November 11 (Veterans Day/Martinmas/Old Halloween

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Murfreesboro
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

November 11 (Veterans Day/Martinmas/Old Halloween

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Nov 08, 2023 8:02 am

Has any of you heard of the ancient connections of Nov 11?

My daughter was exploring this topic yesterday and informed me that Nov 11, which we observe as Veterans Day, has an older significance. In previous centuries it was called St Martin's Day (Martinmas), and in many places it incorporated customs we associate with Halloween, like bonfires and mumming (sort of an early form of ToTing). At one time it was even called "Old Halloween." She thought that was because of the early 18th century calendar change, when eleven days were added to the calendar to bring it more in sync with the solar year. I don't know if that's the case. But apparently in many places, especially on the European continent, people thought of this date as the end of harvest and beginning of winter, much as the people in the British Isles regarded Samhain, and many of the same customs accrued.

I found this quite interesting. Apparently St Martin is associated with geese, so eating a goose was a common practice. Centuries ago, the church even imposed a 40-day fast, from St Martin's Day through Epiphany (Jan 6), to parallel the Lenten fast. But that was shortened to Advent (the four weeks preceding Christmas) later in the medieval period, as celebrating Christmas became more popular.

Anyway, I thought it was fascinating that Nov 11 was once known as "Old Halloween."

Maybe this should be moved to the "other holidays" forum. Please feel free to do that.

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: November 11 (Veterans Day/Martinmas/Old Halloween

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Nov 09, 2023 1:38 am

Oooo...I love learning new things related to old customs!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Nov 09, 2023 6:07 am

So do I, and I figured many of our friends on this forum might also find it interesting.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Fri Nov 10, 2023 12:30 pm

Never knew that about Veteran's day. I think that's really interesting. Like many of you I enjoy learning about old cultural traditions.
I also like learning about cultural traditions from other countries. It's nice seeing how these things have evolved.
And living in America, I enjoy how the different traditions blend together over the millenia.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Nov 10, 2023 5:14 pm

Yeah, there's more than one St Martin, but this one is St Martin of Tours. He lived In the 4th century and is the patron St of beggars and outcasts. There's a story that he tore his cloak in half to share it with a freezing beggar.