Summerween?

SummerForums.com is a great place to discuss Everything Summer!
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Summerween?

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Jul 12, 2023 7:36 pm

I'd never heard of Summerween before my daughter mentioned it to me this afternoon. She's following some book talk people on line who have proposed reading thrillers in July and calling it Summerween.

So I went on line, and I discovered this may have its roots in a Disney Channel show called Gravity Falls, Oregon, in which the characters carve watermelons like pumpkins and celebrate Halloween at the height of summer. They do this in late June. And apparently it's catching on a bit around the country. There was some kind of celebration of it in Austin, TX, this year, as well as Chattanooga, TN, just down the road from me.

So have you all heard about this? And what do you think of the idea?

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Re: Summerween?

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Thu Jul 13, 2023 12:35 pm

This is the first time that I've heard about this, but it might explain why Disney is releasing their new Haunted Mansion movie this month, it looks like it's going to be a fun movie, and we will be going to the theater to watch it.

I like the idea of Summerween, I'll ask my kids if it's something they would be interested in, the more Halloween we have, the better.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Jul 13, 2023 4:11 pm

I wonder what the new Haunted Mansion will be like? We have the one from 20 yrs ago on DVD and enjoy it.

It's a fun idea to carve watermelons like pumpkins, and of course summer camps are well known for ghost stories around the campfire. Summer has always had its share of scary movies, too. So I guess Summerween isn't too much of a stretch.

Personally I like to enjoy each season, and I'm not ready to let go of summer just yet. I still want to experiment with luscious summer fruit recipes, grilling and smoking meats, swimming. I love the autumnal aspect of Halloween, and I want to keep it in the fall. But if Summerween works for you, go for it!

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Fri Jul 14, 2023 12:36 am

We liked the original Haunted Mansion movie and we still watch it every year, but the Muppets Haunted Mansion they made a few years ago wasn't that good. It had a few funny moments but that's it. The new movie looks good from what I've seen, so I'm looking forward to it.

When we were kids at summer camp, the Friday the 13th movies were at the height of their popularity, and the adults would let us watch them on VHS and as you could imagine, we were terrified that someone was going show up and try to kill us when we were there, and the camp counselors knew we were scared so one of them would always dress up as Jason just to mess with us.

I agree that each holiday should be celebrated during their respective season, as that's what makes them special, but when it comes to Halloween I just can't say no to more Halloween fun, regardless of what time of year it is. I guess that's why when Mike told us about Little Halloween I was glad to introduce it to my kids, and they loved it.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jul 14, 2023 10:35 am

Oh, I like Mike's idea of Little Halloween, too. :)

I'm pretty sure that if I lived in Australia or New Zealand, I'd be celebrating Halloween on Walpurgisnacht.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Jul 21, 2023 4:46 am

It's always Halloween.

As Shakespeare wrote, all the world's a stage...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Jul 21, 2023 8:27 am

:lol: