On the job blues

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

On the job blues

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Jan 16, 2010 8:46 pm

Ever have a really bad day at work, or a bad week for that matter?
Well...this has been a bad week. It kind of makes me look forward to school more because I'll be spending (hopefully) less time at that stupid part-time job.
Well evidently I had a huge drawer shortage (I'm a cashier) of 99 Dollars. But instead of firing me like some employers would do, they make me pay it back. Every penny. The worst part is...it's not the first time something like this has happened. They made me pay back 50 bucks once.
It's gotten me really upset, to the point where I was going to quit but then my boss said quitting wouldn't do any good...I'd still have to pay it back! :evil: I would rather they just let me go, at least this way I can apply for unemployment.
There's no evidence of what caused the shortage or anything, no explanation whatsoever. Obviously I wouldn't pocket the money because that would be stupid (and illegal to boot). My boss was the one who relieved me for lunch, but I doubt she would take it. Why would she?
Then I found out something similar happened to a fellow co-worker. This is just plain insane.
There is a downside of course to quitting my job, and that's that I need the money to drive to school. The main campus of my school is an hour and a half drive away, there's more than one campus and I was going to the closer one, but evidently none of my classes are being offered there this semester. Some of my classes are online however. My newer car isn't as great on gas mileage as my old one was, although I feel a LOT safer driving my sable than I did my metro. While quitting might be better for my already bad work history, I would at least be able to draw unemployment if I was fired.
Anyway, I thought I would ask your input, and perhaps you can share your own bad work day experiences.
This probably seems crazy, crazy, a graveyard theory,
A ghost tried to approach me and got leery.
Ask him a question and he vanished in a second...

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Re: On the job blues

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 9:32 pm

you could count your drawer before break?
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:14 pm

There isn't time to count your drawer. You only get 15-20 minutes for lunch, they expect you to just jump from what you're doing and go.

~ From a Ghost's Pumpkin Soup (Pumpkin Hill zone theme Song from Sonic Adventure 2) ~

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Sat Jan 16, 2010 11:54 pm

Really suspicious. ..
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Sun Jan 17, 2010 11:45 am

It is suspicious. The thing is I work for a family owned business. But could the boss lady have taken the money out? That's the thing that puzzles me. It doesn't seem as though she would but that is one thing I was suspicious of. I know of a few people I wouldn't put it past either, but the thing is I don't want to play the blame game either.
And then there's the fact that the same thing happened to another co-worker. It makes you wonder.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Spookymufu » Sun Jan 17, 2010 1:26 pm

well....if it's happened before maybe you need to learn to count better?

really you only have two options since it's a mom and pop shop (no union) and thats either stay and deal with it and pay it back or quit, they'll take the money right out of your last pay check.

Having it happen twice is suspicious from the employers point of view as well, makes it look like you've developed a pattern.

You could have them check the security cameras but I suspect they didnt have any pointing at you on that particular day.

I guess you could threaten to sue them for falsely accusing you but that would cost more then 99 dollars......you could demand to see the proof of your theft or hear the evidence against you but again, mom and pop shop you dont really have anywhere to go for arbitration like you would a union shop

sometimes you CAN get unemployment when you quit but it's harder, I got it but I had to prove I was being harassed at work, good thing the manager was a dumb @ss and said all the wrong things to the arbitration judge :)
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Mon Jan 18, 2010 10:20 am

lol i have a bad day at work everyday.. i feel your pain
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

DemonSlayerMau
Halloween Master

Post by DemonSlayerMau » Mon Jan 18, 2010 8:08 pm

Well good news you guys! They actually found the missing 100 bucks! Evidently it was lodged deep in one of the drawers. From now on we have to make sure we check deep in those drawers to make sure all the money's there.
As for the other woman who had her drawer short...well evidently the next day they found another person was 100 dollars over!
Thanks to a coworker who thought of it who had been there 13 years. I thought she aughta be a detective.
I'm so relieved! Now I don't have to quit or pay it back! It's unlikely in life that there's a happy ending to all this, but finding that money is nothing short of a miracle!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:53 am

Congrats Mau!!
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

adrian
Halloween Master

Post by adrian » Tue Jan 19, 2010 9:05 pm

can i borrow a dollar?... its to invest into something really cool... i know it'll work... i just know it will
Last night 'twas witching Hallowe'en
Dearest; an apple russet- brown
I pared, and thrice above my crown
Whirled the long skin; they watched in keen;
I flung it far; they laughed and cried me shame
Dearest, there lay the letter of your name!

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Tue Jan 19, 2010 10:28 pm

Thats great news DemonSlayerMau!!!! :D