Worst and Best Thing You Ever Got in Your Trick or Treat Bag

What do you do when you Trick or Treat?
Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Worst and Best Thing You Ever Got in Your Trick or Treat Bag

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 02, 2019 12:38 pm

Hi Folks:

I remember starting a similar threat a few years back, but I thought it would be fun to start it up again, only I thought I would change it to both worst and best.

I will start out with some of the lamest things, and 3 items that come to mind right off the bat is 1. A flyer for a car dealership. I was 10 years old, and was not exactly in the market for a new Ford. The 2nd thing that I couldn't quite grasp the concept of was a ticket, I mean a small red scrap of cardboard that simply said "Admit One" on it. The 3rd thing that comes to mine, and this is something that I will never figure out to this day was the time I rang the door bell, a guy answered, I said "Trick or Treat," so he picked up an apple out of a basket, took a bit out of it, then tossed it in my ToT bag. Then he closed the door and walked away laughing.

Some of the best things I got, and again 3 items come to mind here, I would STILL have today if not for that fire. The first thing was a large box of Cracker Jack. The 2nd thing was actually a Halloween rock that had been painted and polished. I had that thing for years until the fire. The 3rd thing I don't have any more, but it's an interesting story as to how I got it. There was an eccentric older gentleman who lived in the old neighborhood who everyone was afraid to ToT at his house. the local legend was that kids who ToT ed at his house disappeared. Anyway, I was about 8 years old. It was Halloween 1968, and I went to his door on a dare issued by one of the older kids who was also a bit of a bully. I took him up on his dare and rang the door bell. When the gentleman in question came to the door, he put a 1 pound Hearshey bar in my ToT bag. Rubberbaned to it was a 20 dollar bill, and in 1968, 20 dollars bought a lot more. He said it was my 'reward' for not being fooled by all the rumors and gossip that was spread around the neighborhood about him. He and I became friends that day, and I would often help him out with snow shoveling during the Winter months.

Anyway, those are my Worst and Best stories.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Re: Worst and Best Thing You Ever Got in Your Trick or Treat Bag

Post by NeverMore » Fri Jun 07, 2019 9:47 pm

I got a rock.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 08, 2019 8:27 am

Nevermore, that is STILL my favorite Halloween tv special. It was THE FIRST DVD I bought after the one I had was destroyed in the fire of 15. 'Good ole Charlie Brown' has entertained me through out every season through tv specials to fit all seasons. I also miss that rock I got in my TOT bag years ago. I used it to decorate my room and later my house for Halloween......UH......I would say since 1970.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:45 am

Mike, that story about your elderly neighbor is fabulous!

I never got these, but my kids once got political literature, and another time, church literature. Both places gave out candy, too, though. I shrugged it off.

In my own childhood, one couple always got a big bowl full of nickels, and each child could grab a handful. We loved that!

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jun 12, 2019 10:46 pm

A lot of neighbors handed out pennies and nickels, and this was back in the day that 10 cents could buy a Hostess Suzie Q. Every Halloween I would go through my bag after coming back from TOT, and would find close to a dollar.

Mike