Solstice is over! You know what that means?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Solstice is over! You know what that means?

Post by NeverMore » Sat Sep 23, 2023 1:18 am

Sam Fall.jpg
Sam Fall.jpg (67.66 KiB) Viewed 3035 times
Let's get spooky!!!!!

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Solstice is over! You know what that means?

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:10 am

It's almost Christmas?
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

TheHeadlessHorseman
Haunt Master

Post by TheHeadlessHorseman » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:36 am

960x0.jpg
960x0.jpg (102.4 KiB) Viewed 3027 times

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Sep 23, 2023 12:47 pm

Cheers to the Autumn Equinox! Happy Fall Y'all! :)
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Sep 23, 2023 9:35 pm

Happy fall indeed! We had a gorgeous fall day, but the minute I stepped outside this am, I could tell the light was autumnal. Something about it was a little softer than summer light.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sun Sep 24, 2023 11:49 am

It's been rainy here, so I didn't really notice much of a difference. The past few days have been cooling down though, and leaves are slowly changing colors.
Hopefully by our favorite month they'll be a nice variety of reds, oranges and yellows. Although sometimes it's over saturated with yellow, I kind of prefer when there's a nice variety of colors. But I think red is my favorite of the autumn colors for some reason, it's just so bright and vibrant. :) It makes me smile!

It's also the season of PUMPKIN SPICE! WOOO! And McDonald's iced pumpkin spice coffee is amazing! Y'all should try it.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Sep 24, 2023 2:33 pm

Autumn in the Shenandoah Valley spoiled me. So beautiful up there!

I've heard that Appalachia has the greatest variety of fall color. New England has great stands of trees of one color, which is impressive in a different way.

Our color typically peaks in mid to late October, though it can vary a lot from year to year. I've known it to peak in November. This year we think we are seeing signs of an early fall.

I think my favorite leaf color is flame, but I love them all. Some turn deep burgandy, and that is gorgeous, too.

Six or seven yrs ago PBS had a three part series on autumn in New England. I believe it was uploaded to YouTube. The host was an Englishman who said he wanted to do it because fall is a bigger deal in America than it is in his homeland.

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:44 pm

Andybev01 wrote: Sat Sep 23, 2023 5:10 am It's almost Christmas?
The stores would have you think so. :(

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Sat Sep 30, 2023 10:10 am

Well, as much as I get excited to see Halloween stuff in July, it ALSO means seeing the Christmas stuff sooner too. I don't know about y'all, but I wish they didn't put holiday stuff out so early.

On a happier note, Murf is definitely right that fall is pretty in my area. The leaves are starting to turn and every day I see more and more colors in the foliage.

It might be that Appalachian mountains has the greatest variety, but I feel like my little area of New York, humble as it was, had a nice variety of color as well. But you are right, New England and the Mid South have their own unique brands of beauty.

I like the orange colors as well, I think my favorite is red then orange then yellow, but I really like them all and I like how it illuminates the outdoors. I feel like things light up, but it could be because of the warm color hues, as green during the summer and late spring is more of a cool color. But since it's warm out, I guess that makes sense.

I'd love to see some deep burgandy leaves! I love the color purple after all. :)

Yes it very much does peak around mid to late October. :) Maybe I'll post some pictures around that time so y'all can see it, and Murf can get a taste of nostalgia.

I didn't realize fall wasn't as big a deal in England, but I imagine there are a few English individuals who favor fall. I wonder how beautiful the fall leaves are in England in the English countryside though, that has to be a sight to see!
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sat Sep 30, 2023 2:12 pm

To be fair, I think fall has increased in popularity during my lifetime. Our niece had a gorgeous Nov wedding in Alabama in 2016. Most beautiful wedding I've ever seen, and she really went all in on the autumnal theme. My own wedding anniversary is Oct 24, so I could have done that too, but I didn't. We picked that weekend because it was the one my husband had free between some Advanced Officer course he was taking and reporting for active duty. And I think I wasn't considering autumnal themes because the broader culture wasn't just going crazy for fall the way most people do now.