Halloween Mucis on Vinyl

Talk about television shows, movies, music and more!
Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Halloween Mucis on Vinyl

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 01, 2019 9:26 am

Hi Folks:

As some of you may remember, I am a lover of the 'old school' phonograph record, and am in to collection audiophile quality recordings of various genres of music that I knew and loved through out my life.

Presently I am looking to build up my collection that was destroyed in the fire of 2015, which I have to a great extent, but I would love it if some of you can point me in the right direction. I presently received a special Halloween limited edition blood red vinyl pressing of Henry Mancini's album "Experiment in Terror." The sound track from the movie of the same name. Anyway, I am looking for more records like that. Halloween themed music pressed on colored vinyl, or good quality 'original master' recordings or 45rpm of songs such as "Monster Mash," "Tubular Bells," "Phantom of the Opera, Bach's "Tocata and Fugue"

If any of you have records to sell or know of where I can find such recordings, I would appreciate it.

While I'm on the subject, I notice that a lot of the newer horror flicks seem to feature record players in them. Tv shows like "Bates Motel" prominently feature a 1060s vintage stereo counsel. I also saw a phonograph in "American Horror Story: Hotel," and in a few other of the "AHS" francises as well. How many of you are into collecting vinyl?

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Halloween Mucis on Vinyl

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jun 01, 2019 5:47 pm

Is this THE Mike; motorcycle afficianado, from the upper midwest??
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 01, 2019 10:19 pm

Yes, that's me. I am still some what of a motorcycle enthusiast, but unfortunately health problems have kept me out of the saddle for several years. I am planning on getting a trike at some point, but buying a new home, medical bills, and my insatable love of audio equipment has put a crimp in the finances, so for now, when the weather is nice, I rent a trike.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:28 am

AndyBev informed me of your return. I can't say how much this delights me. I didn't even know this forum was still in existence, after the attempted merger with Hauntworld. I pretty much tuned out after that. Glad to see you and Halloween.com are still active.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Jun 02, 2019 4:19 am

Looking into this, I would say eBay would probably be the best way to rebuild your collection. In the meantime, will this do?

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:21 pm

I use to have a few Halloween records like that before the fire of 2015. Thanks for the link.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Jun 02, 2019 1:20 pm

Discogs started off as an information website for old vinyl & has kind of morphed into a trading site.

https://www.discogs.com/sell/list?q=Hal ... rmat=Vinyl

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 02, 2019 3:22 pm

It's funny you should mention Discogs, Andybe01. I made quite a few acquisitions through them, including "Tijuana Christmas," by the Border Brass, "Down in the Wee Room" by the Irish Brigade, "A Festival of Israeli Folk Songs" by Theodore Bikel and quite a few others that I can't think of off the top of my head. If you're a fellow efficionado of vinyl like I am, you might want to check out Acousticsounds.com and Ellusivedisc.com. They carry box sets, special color vinyl edditions, 45 rpm albums and original master recordings. I found several recordings by the B-52s that where original masters cut on200 gram vinyl, and a box set of the cars first 6 albums on color vinyl.

Anyway, I don't want to turn this message board into an audiophile forum, but vinyl is making a huge come-back, and with the right equipment and recording, it's awesome, and in my humble opinion. has advantages over digital recordings in terms of usability and sound quality.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:53 pm

Vinyl does rule. I'm actually listening to some of my old Elton John Records right now. Tumbleweed Connection and Madman Across the Water. Sounds so good at full blast! I guess my neighbors are listening too? I can't wait to see the movie. I loved Elton in the second Kingsman movie. But such a potty mouth!

Tiny Dancer's up. Gotta go!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:33 am

Nevermore, I buy a lot of records at Acousticsounds.com. You can buy 45 rpm albums that have incredible sound, and 200 gram and 180 gram vinyl box sets of a lot of artists. 45 rpm albums are simply albums that are cut at 45 rpm. Instead of a single 12 inch disc, you get two 12 inch discs. Side one would become record one, and side two would become record two, and you play them at 45 instead of 33 and a third. The sound quality is awesome. I have "The Doors" 45 rpm box set, and it's a new experience every time I play those records.

You can also get half-speed original master recordings, Direct to Disc, and a whole host of used records that are not even being pressed any more.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Jun 15, 2019 12:55 am

Sort of a bummer, the news that's coming out about the Universal Music vault fire. Though the fire happened in 2008 it's just coming out now how bad it really was. Up to 500,000 master recordings by some of the biggest artists have been lost. This means, no releases higher quality than CD, no more vinyl releases, ect. You would think, in this information age we live in, no one would keep a single copy of their most important data in one place. But... there you go.

Here's a link to the story.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:10 pm

There is a ray of hope there, all though a thin one. A lot of those old master tapes were cut to lacquers by various labs that specialize in high end audiophile recordings on vinyl. Quality Record Pressings, Music on Vinyl, and Mobile Fidelity Sound, just to name three, would, or at least I would hope, that any lacquers they cut from Universal Master Tapes that were destroyed in that fire were not destroyed. It's often customary to destroy a lacquer after a limited number of pressings are released, but you never know. After the news came out about that fire, maybe they and other such audiophile companies archived those lacquers for future release.

Of course, it must be remembered that a lot of record labels were owned by a single entity. Columbia, Capitol, Universal, Warner Brothers, etc (the recording studios who actually sign the artist and record and edit the master tapes, have subsidiaries that put their own labels on the records or CDs. A lot of my records are on a lot of different labels, but my personal favs tend to fall on RCA Victor, Columbia and A&M labels.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 7:17 pm

My brother is heavily into vinyl and often times will come across a novelty.

This is from the early eighties a group from Down Under called Split Enz that features their hit song 'I Got You', the laser etching has no effect whatsoever on the sound quality, it just looks cool on the turntable.
Attachments
1229171905_20190615160757465.jpg
1229171905_20190615160757465.jpg (119.71 KiB) Viewed 19148 times

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:38 pm

That is cool looking, and probably very rare. I also enjoyed a lot of music by Split Ens, too. Now a days, color viny, photo discs, and 45 rpm albums are all the rage. I have a lot of the
Doors, Henry Mancini and others on 45 rpm. I have the Cars box set on colored vinyl, as well as two recordings by Henry Mancini, "Charade" and "Experiment in Terror" on blood red vinyl. I also have a very nice quality picture disc of the sound track album from the movie "O Brother Where Art Thou." I haven't actually seen the movie, but I love the music.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Jun 16, 2019 7:50 pm

Alison Krauss is a fantastically talented artist, and is the top Grammy winning female artist with 27 wins.

Even if you can't find the vinyl I recommend buying the 2-disc set of Alison Krauss & Union Station Live.