HALLOWEEN MOVIE QUESTION

Discussion of general Halloween topics
JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

HALLOWEEN MOVIE QUESTION

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:21 am

I WAS WATCHING THE MOVIE HALLOWEEN LAST NIGHT. NEAR THE BEGINNING, JAMIE LEE'S DAD HANDS HER A KEY, AND TELLS HER TO PLACE IT UNDER THE DOOR MAT OF THE OLD MYERS HOME. THAT WOULD HAVE BEEN HIS OLD HOME!! RIGHT?? WHAT GIVES?

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Sun Aug 26, 2007 11:54 am

No, that's not his old home. He's a real estate agent. If you listen closely, he tells her that he's "showing the home to someone later"... as in someone is interested in buying the place. He's probably the listing agent for the property (which means he has a key).

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 1:05 pm

You're right. Laurie's Dad is a realtor and he listing the house for sale.

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:46 pm

He's a Realtor®, but as we learn in Halloween II, he's also the father of Michael Myers. It's his voice we hear in the prologue, asking, "Michael?" when he is discovered with the butcher knife.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 3:53 pm

I thought Laurie was adopted by the Strode family in that storyline created when they made Halloween II...Mr. Strode is supposed to be Mr. Myers also??

It bugs me about this whole "Michael's sister" thing because it definitely wasn't part of the story when the first film was made...

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Sun Aug 26, 2007 4:54 pm

Oh, you're right. :oops: Sorry!

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sun Aug 26, 2007 5:30 pm

So, what's the deal? Laurie got removed from the Myers family so she could grow up without a psycho killer as a brother? And then Michael comes back fifteen years later and sorta sniffs her out? "snif snif......that girl's my sistah!"

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:50 pm

That IS kinda confusing, isn't it? :wink:

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Sun Aug 26, 2007 8:55 pm

Lori is definitely adopted by the Strode family because her parents were killed in a car crash. I think that's how it goes. I'm not really sure how Michael figures out that she is his sister.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:14 pm

Ok, this is my understanding of it all!
Michael age 6, Judith age 16 (the sister that he kills) and Laurie age 2, are all siblings. First -Michael kills Judith and is sent the the insane assylum. This happens in the first movie. Their parents, are then, at some unknown point, killed in a car accident. Laurie is the only survivor and adopted by the Strodes. So the characters that are left after the killings/car accident are Michael (who is in the assylum) and Laurie-who has since been adopted by the Strodes. The whole thing about Laurie is confusing since she is not mentioned or shown as a sibling in the first movie. I think that may be it, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong :)
Last edited by MichaelMyers on Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:34 pm, edited 3 times in total.

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Sun Aug 26, 2007 9:29 pm

I'm not sure how much light this article will shed on the confusion, but it's a really good read if you are into the film! I'm such a geek - I love wikipedia entries :D

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Halloween_%281978_film%29

JACKRYAN592
Haunt Master

Post by JACKRYAN592 » Mon Aug 27, 2007 12:59 am

Laurie is Michaels sister. So why would her father (Mr Myers) the real estate agent, tell her to put the key under the mat at the old Myers residence? Nothing was ever said about her parents being killed in the first movie. Also, how would she never know of the killing of her sister by her brother? She would obviously have heard it from the kids in her neiborhood. I am totally confused!!

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:11 am

Well, you see, the kids in her neighborhood hadn't been told yet by screenwriters John Carpenter and Debra Hill. :wink:

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:27 am

Folks, the reason there is no indication of this stuff in the first movie is that, when the first movie was made, it was not part of the story.

It was made up for Halloween II...that's why the additional scenes for television were filmed (a couple of YEARS after the original film was finished), so they could tie Halloween I in with Halloween II's "Laurie is Michael's sister" subplot.

I never liked this "Laurie is Michael's sister" thing, it always seemed silly to me.

MichaelMyers
Haunt Master

Post by MichaelMyers » Mon Aug 27, 2007 6:07 pm

JACKRYAN592 wrote:Laurie is Michaels sister. So why would her father (Mr Myers) the real estate agent, tell her to put the key under the mat at the old Myers residence? Nothing was ever said about her parents being killed in the first movie. Also, how would she never know of the killing of her sister by her brother? She would obviously have heard it from the kids in her neiborhood. I am totally confused!!
Hey Jack-I think that you are confusing the two fathers. Lauries real father was Mr. Myers...he and his wife were the ones killed in the accident. The father that the real estate agent is Mr. Strode...Lauries adoptive parents. He is telling Laurie to put the key under the old Myers house. The mentioning of her parents being killed is in the second movie, not the first. Thats why its so confusing...my first post about the parents kind of explains it....I hope this helps, and hello to my Halloween Gift Partner :)