Victorian ghost?!

Chat about your costumes
ghostgirl2012
Ghost
What is the highest number?: 9

Victorian ghost?!

Post by ghostgirl2012 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:22 am

Uhm.. Hi- Alright, for Halloween I am trying to be a Victorian Ghost, but the costume costs $120, and Im 13, so theres a tiny problem with that, haha.

Im Sewing my costume this year. I'm going to try and sew it myself, because I like the feeling of accomplishment :P.. Im just wondering if anyone has any ideas on how to make the costume.. I know how to sew and everything..But Im wondering if anyone has ideas on like details. Things like that.

Heres the link to the costume that I can't afford: http://www.buycostumes.com/Search_All_e ... etail.aspx

Here are some things about me that I don't know if I need to add, so I will: I am 13. I am 5'11". Im a plus size. I will probably be wearing my halloween costume to school. anything else, just ask..
I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes the fun out of Halloween.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Aug 25, 2007 7:55 am

Hi ghostgirl2012, and welcome to our spooky abode. I love the costume you've picked out for your Victorian Ghost costume. Yes $120 is a heck of a lot of money at 13 or 31, so I can understand your situation. Is there any way of having a similar costume made for you? Or could you find one similar thats not quite so expensive? How badly do you want this? is there any way you could make a compromise, say, if your birthday is coming up or xmas, you'd be willing to give your gift up for then in exchange for your costume?
But more then likely, you should be able to make something workout. Heck I'm finding it difficult to come up with $100 US for my costume, so I am have to figure something else out. Keep checking all the costume stores on-line because many of them run sales quite often, maybe you could find that same costume somewhere else more affordable?
Well, good luck and I will keep my eyes out for that costume when I am hunting for my own on sale, and if I find it cheaper I will post about it here.

ghostgirl2012
Ghost

Post by ghostgirl2012 » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:18 am

Dutchess of Darkness-

I am trying to make a costume like that, because it is a lot cheaper that way. Im just trying to figure out what sort of details I should put on it. Should I embroider something onto it? what sort of sleeves should I have. Those type of things.

I wish things like that weren't so expensive. I would be much happier.. but Im pretty happy with making a costume, it adds some originality to it.

Here's another question that I would like to add. How worn should I make the dress look. and how do I make the dress I am making look grey? Im giong to take a picture of it pinned up on the mannequin soon to show you what I mean. So far it is just a boring looking dress.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:26 am

Hi ghostgirl2012, Well seeing how you really like that one from the on-line store, why not try and make it look just as worn as that one, I thought it looked great! As for colouring it grey to look old, maybe see if Rit Dye comes in Grey, or maybe you could buy it in black because I know it comes in black and just use very little of it, not sure if that would give the colour you want, but that all I can think of. Or when you make the costume try and find grey fabric? Sounds like your on the right track though. Have you posted yet on the new member Introduction Thread so that more of the members meet you. There's a lot of very talented and creative spirits lurking around here, surely others will be able to offer you other ideas as well :D :wink:

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:50 am

ghostgirl2012,

just off the top of my head, when I think "ghost" I think of tulle (you know that material that is sort of like mosquito netting?). You can buy it in all sorts of colors, and it is floaty, and easy to shred (makes it look old) and it is really cheap (at least at my WalMart). So maybe you could incorporate that into your dress, or use it as a "shawl", or for tatters on the dress. I'll think about it some more, and get back to you.

Hooch
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Sat Aug 25, 2007 8:44 pm

Hi ghostgirl2012 :)

Firstly, wow what a beautiful costume!!! Secondly, wow what a hefty price tag :?

Not to worry though, because you can still make an amazing costume to look just like it. Charity/thrift shops are a great place to pick up the base part of the outfit - all you need to start off with is a white (or whichever colour you wish :)) skirt and a long sleeved top. Get some white lace from a fabric shop - or see if someone has an old net curtain that they don't need anymore that they could give you! Sew a length of lace onto the bottom of the skirt, and some around the bottom of the sleeves to give them a Victorian feel.

For the middle bit, you could use a length of satin/organza material (whichever goes better with the top and skirt that you get) and measure it out so that you can wrap it comfortably around your waist and tie a big bow at the back. Make a couple of bows out of some thick ribbon and sew them to the front of the sash.

A short length of white tulle will do nicely for the neckerchief, and you should be able to get a wide brimmed hat in one of the summer sales (or check eBay/charity shops). Cut two short, narrow pieces of tulle and sew one to each side of the hat, then tie them together under your chin in a bow. If you want, you could even add a little trim of lace to the brim of the hat.

Wear with some lace gloves and some ankle boots and you're done! To make the dress look old, snag it with some scissors here and there and roll the garments around in some dirt a bit (not mud, obviously, but grit or dust from asphault or even a thick layer of *actual* dust from a high shelf or something. My friend made a zombie costume out of a white dress once and to make it look old and dusty she literally kicked it down the length of the road! :lol: But if you are sewing delicate things to it I don't think that would be a good idea lol

I'm not a clothes-maker by all means but I do love making costumes and this was my interpretation of how you could reproduce this beautiful outfit. Feel free to use any of the ideas (or none at all!!) but if you want any other ideas or anything, you are very welcome to PM me :)

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:18 am

There is also a less expensive version of that coatume, here's a link.

http://www.spirithalloween.com/womens-c ... t-costume/

It's stll about $40 but maybe some searching online will help you find oone in the $30 range? At any rate, it's about $80 cheaper!

Hope it helps.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:10 pm

WOW Dr.Strange, Sweet Find! And what a difference in price! Wow I don't know if you could even make that yourself for that price.. :shock: Oh I can't wait for ghostgirl2012 to see your post, I bet she'll just be bursting with excitement! Way to go there Dr.Strange! :D

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:13 pm

I got nothin' but love for my peeps!!!! :D

I hope it's something she can swing, I've thougt about getting the male version of this costume (they're sold as a set in some stores); it has a real "Haunted Mansion" feel.

ghostgirl2012
Ghost

Post by ghostgirl2012 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:51 pm

Wow! I love how everyone gave me GREAT ideas or great finds!! Thanks everyone!

Actually I started making my costume today though.. and even though Im not the best at sewing Im trying my hardest, and tomorrow or soon I am going to get some tulle and do the bow idea.. Im still on the look out for a hat though. I got a locket too, its very victorian. I'll be sure to take a picture of the costume once its done!

Thanks to everyone whos given me ideas!

If anyone else has any other ideas just let me know!!

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:36 pm

Hi, GhostGirl,

Don't forget to check ebay for vintage hats, as well as vintage stores & consignment shops.
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Sun Sep 09, 2007 11:35 pm

Once you sew it you could take it outside and beat it with a broom, then throw some baby powder on it. Think muted tones and whatever seems right to you, it's your costume!
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Mon Sep 10, 2007 12:27 am

ghostgirl2012 wrote:... and even though Im not the best at sewing Im trying my hardest...
Practice makes perfect. Patience helps too...

Just make sure you post photos, if you can, of your costume when it is finished. I'd love to see your masterpiece!

portia319
Zombie

Post by portia319 » Wed Sep 19, 2007 10:14 pm

I had the same problem with my husband's costume. This is the one I want:

http://www.buycostumes.com/Search_All_j ... etail.aspx

Its $113!

Instead I'm bidding on a victorian looking suit on Ebay. I got a lab coat from work. Now we just have to do the hair/make up.
Amber
Minneapolis, MN