Does Halloween Mark the Beginning of the Holidays?

Discussion of general Halloween topics

Yes! Definitely!
77%
No way!
15%
Eh...maybe.
8%

Total votes: 13

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:35 pm

Some people think Thanksgiving marks the beginning of the Holidays. I don't think my grandmother is too happy about the idea of it...but I really think Halloween is the beginning of the Holidays. For me Halloween leads into Christmas. Two opposing Holidays yet...to me they're linked somehow. Call me nuts but yeah...that's just how I view it.
Halloween to me is the beginning of a long celebration of holidays, with Halloween being the first of those. A night of ghosts and ghouls and that one last "hurrah" as someone on here put it once before you have to be good for Christmas.
So for me the holidays are Halloween, Thanksgiving, Christmas, and New Year's. Then later you have more holidays like Valentine's and St Patty's and then Easter being the last major holiday for the year.
Besides that, when people say the "Holidays" they usually mean Christmas. Shoot...I think people need to learn to just say "Merry Christmas" and "Christmas is over" instead of "The Holidays are over" because far as I'm concerned, if New Years hasn't come yet, the Holidays are still around. However, from this perspective Halloween is part of the Holidays....and they have just begun! (I also like to think of New Year's as Christmas part II...but that's just me.)
Last edited by DemonSlayerMau on Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

adrian
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: Does Halloween Mark the Beginning of the Holidays?

Post by adrian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:36 pm

i vote halloween DOES mark the beggining.. when October gets here I can feel the holiday spirit just swarm all over me
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:46 pm

No way! I'm not a big fan of that other holiday as it is, but getting bombarded with
commercials and holiday cheer for 3 months is just way too much. Next year we're gonna
start seeing decorations in the stores in August. Combine that with the whole *Christmas
in July thing, it will be practically a year round thing. December will lose that magical
feeling. No, for me, the holiday season does not start until the day after Thanksgiving.

*I've dropped my ban on the use of the word this one time in order to try to get my point
across.

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 9:52 pm

hahaha for me halloween is a part of the holidays lol i look at all three: halloween, thanksgiving, and christmas as a long and very welcomed celebration... and it takes a while for something to get old to me lol i can do christmas for 3 months... just like i can do halloween year round.. but i also like the salt life year around.. i guess i just enjoy EVERYTHING all the time hahaha

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:29 pm

I wouldnt even celebrate Christmas if I didnt have a family, I do it for the wife and kids but if it were just me, I wouldnt celebrate it
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:35 pm

i like christmas... i guess it wouldn't be that much without a family though...

Corvus Kulde
Halloween Master

Post by Corvus Kulde » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:43 pm

Halloween begins the season. It's like the cool breeze that precedes the freezing blast of winter. For me Halloween begins the holiday season and the new year. Thanksgiving and Christmas are like the first big parties of the year.
Oh, your so cool, Brewster!
Hey, Butchy. They still got Oreo's next door?
Dracula's in the house!!! In the house?!
Welcome to the party, Honey!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Nov 08, 2009 10:55 pm

Well...even if I didn't have a family...I'd still have my friends. I could always celebrate with them ^^;
Ouch...some people just really hate Christmas on here. I suppose I can understand the bitterness though considering how much some people hate Halloween...and the over commercialization of the holiday to boot...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:01 pm

like i said.. i like the commercialization of christmas.. its kinda traditional

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Nov 08, 2009 11:20 pm

I don't really mind it...AFTER Halloween anyway. :lol:

Lone Haunter
Master Reaper

Post by Lone Haunter » Mon Nov 09, 2009 12:31 am

JMO, but Labor Day is when I mark the beginning of the Fall/Winter holiday season. Summer is nearing its end, and that extra day off from work gives an additional opportunity to work on Halloween props or actually start decorating.

writerpatrick
Master Reaper

Post by writerpatrick » Mon Nov 09, 2009 8:55 am

In Canada we celebrate Thanksgiving before Halloween, so there's a long stretch from Halloween until Christmas. Usually the start of December is the start of the Holiday season, even though retailers try to start it earlier.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:43 am

Oh, for me the holiday season definitely starts with Halloween and extends through Thanksgiving and Christmas, which I personally celebrate for twelve days, through Jan. 6 (Epiphany). I have certain "rules" about it. Like, Oct. is for Halloween, but then November is for Thanksgiving, and the Friday after Thanksgiving is the day to start decorating for Christmas. Already I have seen two houses around here put up their Christmas decorations, which I think is too soon (but we did have a gorgeous mild weekend, so I guess I can't blame people for taking advantage of the weather on a beautiful fall weekend--who knows what it will be like later?).

I do think Christmas is more fun when you have children or extended family with whom you can celebrate it, and I am grateful that I do have that in my life. But I think I would find ways to enjoy the season even if I were alone. I'd be attending Christmas concerts and parades, and I'd be buying angel gifts, which I think are maybe the most Christmassy part of the season. I just love holidays. I have always had a special love of Christmas, although, from a Christian perspective, Easter is actually more important.

I think there is something to celebrate in every month, actually. The summertime has patriotic holidays like the 4th of July, and to a lesser degree Memorial Day and Flag Day. I'm not aware of any particular holiday associated with August, but both my sons have August birthdays, so for us that is a birthday month. Otherwise, I guess it's mainly a wind-down of the summer, a chance to take a last trip to the water park or the beach.

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon Nov 09, 2009 10:54 am

NeverMore wrote:.
No way! I'm not a big fan of that other holiday as it is, but getting bombarded with
commercials and holiday cheer for 3 months is just way too much. Next year we're gonna
start seeing decorations in the stores in August. Combine that with the whole *Christmas
in July thing, it will be practically a year round thing. December will lose that magical
feeling. No, for me, the holiday season does not start until the day after Thanksgiving.

*I've dropped my ban on the use of the word this one time in order to try to get my point
across.
Stores here in NorCal had * decor on sale in August. You may be psychic.
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Mon Nov 09, 2009 11:00 am

UGH!! Way too early! :(
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."