4th of July

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

4th of July

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:59 pm

Hi Folks:

If there's one thing I love every bit as much as pumpkins, ghosts, witches, and all the other assorted 'creatures of the night' that come out on Halloween, it's smoke bombs, fire crackers, bottle rockets and all the fun filled combustibles that go with the Summer season as much as beaches, pools and barbecues. Of course I'm referring to the 4th of July, Summer's answer to Christmas, and in all honestly I have to say that it ranks neck and neck with Halloween for being one of the most fun days of the year.

SO, I was wondering if you good people are as passionate about it as I am. A lot of people like to attend local fireworks displays, while others more prone to pyromania (like me) are into lighting those wicks and getting away and enjoying the show. I always loved lighting off fireworks. Firecrackers and smoke bombs during the day, and the more spectacular ones when the sun goes down.

By the way, did you all know that there are HALLOWEEN fireworks available for sale. That's right. I found Halloween themed fireworks at the same tent where I bought my stash for last 4th of July. I saved them for Halloween, and was 'king for a day' with my across-the-street neighbors. So maybe 'Jack the Pumpkin King of Halloween" should pay a visit to the land of the 4th of july.

Anyway I thought this could be a fun discussion being that the 4th of July is only a little over 2 weeks away.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: 4th of July

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jun 14, 2019 8:27 am

I remember your enthusiasm for the Fourth!

I like to watch patriotic movies, like 1776 and Sons of Liberty (tv miniseries), in the run up to the Fourth. Also I like to read pertinent literature, like the Adams/Jefferson letters, or some of the Federalist Papers, etc. And of course the Declaration. Sometimes I read bios of one or more of the founders.

On the day itself, if weather permits, I like to swim. My husband will grill or smoke, and I like to have watermelon and/or a mixed berry parfait with vanilla yogurt. We have a few modest seasonal decorations and clothing for the holiday. We attend the local fireworks display and sometimes do sparklers at home afterward.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Fri Jun 14, 2019 4:43 pm

That parfait thing sounds pretty yummy. Weather permitting I am going to grill up some brats, and a friend of mine is bringing home made potato salad. Unfortunately as hand as I am at the barbecue, I am not too handy when it comes to deserts, so I'll have to depend on Hostess or Dolly Madison. Perhaps some Rice Krispie Treats.

As for the fireworks, I do plan on lighting a few wicks myself, but I have to be a bit more careful. I'm going to be 59 on the 24th of July, and I'm not as spry as I was when I was younger.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jun 14, 2019 9:23 pm

If you were to cut me I would bleed red white and blue.

The photo below is of my writing desk from this past Memorial Day, and if you look at the TV screen to the right you will see a screen capture of the HBO miniseries 'John Adams' based on David McCullough's biography of same.

If you have not seen it yet I highly recommend it.

And Murph I'm right there with you with a frequent airing of 1776 The Musical.

Even Ken Howard couldn't sour this wonderful historic romp with his portrayal of Thomas Jefferson.
Attachments
0525191736.jpg
0525191736.jpg (99.6 KiB) Viewed 18215 times
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:36 am

I think I got you beat Andy. Here's my place last 4th of July. I had just got my Hue lights and found some appropriate images for my computer monitors. I think I was watching 'The American Revolution' mini-series from 2006 at the time.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 15, 2019 2:19 pm

My computer is really a simple affair, and I don't have satellite or cable tv, but I'm sure my library has 1776 or something of that ilk that I can screen on the DVD player. At any rate, I do plan to do fireworks and grill for the 4th. I might even attend the town fireworks display, and there will also be a parade which I plan to check out with my camera.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jun 15, 2019 3:11 pm

NeverMore wrote: Sat Jun 15, 2019 1:36 am I think I got you beat Andy. Here's my place last 4th of July. I had just got my Hue lights and found some appropriate images for my computer monitors. I think I was watching 'The American Revolution' mini-series from 2006 at the time.

