Different World

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Sat Aug 25, 2007 10:12 pm

Spooky:

You should write a book, it would be so interesting to hear all the different stories of all the people that you have met through your B&B.

You could call it: " (fill in the blank) Slept Here" Wouldn't that look funny on the cover?? Subtitle could be "tales from a B&B" :lol:
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Spooky
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Spooky » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:30 am

Hooch-That's a cool idea...I just had a couple check out this morning, they were from Israel. They were so nice. I have a mother and daughter that are staying with me now...they will be here 9 nights. The mother turns 80 in a month, and their story is awesome. She grew up here, and she found the house she was born in, the other day...it is now a funeral home...they let them go inside and look at it, her house was across the street from the church that she played the organ at when she was a teenager, and they are there right now. They were at a little hot dog place the other day and just talking to people- they came here with no plans except to look at the places they remember as a child, and they wanted to try and find their old friends. The daughter's hobby is geneology- and I found out so much information about stuff just from talking to them. But, they ran in to a man at the hot dog place who went to school with the mother...and he knew how to contact her best friend from when they were kids, so yesterday I get this call..they are still in bed, but it was the mother's childhood best friend, and she was so elated...she told me to have her call when she got up, and don't tell her who it was, it was so cool to see her face when she was told who was on the other end. I am so excited every day to hear what they have been doing all day. Today the mom was very overwhelmed at going back to church, alot of the people who will be there know her mom and dad, she was an only child...which was rare for back then...so this is a major deal for them, and I know it is the last time she'll ever be here. Her husband of 48 years passed away a year ago, and she has missed him so much, her daughter said this whole trip was to get her perked back up again...because sometimes it is so devastating to loose your spouse at that age... that the one who survives...often looses the will to live...and that's kind of the case here. But, I just love them both, they are so friendly.

I keep a scrapbook with photos of everyone who has stayed here...I just opened last April, and have had almost 70 people stay here already...so I could probably write a book every year about the people.

I just went to Cape Cod to visit people from last year....I couldn't believe that since I have been back I have heard on TV ..Cape Cod being mentioned every day...the day we came back, they talked about a shark attacking some seals- and I just saw seals in the ocean at the national seashore-it was awesome, and then I hear on Emerill Live-he's talking about Fall River and Swansea, Mass...and that's where I was for 2 nights , I told my friends about it...and they said yep, he's from Fall River, and that they went to his show and held up a sign that said "we are from Fall River" and they got to go sit up front and have him cook for them.

So, stuff like that is so cool to me.

I have met a lot of nicer local people ...the problems I have had.. have been with a group of volunteer firemen who are complete and total vulgar disgusting disrespectful jerks....but soon that should be done too, because my best friend is the assistant to our state rep, and they are moving the firehall....away from people....so I am lucky to be getting rid of that situation.

The problem I had at public school- I fixed it too- the teacher that had been mean to my son- is gone- they transfered her out....and it will make a huge difference now, for not just my kid but every kid there, because she was horrible, and I am friends with the principal, and since I got majorly mad and did something about the whole thing...they have started anti-bullying seminars and had all kinds of changes made. He booted her down the road, which is going to send a message to others like her...that they could be next-if they don't get their act together.

I totally believe that you can't just sit around and complain about the things you don't like about the world, you have to actually be willing to get involved to change them...and so many things in this town have changed since we have been here, even people around us who started improving their homes....because we completely renovated ours, and it's contagious- people get inspired by seeing people creating a better life...

That's my goal with Halloween...I want to bring it back to being FUN. Last year blew me away with how much people got involved in creating these awesome costumes and the pumpkins they carved....I loved all of it. I work really hard at doing the food, and decorations...and coming up with cool prizes and cool games to play, and all my good friends spend the night, we stay up after the party is over- and we eat all the leftovers and watch horror movies all night...I love that! None of us drink alcohol, so it is never that kind of party...infact my friend and I joked because 1 year we were done with the party, and getting ready to watch "The Fog"-the original, and we had ate so much we were in the kitchen getting some Pepto Bismol-(I was measuring us each a spoon full), when someone knocked on the window and scared us half to death....it was a friend of my husband's coming late ...we laughed our heads off, because we thought it was hysterical that we don't even drink, and there we were looking like we had partied like crazy-which we had- but not the way most people think...

I wish more people could just take the time to appreciate the time they have , and that more people could live their lives with more positive things that don't have to be gigantic...but that make them happy in little ways every day...and being nice is the best form of medicine for people who are depressed. People tend to treat strangers better than their own family at times...I see so much fighting today between families, where they go years with out speaking to each other over petty stupid things...when all that time is wasted and lost forever, and I just wish that people would realize you can't change the past...everyone has had tragedy in their life, nobody's childhood was perfect, people have had horrendous childhoods, but you have to move beyond it, and don't let yourself be trapped. I loved my childhood and have been lucky, it wasn't perfect...but I appreciate every experience I ever went through because it made me who I am today, and I love my life, and I feel it is because I live every day as if it were my last, and if I die tomorrow I will know that everyone I know.. knows I love them, I don't regret anything in life, and I totally wish more people could get to that piont, because it really does make you cherish everything.