Now watching...

For all your spooky, ghosty, haunted and otherwise Halloween-y television show discussions!
NeverMore
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Now watching...

Post by NeverMore » Sat Sep 23, 2023 11:52 pm

Figured it made more sense to start a general topic about what we are currently watching instead of starting a new topic every two hours?

I'm a big horror host fan. Especially when it's a free watch! Just finishing Svengoolie, which I actually pay for so I can watch the east coast feed.I also pay the extra buck for the online DVR, which is why I'm a bit late finishing it. Tonight's movie was 'The Return of the Vampire' from 1943 with Bela!

As soon as this is over, only 10 more minutes! I'll watch this week's Creature Features selection. Tonight's movie is 'Creature with The Atom Brain' (1955). This Creature Features series is a continuation of the famous show from the San Francisco area originally hosted by Bob Wilkins in the seventies, then succeeded by John Stanley and now Vincent, Tangella and Livingston. They are so much fun! You may catch me in YouTube chat during the live showing. Look for Snake Charmer.

Earlier I watched 'Tales of Frankenstein' (2018) on Count Gore de Vol's show. He usually shows a new movie every other week and this is the second week for this one so hurry up and watch it if you like old style monster movies. It wasn't a bad movie. One of the best I've seen him show. They are usually old public domain movies. Can't believe The Count has been hosting horror movies for 50 years! The Last 25 on the internet. I loved it when he got his Silver Bolo Award from Joe Bob Briggs. He was so proud of that.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: Now watching...

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Sep 24, 2023 7:56 am

Oh, I missed this post last night! That sounds like fun. One of our stations does broadcast Svengoolie, and we watch him when it's coming in (which, alas, isn't very often with the HiDef broadcasts).

We bought several of those boxed sets of old horror movies Walmart was selling several years ago. You know, there was one with the Dracula films, one with Frankenstein, The Mummy, Invisible Man, Creature of the Black Lagoon, etc. Each set has the original movie and all its sequels, plus the Abbott & Costello spoofs if they exist. I've really enjoyed going back to the source of those iconic cinematic monsters. Some of those movies are quite good, and knowing them enriches my enjoyment of more recent films (like the 90s Mummy, or Tim Burton films) because they often include homages to them, Eater eggs, what-not.

This morning we are watching The Haunted History of Halloween, a History Channel documentary we have on DVD.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 pm

O, I love that documentary!

The History Channel was so good until, as so many others have, downgraded to showing absolute garbage.

Is the populace really clamoring for shows about parking problems, or groups of young, attractive people debasing themselves under the guise of dating or matrimony?

As was sung in times long passed; I WANT MY Mtv!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:40 pm

:lol:

We don't have cable, so I have no clue what those channels are showing today. Whenever my husband or I get a notion, we look up DVDs on line.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 1:31 am

You're not missing a thing.
Attachments
img_0134.png
img_0134.png (709.42 KiB) Viewed 4872 times

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 25, 2023 7:09 am

Omg, how smart and funny is that! So much truth to unpack! And, yes, I csn recognize myself in it, too.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Sep 25, 2023 8:32 am

My favorite of all time is one showing Calvin coming home from school.

He's running down the front hallway, dropping school items everywhere and shedding his coat and shoes while shouting "I'M HOME!".

The last panel shows his mother, her arms laden with all of Calvin's cast-offs and replying "...so I gathered."

Simple and eloquent.

Bill Watterson is a genius.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Sep 25, 2023 6:13 pm

Did you ever read Bloom County? My husband used to love that one.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Tue Sep 26, 2023 4:18 am

Opus, Bill the cat... yes.

'A Wish For Wings That Work' is one of my favorite Christmas specials.

If you ever come across the documentary 'Dear Mr. Watterson' about Calvin and Hobbes creator Bill Watterson, I highly recommend watching it.

https://www.dearmrwatterson.com/

He never authorized any merchandise or made movies or TV of the strip, even going as far as turning down offers from Steven Spielberg.

He doesn't do interviews or make public appearances but he will sign Calvin books secretly, in libraries and book stores, without telling anyone that works in them.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Sep 26, 2023 6:54 am

How interesting that he was determined to turn down all that money! Eschewing celebrity is something I do understand, though.

I used to like one called Frank and Earnest. It wasn't profound, but it could be very funny. And of course BC. The Far Side was funny, but I think it was less a strip than stand-alone cartoons.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Wed Sep 27, 2023 11:37 pm

Frank & Earnest are still around and still funny.

The first far side that I ever saw was the boneless chicken ranch.

I was 12 and couldn't stop laughing!

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Sep 28, 2023 6:57 am

I remember one that showed some ferocious animals, maybe polar bears? around a broken igloo. The caption: "Crunchy on the outside, soft on the inside."

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Fri Sep 29, 2023 11:30 pm

Andybev01 wrote: Sun Sep 24, 2023 9:10 pm The History Channel was so good until, as so many others have, downgraded to showing absolute garbage.
October 7th, starting at 4am east coast/7am west coast, Travel channel is showing a bunch of those Halloween shows all day. All 3 Halloween Crazys, the last 2 'America's Halloween Attractions', and a bunch of 'Most Terrifying Places in America'. In hi-def! I finally get to record them and replace the crappy versions I got in the mid-2000s!

I'm currently watching 'Night of the Demons' (1988) yet again. This time with Vincent and Tangella. Just watched it two weeks ago with Joe Bob and Darcy.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Sep 30, 2023 12:42 am

Thanks.

I think TVL is part of one of the stremers that I subscribe to.