That looks all right if you're going to a MAGA rally in a retro discotech.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sat Jun 15, 2019 6:34 pm

I sort of like the 'retro disco tech look, all though I was not a huge fan of Disco music. There were a few songs I liked, though. Anyway in the long term, I am thinking of doing something like that to my 'man cave.' The trouble is I am constantly spending my extra cash on upgrades for my stereo system. Last month it was a new turn table. The month before last it was an Alen 7 Heath ZED 14 sound board. Now I want to purchase a better phono cartridge for my turn table and upgrade to a better phono preamp. Then there's all the loot I blow on records. Go figure.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 am

Andy, I am familiar with the Adams miniseries and think the book on which it was based is even better. It reads like a novel.

In an interview, McCullough, who has written about several presidents, was asked who he thought was the best. Without hesitation, he responded, "George Washington, because he invented the office. If he'd gotten it wrong, the whole project would have been sunk. But he didn't. He got it right."

Mike, you mentioned Halloween themed fireworks. That would be neat, but against the law around here. We are allowed fireworks for about ten days around the Fourth, and another brief window around New Year's.

In my deep South childhood we used to shoot off fireworks at Christmas. For decades after the Civil War (until WWII) Southerners would not celebrate the Fourth, because Vicksburg fell on the Fourth. But during my teen years that started to change. Communities started civic displays, and fireworks at Christmas gradually became a thing of the past. My mother never liked fireworks on Christmas Day, anyway.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Sun Jun 16, 2019 4:45 pm

Halloween fireworks seem to be growing in popularity some what, because here in Illinois 'Trick or Treat' is starting to die off due parents fear for their children, and some people won't answer the door on Halloween because there was a rash of home invasions last year on Halloween. It's also been so stringently regulated any more most of the fun was taken out of it.

At any rate, I do have to check on town ordinances that may prohibit fireworks to be lit off within the town limits, but there are no state laws against certain classes of fireworks. Most of the 'good stuff' is totally illegal in Illinois even on the 4th, but you can still get ground display items, smoke bombs, sparklers and the like.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jun 17, 2019 11:05 am

ToTing is still big around here, but people now gravitate to highly decorated, destination neighborhoods that promote the holiday on Facebook. Happily for me, we have one of those right around the corner, so we get some spill-over. You have to put on a show these days to get the ToTers.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Jun 17, 2019 12:29 pm

Murfreesboro wrote: Sun Jun 16, 2019 9:26 am Andy, I am familiar with the Adams miniseries and think the book on which it was based is even better. It reads like a novel.

In an interview, McCullough, who has written about several presidents, was asked who he thought was the best. Without hesitation, he responded, "George Washington, because he invented the office. If he'd gotten it wrong, the whole project would have been sunk. But he didn't. He got it right."
That's the genius of McCulloughs work.

Yes it's history but moreover he makes it engaging.

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Mon Jun 17, 2019 4:25 pm

Murf, I have spoken to a few of my neighbors and there is TOT here in Streator. There are also two 'spook houses' held every October to raise money for education and to raise money for the local 4 H chapter. I was told it was pretty good, and they have food there, too. The town also sponsors 'trunk or treat' for parents who want to stick to people who they know, and there's a town related Halloween party at one of the parks where food venders, costume contests, jack o'lantern carving contests and ghost stories abound. As for having exterior decorations up in order to get the ToT traffic, what you said is exactly what my neighbor told me. It helps if you put out outdoor Halloween decorations. I thought I would put a pumpkin head over my two outdoor lights and put some kind of a yard display to get the ToTers to my front door. If I can find one, I might even put on a sound effects record or CD.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jun 19, 2019 10:50 am

Sounds like a great place in October, and similar to what our town does. :)

Pumpkin_Head
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Head » Wed Jun 19, 2019 3:43 pm

I've been hearing a lot of good things about what they do here in Streator during the Halloween season and I can't wait to see for myself. Of course, I am still going to enjoy the rest of Summer, the 4th of July, my Birthday and last but by no means least, my celebration of the Apollo 11 50th anniversary. It looks like there are going to be 7 people over here for that.

Mike