Salem or BUST!!! Halloween, 2009!!

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Laurie Strode

Salem or BUST!!! Halloween, 2009!!

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:33 am

Guess it's never too early to start seriously planning for a trip this big with this many participators. :D I figured we might need a thread to post all things Salem...any links for interesting spots, hotels available in the area, anything to help us organize this sucker!! What do you guys think?......

(And now I gotta leave this site alone for a bit, I have work to do around here..this place is addictive! :lol: )

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Mon Aug 27, 2007 10:48 am

Going to Salem, MA for a full moon Halloween on a Saturday night? Maybe.
With kids who still TOT it might be more likely that we could go sometime in October....

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:18 pm

Would love to go, but like Dr. Strange, little trick or treaters pose a problem for that night.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Aug 27, 2007 1:33 pm

I really love the idea of Salem. I suggested it. However, Salem, to my understanding is like a little Mardi-Gras' EVERY Halloween. Can you imagine what it's going to be like on THAT Halloween? Then we're going to add to it!

I think we should really do some research, here and take a lot of things into account.

A central location: MHooch pointed this out and I, too, think it's very important. And we won't know about this one until we know all those involved and this IS two years down the road.

Someplace legendary: There are LOTS of haunted places in the U.S. And who says it even has to be haunted? Perhaps there's a place or places that have a particular affinity for Halloween, like that one little town (I forget what it's name is) in the 50's who dubbed themselves "The official town of Halloween".

These are just a few things to think about now. Not even mentioning how much to we want this to cost.

Laurie Strode

Post by Laurie Strode » Mon Aug 27, 2007 2:29 pm

You guys are right. Our kids will only be 6 that season, still TOT'ing...for a few crazy hours I was considering letting my Mom keep them for their first overnight stay (and handle their TOT'ing) :roll: so I could drag my husband with me on this adventure, but now I feel guilty. SO, we shall remain here where we belong. :)

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Aug 27, 2007 3:02 pm

Hey people, I agree with OEJ, there's a lot of details we need to consider and work out " alot " and two years isn't that far down the road really, it may seem like it, but time really does fly by folks.. PLus those of us that would be coming quite a distance would really need to save for Passports, Plane fair, and anything else needed when travelling to another Country. If fact, I don't even know what all would be involved as I've never traveled past even our next Province. I totally love the idea though, I think it would be so beautiful to go there. :D

Haunted Horseman
Halloween Master

Post by Haunted Horseman » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:15 pm

I agree with OEJ. Some place legendary would be awesome, sometime in the month of October.

jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by jadewik » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:34 pm

I visited Salem in September 2005-- road trip with some old roommates after one us got married (we were out east for the wedding). It was a lot more low-key and, I think, more fun than going in October would have been (I try to avoid crowds). Salem, MA is a very touristy place... things are a little on the expensive side and to visit during the "in season" might burn a hole in a pocketbook rather quickly. Plus, everything you do there costs... Laurie Cabot's shop is a little pricey (but fun to explore), The House of Seven Gables is more or less a waste of funds to see (unless you like looking at old things). The Burying Point is the epitome of spooky graveyards (and probably the only free thing in Salem)... Though, I do recommend forking out the fundage to ride the trolley.

I was single then, and forked out $210 for us girls to spend a night in the Hawthorne Hotel (with its 5-closets in one room?). Hotels in the area outside of Salem were cheaper-- under $100...

If you want a really creepy, but cozy (if that's possible) place to stay at in Mass.... I recommend the place we stayed at when we went to the cape-- Country Acres Motel in Sandwich,MA. It was a really nice place with a lovely view of the cemetery from the bedroom window... the shadows and sounds put me on edge, but the atmosphere was very relaxing and the neighbors were quiet. Hehe.

If I remember when I get home, I can post some photos I took back then... and if I'm feeling up to it, I might pull out the trip journal and type up some of our experiences for some flavour.

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:47 pm

Dutchess of Darkness wrote:If fact, I don't even know what all would be involved as I've never traveled past even our next Province.
Passport Canada: Applying for a passport. The fee is Can $87.

If you'd like to drive to Salem from Chilliwack, it's 5,135 km — about 48 hours if you drive non-stop. The route. I estimate US $640 (Can $681) in gasoline for the round trip.* Add US $25 (Can $27) for an oil and lube.

It's quite scenic from Washington to Wisconsin, especially in autumn.

* Assuming 30 mpg highway and US $3/gallon.
Last edited by Cadaverino on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:08 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Aug 27, 2007 4:49 pm

Hey jadewik, Can't wait to see your pictures. I do think going to Salem would be so fantastic, but I do agree it would be very expensive and require extensive saving. The $210 you paid for the Hotel I take it that was for 1 room, but is that also for each person? how did they work the prices when you were there? I would love to go there though. DId you go to the Halloween ball that Mammahooch was mentioning? How much did that cost if you went that is?

Dutchess of Darkness
Halloween Master

Post by Dutchess of Darkness » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:11 pm

WOW Cadaverino, Thank-You for all that information, I will save this to a file, you're awesome! But in regards to transport, I would either take the Greyhound Bus, or go by Train. I don't do airplanes, and I think it would cost me to much to drive seeing how my car requires Preimum Plus Gas.
Your so sweet, I really do apprecaite all your help :D

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:39 pm

Glad to help, my dear! :D

I just checked Greyhound, and the trip from Chilliwack, BC to Boston, MA ranges between 3 days 9 hours, and 3 days 23 hours.

Call Greyhound's Canadian Passenger Sales Centre at 1-800-661-8747 for information about fares.

Amtrak currently offers service from Vancouver to Boston at US $182 each way.
Last edited by Cadaverino on Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.

One Eye'd Jack

Post by One Eye'd Jack » Mon Aug 27, 2007 5:45 pm

I took a Greyhound bus from Portland, OR to Akron, OH and back, once. It was a 5 day trip, all together. It's something that I can say that I did, but I will never never NEVER do anything like that again!

magickbean
Halloween Master

Post by magickbean » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:09 pm

Wow expensiveness!! :? I never realised that Salem was so expensive.

I don't really mind where we would hold the event, it would just be so wonderful to go over to the States and see America in the Halloween season :)

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Mon Aug 27, 2007 7:54 pm

One of my Halloween dreams is to go to the Hawthorne Hotel's Halloween Ball, and to go with you guys...

...sorry...I'm getting all...choked...up....

:wink:
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus