8kOueDw

I hope you all like it.

I think of this kind of stuff so much around Halloween, because we were out by ourselves at night...as little kids, and that is impossible to let happen now...it is so sad.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Aug 23, 2007 2:39 pm

Things are always more amplified near congested cities. If there is mischief in small towns then there will be felonies in a city, that's why we've never lived too close to them. I have also never heard of all these muggings, and arsons, and whatnot; it just doesn't happen where we live.

There are, and have always been, those who oppose Halloween for one reason or another. And they all seem to have this first hand experience with kids/gangs causing mayhem. Just be glad to know that there are many places still in this country where Halloween is a safe, happy experience.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Thu Aug 23, 2007 3:48 pm

Ah, and to a certain extent, the world is what we make it. Want a good Halloween as you see it? Go out and make a good Halloween as you see it.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Fri Aug 24, 2007 1:45 am

Hey Spooky, That Song is very true, it actually brought tears to my eyes. You see the city I live in, not to many years ago wasn't even a city, we were a small town, and for down here in The Fraser Valley, we are actually still considered to be out in the sticks compared to The Whole Greater Vancouver Area. But our world out here in Chilliwack has changed. It's become a very different world, we've sadly grown into a city, with big city problems-but the long time folks here try so hard to retain what we were known for and that is warm friendly people with huge generous hearts. So even though we are now a city with some very large ugly problems, theres still old time hearts and traditions here, which we hold onto dearly. I can however really relate to that song and the Lyrics are right on the Mark, but I think he spoke of how the overall world is changing into the ways he mentions, it is really sad.
But I really agree, and my heart follows the Path that tomanderson speaks of when he said " The world is what we make of it, and if we want a good world and a good halloween we have to go out and make it" WHat he said is what I believe and follow in my own path. And if we want go children and Youth, we have to create them, we have to nurture them and show them how to live, not let them grow up wild. I Really beleive that even the most hardend child or teen has potential, we just have to help them to locate it within thelselves and help them to cultivate it.
Thanks for sharing that video though, it did really speak volumes didn't it

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Fri Aug 24, 2007 3:34 am

Spooky - Doggonit!!!!!! it's done it to me again! I have to say that is a REALLY great song!
With that, i HAVE to explain my dichotomy of tastes, here... with all my heart and soul, do I love country 'LYRICS'!!!! But, Lord forgive me, I absolutely LOATHE country MUUUUUUUSIC. The whinning of sitars and the consumate wauh wauh wauh.
Here's the rub.... I LOVE realy rich, thick and intricate METAL music but, I HATE the lyrics!

I think your boy, here, should get together with MuDvAyNe.... THEN I'd be happy!

Just sayin :D

Anyway, Thanks for sharing that. It's as true as true is.

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:10 pm

I am glad you guys liked it.

I talk about this stuff every day...because my son is 14, and all I see are video games with kids and if you tell them to go play outside...they are clueless as to what that means...and you can't trust that they are safe out there anyway.

I walked to and from school...every day, and that wasn't that long ago. We played outside, rode our bikes everywhere-I had a paper route, we built forts and tree cabins...my son has never climbed a tree....

The part that gets me in this song is where he says..."not everyone made the team when they tried, we got disappointed, but that was all right"

That's a big thing....today kids go insane if they don't get what they want...

I look at kids I know...girls seem to be worse than boys are...they fight with each other...there's so much jealousy out there ....it is ridiculous, when I was a teenager I liked my friends who were girls....but we didn't make out with each other...I see all these young girls...and they hang all over each other, and kiss each other, and I have seen all these young girls on my space...and they use vulgar language to talk to each other...it is so nasty...and it is because somewhere someone said that's ok to do, and everyone dumped their morals right down the toilet.

