Will all the religious people please stand up....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
TheHallow1
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Will all the religious people please stand up....

Post by TheHallow1 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 6:52 pm

Please stand up.

I want to know what you think of Halloween.
Trick 'r Treat

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: Will all the religious people please stand up....

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:11 pm

I'm not overly religious, I dont go to church but I do believe in God, I love Halloween. I doubt you'll find anyone on this forum that doesnt like Halloween.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:36 pm

Why on Earth would you?
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

shanda
Halloween Master

Post by shanda » Thu Mar 04, 2010 7:49 pm

I am a Christian. Southern Baptist to be exact.

I am leaving on a youth retreat tomorrow as a matter of fact. National Youth Confrence in Nashville, TN.

I am not a closet Halloween addict. I proudly display my art, Yes it is art to me, each year. I invite people from my church to help me haunt my hayride and haunted house.

My preacher askes me each year what new thing I am going to add to my house.
I am actually the head of the church's decorating staff. ( No spooky stuff at church)

I do not like really disgusting, bloody yard scenes. I do have a bloody lab in the haunted house, but with a disclaimer to warn.

I think beccause of my faith in God, I am more of a believer in the afterlife, ghosts, and of evil.

Where there is good there is evil.
Heaven : Hell
I am the shadow on the moon at night
Filling your dreams to the brim with fright,
Oggie Boogie

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Thu Mar 04, 2010 10:25 pm

*sits down*

Rising Dead Man
Halloween Master

Post by Rising Dead Man » Sun Mar 07, 2010 7:42 pm

Agnostic
Halloween wraps fear in innocence,
As though it were a slightly sour sweet.
Let terror, then, be turned into a treat...
~Nicholas Gordon

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Sun Mar 07, 2010 11:56 pm

I'm non-religious! WTF???

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Mar 08, 2010 4:46 pm

I am a very devout Catholkc, AND an AVID Halloween lover. It's my favorite day of the year, AND it's part of a Catholic 3 day celebration of the Dearly Departed.

Mike

angel222
Haunt Master

Post by angel222 » Tue Mar 16, 2010 1:18 am

im spiritual but halloween is mostly all saints day or hallows eve which means the spirits or loved ones come to visit the earth. thats all there is. besides only its only the lunatics that give it a bad name.
hello

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Mar 16, 2010 7:15 pm

I'm a very devout Halloweeninite. I profess it to be the best holiday ever! ... even if it is based on celtic religious practices.... and enveloped into Christianity... and then passed down generation to generation through TRADITION!

Halloween is THE AWESOME!

Woo!

(I doubt if people didn't like Halloween, they wouldn't visit this site... so it seems slightly silly to parse the question here!)

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Mar 17, 2010 3:40 pm

Like I said, the Catholic Church recognizes Halloween as All Hallowed eve, All Saints Day on Nov 1st, and All Souls Day on Nov 2nd. Halloween is the day before All Saints Day, which is when we celebrate all the dearly departed who have gone to Heaven, and then on Nov 2nd, we pray for all the departed souls who are in Purgatory, waiting to enter God's Kingdom.

As for the celebratin of Halloween, as long as I'm still alive on this Earth, I will ALLWAYS observe Halloween with classic horror movies, good food and a jack o'lantern.

Mike

angel222
Haunt Master

Post by angel222 » Thu Mar 18, 2010 1:53 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Like I said, the Catholic Church recognizes Halloween as All Hallowed eve, All Saints Day on Nov 1st, and All Souls Day on Nov 2nd. Halloween is the day before All Saints Day, which is when we celebrate all the dearly departed who have gone to Heaven, and then on Nov 2nd, we pray for all the departed souls who are in Purgatory, waiting to enter God's Kingdom.

As for the celebratin of Halloween, as long as I'm still alive on this Earth, I will ALLWAYS observe Halloween with classic horror movies, good food and a jack o'lantern.

Mike

you took the words out of my mouth.
hello

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Sun Mar 21, 2010 9:40 am

I'll stand up!

I was raised in the Episcopal Church, which, like the Catholic, observes the liturgical year, including the three-day observation Mike mentioned. We probably didn't make as big a deal of it as the Catholics do, but we were aware of it.

Now I attend the Lutheran Church with my husband. They also observe the liturgical year, but for them, Halloween is Reformation Day (when Martin Luther nailed the 95 Theses to the cathedral door, starting the Protestant Reformation), so Halloween sort of gets swallowed up in that. In recent years they've been having "Reformation Day" parties, with jack-o-lanterns and people coming in costumes from the Bible, or as characters from Luther's life story. I find that an acceptable compromise for a church, although we skip that party when it falls on Halloween itself, as it did this year. The one time my daughter attended, she costumed as the Witch of Endor.

I don't mind the church "fall festivals" and such, but I like them to augment, not detract from, Halloween. I have never felt any conflict myself between my Christian faith and my enjoyment of this holiday. I think masking holidays are fairly common around the world, and Halloween is ours. The fact that the impulse is common suggests to me that there is something in human nature which needs that release. In some ways I think the ritualization of death, hell, and the devil around Halloween has a way of containing evil. You acknowledge it to subsume it in a larger order. That's the way I see it, anyway.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:30 pm

Halloween is a time for just having fun. My parish actualy does have a Halloween party every year, and they sponsor "trick ro trunk" in the church parking lot. Also, there are a lot of Halloween displays arount the town, and my town is home to Catholics, Lutherans, United Methodists, Episcapalians, Evangelical Protestants and even a few Jahova's Whitnesses. Only the Evangalicals and the Johava Whitnesses are against Halloween. The call it "the devils holiday."

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Thu Mar 25, 2010 2:31 pm

What, no Hebrews?

Oy!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.