Glow in the dark books from the early 90's.

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MauEvig
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Glow in the dark books from the early 90's.

Post by MauEvig » Mon Sep 04, 2023 8:12 pm

Anyone remember those "Glow in the dark" illustrated children's books from the early '90's? I used to love those, but I have no idea where you'd even find them, besides maybe eBay or if you're lucky, a thrift store like Good Will or Salvation Army.
I used to think they were really cool.
I ALMOST think "A Very Scary Witch" might have been one of the books, but I can't remember. I'd have to see the pages opened up inside to recognize it because it's been so long. Some of these books are worth around $30 online, so if I happen to find one at a yardsale or thrift store I am gonna snag it up.
Anyone have any favorite children's Halloween books growing up? Did they glow in the dark?
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Glow in the dark books from the early 90's.

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:46 pm

I don't actually recall glow in the dark kids books, and you'd think I would, since I had young ones in the 90s.

I do recall glow in the dark t shirts. My older boy had one with fireflies that was so cute.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Sep 04, 2023 9:54 pm

Glow in the dark tee shirts are fun too. If you're lucky, you can find some cute Halloween ones.
Fire flies sound cute too though. :)
I also like the glow in the dark stars and planets, and stuff that glows with a black light. I don't know why I'm so fascinated by it. I have glow in the dark craft paint too...and I really need to get back into crafts and things of that nature.
It might just depend on what bookstores you went to. The particular books I'm thinking of might have been in those famous (or infamous arguably) book fairs at the school. (I say infamous because Scholastic tends to have the monopoly on children's books. It's sad, there's plenty of other great publications out there.)
I got to go to one last semester at work and I immediately felt like I was a five year old kid again. :lol: I wanted to buy everything, but I did buy a Sonic comic, a gamer book for my boyfriend and two game controller pens, one for me and one for him. :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Sep 05, 2023 6:58 am

We didn't have book fairs when I was I school, but my kids sure had them. I used to enjoy those, too.

I remember the glowing stars and planets. I bought a package of those and stuck them all over my boys' ceiling when they were little.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Thu Sep 07, 2023 7:47 am

Book fairs are a lot of fun to be sure, but they're expensive. Still going to one last semester was a huge treat and felt like a huge blast from the past and nostalgic to me. I miss those book fairs.
Although as an adult I can't help but feel slightly jaded at the idea that Scholastic gets the monopoly on children's books. As someone who's trying to get a break into the writing industry (My book officially went into editing a couple months ago after spending around 10 years working on it...and let me tell you editing is no picnic...it's a lot of work...) it's disheartening that the big names are so exclusive about who gets in and who doesn't. If you aren't a known author, Scholastic doesn't even bat an eye at you. And very likely, I'll turn to a self-publishing company like lulu anyway and just have to self promote as much as possible. I'm trying to support more indie stuff though, because a lot of times there's overlooked talent and great ideas for stories, games and the like that people miss. There is an advantage to this though, if I self publish I get to keep all the rights to the characters in the story. If I do go to a big name publisher, I have to sign those rights over. I don't really like the idea of that honestly. As much as I'd like to become the next big "Harry Potter" so to speak, I almost rather have a small cult following instead than have someone else having exclusive rights to the characters. Or just not get attached to the characters I make. :lol:
Oh and I still buy books from Scholastic because there's a lot of really good books out there, but I think other publishing companies should be given a chance, along with indie authors.

Your son must have had a pretty cool bedroom. I always liked those stars and planets and when I finally got moved out of my parents, I got some glowing stars for myself. :lol:
Nocturnal Purr-Fection