Yes, this world is what you make it, and believe me...this is something I know, because I do that with my family...and my child, but my child has had so many problems with public school because of mean teachers, and horrible terribly behaved kids...who are mean and cruel, and completely disfunctional....and it doesn't matter how much you want to keep your world perfect and things running smoothly...because you have jerks out there who constantly have no respect for people around them...they could care less about anyone but themselves...and when you live in a world that is becoming more and more that way....it is really hard to not deal with it.

That's why I am so glad this song came out.

I went to see the movie "The Invasion" last night- with my son- we though it stunk, watch the original Invasion of the Bodysnatchers for a better movie...

He and I were the only 2 people in the theatre...that has happened to us so many times, my son went the night before to see Rush Hour 3 with his dad, and only 2 other people were in there....it is vbecause movies today stink...the only good thing about Invasion is the kid is trick or treating at the beginning and it takes place at Halloween....but...we came home and The Karate Kid was on...and it has an awesome Halloween scene (at the dance)....I love that movie, I can watch it a billion times and never get sick of it...and that's the difference...it is the people, and the story line, and also there use to be such great movie soundtracks...and they make such terrible music now, so even movies don't have good soundtracks either...it is so sad...because even low budget B movies use to have killer soundtracks.

I keep looking for positive things in today's world...and they get fewer and fewer...you watch the news, and you see people being run over and killed because a teenage kid was busy text messaging- or on a cell phone-while driving....and it just makes you sick...you see young girls being lured out of their homes, and end up missing, because of someone they met off My Space, yet nobody seems to care.

I totally hope to make a difference in my own community with things we do through our business.... I know that's the best I can do. If each person would just be nicer, that would make a huge change....it really would...kindness is contagious....

The way the world is going...it could be the end of Halloween at some point, because of the bad stuff that happens on that day...if more people would make it a fun time like we all do....it could be so fantastic.
I personally wish more people enjoyed Halloween like me. That's why I am here, and why I like it.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Fri Aug 24, 2007 2:59 pm

I know it's hard to keep a good attitude with all the nonsense, all the craziness that happens these days.

But you have to keep going somehow, you'll have some bad days and some really REALLY bad days, but if you don't keep being you, then the chaos wins. It's a drama--a fight. Between the nice dogs and the mean dogs.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Fri Aug 24, 2007 5:29 pm

Hey Spooky, I have so many things I'd like to touch on from what you've said, but I will have to save most of it for another post. But here's a few tid bits to ponder. I too think about all the stuff thats going on in this crazy world everyday. For one, its the reason we quit getting any of the Major newspapers and its why we don't have cable or even Satalite, the news was really affecting my mental state really badly, and I do mean that, so we got rid of them to help decrease my exposure to negativity, trust me I still get enough from other sources so I don't need to add anymore to it.
Here's a couple of things I find enjoyable. I practice random acts of kindness to a complete stranger at least 3 times a week, I find that very rewarding. And I tend to gravitate towards talking to and trying to work with " The Highly Troubled/Aggressive Teens" I feel that those who are doing well and aren't causing problems, well when you ask, they have positve family and friends in their lives, and so I feel the need to help those who don't have any of that in their lives, and spend time with them, and hopefully plant a positive seed. Many take years to see the results, but that fine with me.

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Fri Aug 24, 2007 10:25 pm

You know I have not heard of kids setting houses on fire and such, that is terrible. I do like the song though, and am glad you shared it!
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:06 am

The Big Problem here for the past few years has been Bear Spraying Gang Swarms. A gang of youth with swarm a youth, spray him point blank in the face and then the gangs swarm him/her and do unspeakable acts to them, we had another one just this week. A lot of teens pack it. There's other problems too, but this seems to be the latest evil trend :(

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Sat Aug 25, 2007 2:43 am

Spooky - I can't tell you how much in agreement I am with you. It seems to get harder and harder, everyday to keep up a good attitude with there seemingly being so many jerks everywhere, anymore. And my job is VERY customer service related. By the way, I consistantly get more positive customer feedback than anyone else in my entire region. Thaat's about 150 employees. Just thought I'd mention that.

