Halloween Cults

Discussion of general Halloween topics

Do you believe these cults are givings Halloween followers a bad name?

Yes
42%
No
58%

Total votes: 12

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Re: Halloween Cults

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:21 pm

I don't think anyone even pays that much attention to them. My niece is into wicca, and she usualy does something special on Halloween Night.

Oh, and while Halloween may be rooted in Peagan rituals, many Christians celebrate All Hallows Eve as the day before All Saints Day and All Souls Day. I consider it a 'holy day' for entirely different reasons then do Peagans or Wiccans.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by iHaunt » Sat Aug 29, 2009 11:27 pm

I don't join any Halloween cults, neither am I, the Halloween cult follower... I only believe that Halloween holiday is great and fun for all of age from kids to adults.

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Aug 30, 2009 12:45 am

Any and all cults are evil and should be avoided. I'm saying this plain and simple. These cults are dangerous, and once you get in, they grip ahold of you like thorns and make it near impossible to escape.
I don't believe in sacrificing of animals to some strange gods that could be demon spirits.
I see no harm in celebrating halloween, as long as you don't turn it into something that invites evil like this.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Sun Aug 30, 2009 11:32 am

there is so much stuff out there. Its hard to filter it all. I am not a part of anything and neither is anyone I know. Just do what you normally do on halloween and let nature take its course. There will always be stuff out there that no one agree with.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Samhain
Master Reaper

Post by Samhain » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:20 pm

I don't find the Wiccans to be a paticularly objectionable group of people.
Legitimate ones seem to be more concerned with celebrating nature than anything. Of course, there are goofy people out there who do all kinds of weird stuff on Halloween. They are in the minority, though.
Let's face it, some religious groups will never accept Halloween.
That's their problem.
HAPPY HALLOWEEN...

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:21 pm

I don't really know of any Halloween cults. especially around here. i just decorate and have fun :)
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

wh2205
Crypt Keeper

Post by wh2205 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 4:52 pm

i dont think halloween is affected by these cults. i also dont think to much of the church's trying to stop halloween from being celebrated. its a shame people cant just enjoy the holiday

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Sun Aug 30, 2009 5:21 pm

DemonSlayer, Halloween has nothing to do with cults, or the sacrofice of animals. Besides that, the most dangerous cults are unfortunately based in Chrsitianity, and have an all out ban on the celebration of Halloween. I'm not going to name any in particular because I don't want to offend anyone, and I also don't want to turn this into a religious debate. Sufice it to say, that Halloween is actualy considered a holy day by many Christians, and especialy Catholics.

Mike

ElMuertoMan17
Master Reaper

Post by ElMuertoMan17 » Sun Aug 30, 2009 8:45 pm

I don't think anyone really cares about those cults anymore, and I think they have diminished. I haven't heard of anything like that in a long time.
La bruja, la bruja
se quedó encerrada
en una burbuja.
La bruja, la boba
con escoba y todo
con todo y escoba.

hippieluvn
Halloween Master

Post by hippieluvn » Sun Aug 30, 2009 10:24 pm

i am a proud, halloween-loving, born again pagan-catholic and freethinker/humanist... i'm also a good person, too :D

“The world is my country, all mankind are my brethren, and to do good is my religion.”
~Thomas Paine
“You need not think alike to love alike.”
~Francis David

WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper

Post by WitchyMama » Mon Aug 31, 2009 11:21 am

When I hear cult I don't think of Wicca, witches, and the rituals we perform on Samhain. i think of idiots who go out and purposely make us pagans look bad who aren't even pagan.

And let me clarify, todays Witches and rituals do not include any sort of animal sacrifice. I would never and could never be a part of something where we killed an animal. The stories that come out now about such things occuring tend to be teenagers who don't know what the hell they are doing and want to create a fuss. It is true that in ancient times pagans did do animal sacrifice, that is a historical fact that cannot be ignored. However, people need to know that it doesn't occur anymore. And let me correct myself and mention that Santeria does still do animal sacrifice but honestly, I don't know any Santerians here. I think Santerians tend to be further south.

Many people don't realize how many pagans are actually in their town. We haven't diminished, we just don't feel a need to advertise what we are doing to non-pagans. We like to be left alone. Every year, we have this one pastor who gathers about 40 cohorts to come protest our rituals and he tries really hard to interrupt what we are doing. Quite silly if you ask me, we don't show up at churches protesting a service...why bother people who don't bother you?

Anyway, my point is. Don't assume that all Wiccans & Witches are out doing these horrible things. It's usually a poser.

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Rising Dead Man » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:14 pm

Is this paster one of those "God hates fags" guys?
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 31, 2009 3:31 pm

WitchyMama, the vast majority, if not all cults, are based in Christianity, and not Peaganism. At least I don't know of any cults based in Wicca or Peaganism. As a Catholic I can tell you that I bare no malice what so ever against any other religion, be it Jewish, Islam, or Peagan. My niece is into Wicca, as are a lot of the students in the college where I work.

All I ask is that you don't get offended if I happen to use the expression "Merry Christmas" or "Happy Easter." Those Christian are a part of my tradition and culture, and I mean no disrespect of your culture by using them. I don't go along with 'political correctness,' but that does not mean that I can't see your right to be Peagan or Wiccan.

Mike

WitchyMama
Crypt Keeper

Post by WitchyMama » Tue Sep 01, 2009 9:07 am

He isn't with WBC (they are notorius for "God hates fags") but he is a Southern Baptist and in my area they tend to be the most vocal about condemning people to hell.

I NEVER take offense to anyone wishing me Merry Christmas or Happy Easter! I take it as a compliment. I find the whole arguing over who "owns" the holiday and who has the "right" to celebrate it quite silly. Both seasons are supposed to be expressed with love in our hearts regardless of what the actual holiday is we are celebrating, doesn't set a good example when people start yelling "OMG they actually said Merry Christmas to me!! HOW DARE THEY!" Kinda takes away from the fun....and then what about the kids? My 9 yo once asked me "why do adults try to tell kids what to do and how to behave when they don't do it themselves?". She asked me that after seeing a news report of someone being offended about a christmas tree in an airport. It's really sad that we have gotten so PC.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Sep 01, 2009 3:32 pm

The actual definition of "cult" has been tainted over the years... it actually means any group of people who are unified in a system of beliefs-- you could have a cult about Baseball or something... and technically ANY church is a cult. Saying "All cults are bad" is like saying "All blondes are dumb"... When the reality is that bad cults are bad and good cults are good. I only mention this because of the History Channel's special on Cults, which included one, specific organized religion but not others.

The word "cult" has lately been attached to groups like "The Family"... or the "Manson Family"... or that one guy who made people drink the "magic punch" (I forget his name). It has a negative stigma associated with the word... really it's not a bad word-- people have just associated it with negative things.

So... be careful when you use the word "cult".