Stranger Things

For all your spooky, ghosty, haunted and otherwise Halloween-y television show discussions!
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Stranger Things

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 20, 2023 1:56 pm

I'm surprised no one has posted anything about Stranger Things on here.
This series is pretty popular too! There's a lot of really creepy things that go on, from monsters from another dimension to horrific experimentations all going on in the little town of Hawkins.
The story follows a young group of boys and the first season begins when one of their best friends suddenly disappears. You find out he was taken to the "Upside Down," which is a darker, more sinister version of their reality.
There's plenty of creepy craziness in the series, mixed with a bit of science fiction. There's plenty of suspense as well and great characters.
My favorite character is El and I quite enjoy her interactions with Officer Hopper. :)
This series is chalk FULL of 1980's references and call backs, and one of the main villains has a nightmarish Freddy Krueger like vibe.
If you're a fan of 1980's horror, sci fi or even just a fan of the 80's, you'll like this series. It's also a great series for Halloween and horror fans. It's on Netflix. Check it out. :)
Oh, did I mention Winona Ryder from Beetlejuice is in it?
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Stranger Things

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:16 pm

My husband and I don't subscribe to streaming services, so I see this stuff only when I visit my older son in Ohio. But I have watched the first season of Stranger Things up there and would eagerly watch the subsequent ones. I wish Netflix would release more stuff on DVD, but that doesn't seem to be their model. Last year I watched the miniseries Midnight Mass at my son's. I Ioved it and would buy it in a heartbeat if I could.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:26 pm

It looks like you can get it on DVD at least seasons 1-3, it might not be at Walmart but I would check places like Amazon. Although it might cost a good bit to get it.
Netflix is something I'll subscribe to for a while, then cancel it when there's nothing on. When I hear of a good series though that I have to see, I might subscribe long enough to watch it then unsubscribe again. At least you aren't under contract.
If I DO happen to see it at Walmart I'll let you know. Typically, you can find some of the merch though. My boyfriend got me a figurine of Hopper which was really cool, and I found myself a "Hellfire club" shirt.
I'd love to get a HUGE Demogorgon for my haunt, but I know it would be expensive and we don't get that many trick or treaters here ANYWAY so...XD
They also make a line of frozen pizzas. They're decent, I think the multi-meat one is the best.
In any case, it's a really good series. I hope you get a chance to watch the subsequent seasons. Season 5 will sadly be the last season, but we were introduced to it last year when my mom and step dad put it on for us. I was going to eventually subscribe to Netflix anyway to watch the new Sonic Prime cartoon. XD
What's Midnight Mass about?
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:31 pm

Midnight Mass is about a young priest who arrives at an island community and starts reviving everyone's spirits, solving their health problems, etc, but he has a very dark secret. Ultimately it is a show that uses the horror genre as a meditation on mortality. Oh, and it's set during Lent and ends on Easter weekend, so, somewhat unorthodox, but very thought-provoking.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Mon Aug 21, 2023 12:34 am

I've been watching this show since day one, and it's absolutely awesome! It has the right levels of horror and humor, and I appreciate that they put this much effort into the nostalgic references, as I was a kid of the 80s and this show hits the right buttons. I can't wait until we get the final season.

Man, I sure could go for a Surfer Boy Pizza right about now.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:23 am

I watched the pilot episode of Stranger Things with great expectation but it didn't click with me.

If it did click with you though, I recommend an anthology series called 'Tales From The Loop' which you can find on Amazon Prime.

It's based on the artwork of Simon Stålenhag.

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/tv/tales ... e_loop/s01

It's moody, creepy, thoughtful...if you don't like it I'll eat my hat.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 22, 2023 10:34 am

I'll ask my kids if they've got it!

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Aug 22, 2023 9:44 pm

If you have not looked at his paintings you should.

He is a master of atmospheric mood.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 23, 2023 9:05 am

Oh, I just googled some of his art. Intriguing! So he's a graphic novelist, I gather?

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Aug 23, 2023 11:41 pm

Yes he is.

The art is far more impactful than the stories though.

A picture is worth a thousand words.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Aug 24, 2023 10:03 am

Right. He could give an ambitious yard-haunter some inspiration!

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Aug 24, 2023 6:39 pm

I'll have to check out that series sometime.
And no worries if Stranger Things isn't your thing. Everyone likes different things.
I am pretty excited for the final season though.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:06 pm

Murfreesboro wrote: Sun Aug 20, 2023 4:16 pm I wish Netflix would release more stuff on DVD, but that doesn't seem to be their model.
Yeah. Netflix's DVD (and blu-ray) service comes to an end next month. I actually still subscribe to it! Is one of the ways I filled my Plex up.

Also, with the latest moves by Disney, we may be seeing the end of DVDs and blu-rays period.
https://www.msn.com/en-us/movies/news/d ... r-AA1fsSc0

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:32 pm

I deplore the loss of physical media. Once everything is electronic, you're just at the mercy of what somebody else chooses to show you.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:46 pm

Serious! One of the discords I belong to, we watch a lot of old horror movies, folks decry the fact some of our favorite movies and shows can not be seen anywhere. Not available on disk, not available streaming. Sometimes you just have to sail the high seas.

Edit:
Murfreesboro wrote: Fri Aug 25, 2023 7:32 pm I deplore the loss of physical media. Once everything is electronic, you're just at the mercy of what somebody else chooses to show you.
Like cable?