I know I'm kind of digressing, but there is a point to it. Our lives aren't defined by the things that happen to us, rather, they're defined by how we REACT to the things that happen to us. In 'Man's Search for Meaning' by Viktor E. Frankl (a Nazi Death camp surviver), he explains how when the Nazi's even took away their right to go to the bathroom in private, or at ALL, and they had nothing left, not even the hope of survival, there was one thing the Nazi's had absolutely NO power over... their prisoner's REACTIONS. They would sing and curse God, then pray and sing again and the Nazi's could do nothing but kill them.

Under the most adverse and hopeless conditions, that I pray none of us ever have to go through, they wouldn't give their captors the satisfaction of seeing their inner horror.

I didn't mean to get this into it, but if you don't mind, there's a book that i think EVERYONE should read. I try to live by it everyday and I've been listenning to him on the radio for over 10 years now and I can honestly say that he's truly helped to change my life.

The book is 'Happiness is a Serious Problem' by Dennis Prager, and I urge you all to please give it a look.
http://www.amazon.com/Happiness-Serious ... 118&sr=8-1

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:18 am

Thanks for sharing that song, Spooky, it is the gospel truth.

I agree that all we can do is make good choices and help to light our own little corner of the world. I can't teach every child good manners or how to handle dissapointments, but I can teach MY child. I can't make every person treat the check-out clerk at WalMart with respect, but I can. I can't make the rude patients that I work with everyday less rude, but I can respond to them with kindness and a loving heart. And I can try REAL hard to make Halloween a great experience for my friends, family, and the kids in my neighborhood!! :D
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:32 am

You can't MAKE the world be the way you want.

But...

When you go out there and do a good deed, treat someone with respect, help someone who needs help...

...you show the world out there that it is possible. And maybe someone who didn't think they were capable of being kind will see that, and give it a try.

Spooky
Haunt Master

Post by Spooky » Sat Aug 25, 2007 12:56 pm

D.O.D-I don't get the newspaper either, or watch the news, but if you randomly flip through the channels at night...all you'll find are court tv and crimes shows....

I agree that you have to set an example, and even though other people can be jerks, you will find great people too. I am not saying the world is all bad. People ask me all the time why I would ever open my house up to complete strangers and let them stay over night (having a Bed N Breakfast)...but that has helped me to see how there are such great people out there.

I have had a bunch of trouble with local people in the town I live in, and if I based how I feel about people in general on a bunch of rednecks then I would loose my mind, but because people that stay at B & B's are people who want to have a more homey stay and they want to talk with you and they all have really interesting lives, it has helped me tremendously.

I could start writing a book about the people who have stayed with me...it is amazing what people accomplish in their lifetime.

I use to have alot of hobbies when I was younger....and now I am going back to those things again for fun. I love listening to music from the 50's, 60's 70's and 80's-where the lyrcis were about love and being happy...and I do believe your a product of everything you come in contact with and surround yourself with.

I love planning our Halloween party. I just ordered a bunch of new stuff to decorate with. I ordered my mom a Raggedy Ann costume..which I think will be cute on her. I found some new recipes. When I was just in Cape Cod- my friend gave me this awesome Vidalia Onion Dip recipe...that I am going to use for Halloween. I am going to post it on here, when I have more time.

I just got a call from my son's principal and he wants us and my son to be a part of a new community program to get communites close...and that's my whole goal....because I miss that the most from when I was a kid...when you knew all your neighbors...and trick or treating wasn't the only time of year you saw them.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Aug 25, 2007 5:34 pm

Hey Spooky, I think it's awesome that you run a B&B, it must be a very rewarding job, I can only imagine the wonderful experiences you must get with such a job. I'm sorry to hear you're having troubles with Certain groups of People in your community, I do hope it gets better for you. Your Halloween party sounds like it's going to be fantastic! You'll have to post pictures afterwards.
I think that its great that your community is launching a new community program to help bring communities closer, you'll be awesome at that :D