16%
>100
26%

Total votes: 57

Pennywise11
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:31 am

Well personally I live in a very rural area... Like seriously we only had a couple of kids last year, I bring my children in town for TOT'ing. Boo Hoo... Its not too bad though as there isn't too many children in the direct area where I live... So I enjoy halloween the entire month before.. the actual day is great too and well it is so nice to go to a area where there is more people, all the costumes and mischief in the air... LOL
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:46 am

I also live in a rural area, so needless to say I never get any TOTers.
Some of my friends in the city say they get TOTers. Those people must be pretty brave, as TOTing is pretty much discouraged over here.
Serial Thread Killer.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Wed Aug 29, 2007 10:50 am

Man, another one? What is it with other countries turning Halloween into "Felony-ween"???
:shock:

Cadaverino
Haunt Master

Post by Cadaverino » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 am

Trick-or-treating is really an American custom.

"Souling" door to door in Britain before All Souls Day pretty much died out by the 17th century, and trick-or-treating is seen as a modern, American import (and timewise, there doesn't seem to be any connection between the two).

Same thing with Australia, except that country doesn't even have the souling tradition in its past. Trick-or-treating is an American intrusion there.
Last edited by Cadaverino on Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 am

Dr. Strange What do you mean? People don't commit felonies on halloween over here (well not as far as I know anyway) some people just don't like the idea of TOTing.
So don't blame australia for "turning Halloween into "Felony-ween""!
Serial Thread Killer.

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:30 am

Trick or treating isn't so much discouraged here just not popular. It seems more and more people in our area aren't into anything (decorating for Christmas/Halloween, sports etc.)..bunch of lazy bums!! :lol:
A lot of TOT'ers travel to several surrounding communities, they get more.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:57 am

ooga_booga wrote:Dr. Strange What do you mean? People don't commit felonies on halloween over here (well not as far as I know anyway) some people just don't like the idea of TOTing.
So don't blame australia for "turning Halloween into "Felony-ween""!
Well, what I was referring to was all the posts I've read lately, both here and other forums that discuss all the criminal activity occurring on Halloween in other countries. From house break-ins, to personal attacks, to simple vandalism I have read a steady stream of stories that depict Halloween in other countries as hostile. Not that is doesn't occur in the states but from Scotland to England to other points across the globe TOTing seems an openly hazardous affair in these posts I've read.

If you go back and read my post I never singled out Australia.
Last edited by Dr Strange on Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:53 am, edited 1 time in total.

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Wed Aug 29, 2007 11:18 pm

I'm sorry, Dr. Strange. I now realise that I took your post the wrong way.
Serial Thread Killer.

Dr Strange

Post by Dr Strange » Thu Aug 30, 2007 7:54 am

Not a problem, I'm all about being a patriot for your country!

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 5:24 pm

I live in the NJ suburbs, small town but on a main road. It's a 2-family house, but I'm on the ground floor. I made the mistake the first year I lived there of not decorating outside, only inside for my party. I don't think I had one trick-or-treater. Each year, as I've added more outdoor decorations (so as not to break the bank on any one year), I've gotten more.

Last year was the best. It was about 60F out on Halloween night. My roommate and I dressed in costume (him just lurking in the corner of the porch in a black hooded cloak & me in a queen costume, bad fake British accent & all!), and my then-boyfriend came over to hang out with us too. I brought out a standing ghoul that'd been in the living room, and we put one of the lightning/foggers on the porch with us. We got kids by the droves! We had fog rolling all the way up the street, too (oops! LOL).

The best last year was this one tiny little boy who didn't speak English, dressed as this adorable plush dragon. He saw my roommate looking lurky & got scared & turned... toward the ghoul statue! Got even more scared & didn't know which way to turn. I knelt down to talk to him, but he didn't understand me, so his mom repeated me in Spanish to breathe fire at my roommate. The kid was so cute! He blew at my roommate, who saw it coming & stumbled back. We congratulated the little boy & he was SO happy!
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:18 pm

Larissa,

What a great story!! We get a moderte amt of TOTers, I always have candy left over, but that's part of the plan!

The year that I was the wicked witch from snow white (after she turned into the old hag) lots of kids wouldn't come to the door. One little girl BACKED DOWN the stairs of the porch, never taking her eyes off of me. Her dad had to come up and get her candy, she wasn't coming anywhere near me!!
Draco Dormiens Nunquam Titillandus

Larissa
Master Reaper

Post by Larissa » Thu Aug 30, 2007 9:20 pm

Now that REALLY has me laughing out loud!
Act well your part; there all the honour lies.
~Anonymous

AutumnGypsy7
Vampire

trick or treating

Post by AutumnGypsy7 » Sun Sep 02, 2007 12:51 am

The main reason I don't get many trick or treaters is because of where I live. I live next to a cemetery and the sidewalk ends two houses down from my house. I probably get between twenty and thirty trick or treaters. We turn on all of the outdoor lights to try to get people to come.
I'll bet living in a nudist colony takes all the fun out of Halloween. -Charles Swartz

mandy0221
Halloween Master

Post by mandy0221 » Thu Sep 06, 2007 12:43 am

AG - what a neat place to live!!! I think it would creep me out a little bit but be fun at the same time.
"Drink up me 'earties Yo Ho. Yo Ho Yo Ho a pirates life for me!"

pum'kinpye
Master Reaper

Post by pum'kinpye » Thu Sep 06, 2007 6:22 am

We live next door to a cemetary too but we're mid way of the road. The kids go over sometimes to clean up around the graves for fun! It's small.