Something to Ponder

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Something to Ponder

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 24, 2009 9:17 am

With all this talk about "District 9," I thought I would pose a question. The same question was posed by both "Alien Nation" a few years ago, and by "District 9" today.

Let's say that an alien space craft were to crash land on earth. The aliens on board survived, but have no way of getting back to their home planet. Our technology is not advanced enough, and their technology was too far out of our league for us to replicate. They carry no deseases that can affect human beings, but like the aliens in the tv show "Alien Nation," they only take 3 months to give birth to their babies, they're 20% stronger then us and at least 15 % smarter then us on average.

How do you think the general public would feel about haveing them living amongst us permanantly? Do you think there would be serious bigotry against? I bet there would be some very major problems, since we have trouble getting along with our fellow humans. What other ramifications could you think of?

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Something to Ponder

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:00 pm

to tell you the honest truth if i was in charge i would try and communicate as best as possible that we are going to "control" their population count. which means they only breed when we say to. we would also communicate that its for our protection. i mean, with traveling through space and all they'd have to understand lol if they don't comply, then exterminate. i'm sorry, this is my planet and my life and i only care for OUR well being. but if they were willing to work with us, we could study each other. but i'm sure at some point they'd HAVE ENOUGH and do as they probably do in the movie (which i haven't seen by the way) i don't know.. just a quick thought while i'm bored here at work
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:15 pm

I think human history should provide you with an answer to that. The native Indians weren't quite the barbarians we were taught they were. They actually had an advanced culture, but they were in the way of American progress. I think the Germans also showed us what humans are capable of when they don't like someone. These are just recent examples.

• [list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list][list]Image
[/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list][/list]

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:23 pm

but all in all bc of that history is why we're here today... i think the same breed is a little different than something from light years away with rabbit type breeding capabilities, superior strength and knowledge hahaha things could really get out of hand lol and as far as the Germans go.. they knew what the Jews and stuff were about.. it was more of a "i don't like you" kind of thing

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:46 pm

Human History, especialy the 20th Century is chucked full of examples of man's inhumanity to man. I'm sure that there would be major fear on the part of a lot of people, and many would act on that fear, which would also breed prejudice.

I hate to admit it, but I don't really know how I, personaly would react to such a situation. I, too, am of the opinion that this is our planet and humans are first, but I would not want to openly persecute another life form simply because they got unlucky. "Alien Nation" sort of wrestled with the question.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Aug 24, 2009 4:49 pm

yea i agree. i'd say it "give em the ole chance" and the moment they start becoming hostile, start cutting their numbers down until they "chill" again. if at anytime they become too aggressive.... get rid of them.. i'm just so curious of a person i'd HATE to see them go. but if they we're hostile in any way i'd LOVE to have them here.. totally under our controle though for our safety.. but keep them pleasant and comfortable :)

MyersFan1
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MyersFan1 » Mon Aug 24, 2009 5:31 pm

Human beings are naturally a pretty savage race when it comes right down to it. I believe if we felt threatened by the aliens then by nature we would try to drive them out instead of being 100% friendly. However if we had some type of advantage over them and felt that we could possibly control them, then maybe we would let them live among us just like District 9 and learn from them. If they did live here i think we would be extremely racist towards them. If a human can discriminate because of skin color, imagine what it would be like with an entirely different RACE. It is also natural for humans for to be on top of the food chain, and to be the dominate living force on Earth. If a stronger, more advanced organism came to Earth who knows how we would react to that. I do believe that District 9 did a good job of accurately portraying what it would be like if that situation was to occur.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:48 pm

Both "District 9" and "Alien Nation" were both very good renditions of that situation.

I think there would be laws restricting where they could live and what jobs they could have at first, but like so many other opressed minorities, they would rise up against the prejudice. But there would be a lot of struggle between the humans and the aliens.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

yes.. and its not like skin color with that situation either. they're smarter, quicker, stronger, and breed quicker. if any rise were to take effect, i'd have to side with the "human's first" side of things honestly.. haha either that or join them lol who knows. maybe they'd make our planet a better place

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:51 pm

yes.. and its not like skin color with that situation either. they're smarter, quicker, stronger, and breed quicker. if any rise were to take effect, i'd have to side with the "human's first" side of things honestly.. haha either that or join them lol who knows. maybe they'd make our planet a better place

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:57 pm

There's no doubt, that if they were more advanced and better evolved, they would also likely have a longer life span. I would probably feel threatened by that, too. I woldnot want to feel that way, but in all honesty, it would probably be a fear of mine.

On the other hand, they might be able to make us smarter, stronger, and more advanced through their technology.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Aug 25, 2009 4:59 pm

see thats what i would want from them. to learn and to advance as they had. if they could teach us to use our bodies to their full potential, it would reshape humans like nothing ever has! it would be so wild haha

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Aug 26, 2009 2:13 pm

Maybe they could teach us some of their technologies, and we could at some point, learn to build star ships like the one they arrived in.

Mike

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Wed Aug 26, 2009 3:42 pm

hahaha we'd have to if they wanted to go home lol

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Aug 26, 2009 7:37 pm

There y ou go. We can help them, give them temporary refuge, and with their help, build them a ship so they can go home. Maybe we can travel to their home planet, open an embasy and have trade between the two planets. Just imagine an imported car from anothe planet.

Mike