April 30 Eve, The Day Of The Dead

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Uath
Crypt Keeper
What is the highest number?: 9

April 30 Eve, The Day Of The Dead

Post by Uath » Fri Apr 30, 2010 7:19 am

Tonight is Beltain, the second of the great Celtic fire festivals. The first is Samhain (pronounced "Sowen") we know it as Halloween. You'll notice the two are exactly six months apart. Tomorrow is May Day.

Anton LaVey, the founder of The Church of Satan, chose this day as the day of the Great Sabbat. It's the "holiest" day in the Satanic calandar.

"LaVey began presenting Friday night lectures on the occult to what he called a "Magic Circle" of associates who shared his interests. A member of this circle suggested that he had the basis for a new religion. On Walpurgisnacht, April 30, 1966, he ritualistically shaved his head in the tradition of ancient executioners, declared the founding of the Church of Satan and proclaimed 1966 as "the year One", Anno Satanas—the first year of the Age of Satan." (Wikipedia)

This night was as scary and important to the ancient Celts as Samhain (Halloween). Watch the newspapers for the next couple of days to see if anything "Weird" happens, cult killings, graveyard vandalism, etc...

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Re: April 30 Eve, The Day Of The Dead

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 8:32 am

Not a big LeVey fan, but I do observe Walpurgisnacht.

HALFWAY TO HALLOWEEN!!!
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by iHaunt » Fri Apr 30, 2010 4:05 pm

I do know who is Anton LaVey, but I'm not one of his fans. But I've seen some of his culture movies long time ago. Well he died in 1997.

BTW, Happy Walpurgis Day!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:05 pm

I didn't evenr emember abut today until I loged on to this forum. I am very busy, and won't be getting out of here until after 10, so I doubt I'll be observing Half-Halloween tonight. Next year, however, the 30th is on a Saturday. Perhaps I'll screen an extra horror flick then.

Mike

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri Apr 30, 2010 5:47 pm

I'm loading up Hocus Pocus then Poltergeist for the evening. :D
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

ilovemichaelmyers
Halloween Master

Post by ilovemichaelmyers » Sat May 01, 2010 12:21 pm

I don't believe that there is a Satan. Evil resides in all of us, it's up to us when we choose to bring it out.
The Night HE Came Home

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Mon May 03, 2010 11:26 pm

I agree.

"I know nothing of God, or the Devil. I have never seen a vision, nor learned a secret, that would damn or save my soul."

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:36 am

Uath wrote:Tonight is Beltain, the second of the great Celtic fire festivals. The first is Samhain (pronounced "Sowen") we know it as Halloween. You'll notice the two are exactly six months apart. Tomorrow is May Day.

Anton LaVey, the founder of The Church of Satan, chose this day as the day of the Great Sabbat. It's the "holiest" day in the Satanic calandar.

"LaVey began presenting Friday night lectures on the occult to what he called a "Magic Circle" of associates who shared his interests. A member of this circle suggested that he had the basis for a new religion. On Walpurgisnacht, April 30, 1966, he ritualistically shaved his head in the tradition of ancient executioners, declared the founding of the Church of Satan and proclaimed 1966 as "the year One", Anno Satanas—the first year of the Age of Satan." (Wikipedia)

This night was as scary and important to the ancient Celts as Samhain (Halloween). Watch the newspapers for the next couple of days to see if anything "Weird" happens, cult killings, graveyard vandalism, etc...

What is Beltane? - See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Beltane

Also, wiccan, pagan and witchcraft holidays - with history, info, lore and activities for the Pagan Holiday.
www.wicca.com/celtic/akasha/beltane.htm

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Tue Apr 12, 2011 9:47 am

Thanks for the reminder. I will definately be doing something to celebrate "Half Halloween," and speaking of reminders, next month, the 13th is going to fall on a Friday, and we all know wh at that means. Friday the 13th. "Little Halloween." Unfortunately that's also the day my work place picked to have their graduation comencement ceremony, so I am going to be at work til all hours of the night, but when I get home, I will be lighting one of my plastic jack o'lanterns, and I will be screening a "Dark Shadows" video tape.

Mike

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:42 pm

Way to go, Mike! I, myself do belive halfway to Halloween! 8)

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:10 am

Pumpkin_Man wrote: Thanks for the reminder. I will definately be doing something to celebrate "Half Halloween," and speaking of reminders, next month, the 13th is going to fall on a Friday, and we all know wh at that means. Friday the 13th. "Little Halloween." Unfortunately that's also the day my work place picked to have their graduation comencement ceremony, so I am going to be at work til all hours of the night, but when I get home, I will be lighting one of my plastic jack o'lanterns, and I will be screening a "Dark Shadows" video tape.

Mike
My son is also graduating from college on May 13 (Friday). I guess a lot of schools must have chosen that date this year.

My father died on a Friday the 13th (in April, decades ago). I have never liked that date much since then. I'm hoping that my son's graduation will give me something happy to associate with it for a change.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Thu Apr 14, 2011 11:38 pm

So, May 1st is May Day Festival over there in Scotland.... only 12 more days to go for Friday the 13th next month! :D Yay!

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Apr 20, 2011 12:08 pm

I'm sorry to hear about your Dad, Murf. A date can bring back a lot of sad memories of a lots loved one. My father died on July 26th, just 2 days after my 33rd Birthday. My late brother Jack, died on December 27th, just 2 days after Christmas. Not one Birthday or Christmas goes buy that I don't think about them both. I still have the very last Birthday present my dad gave me, too. It was a pair of Highway Boards for my motorcycle, which back then was a 1988 Honda Venture.

As for Friday the 13th, I like to celebrate "Little Halloween" on that date, because of the preternatural or "spooky" association that many people make with that date. It is sort of like Halloween in miniature, and I thought it would be fun to break out one of my plasstic jack o'lanterns and celebrate a little preview to the "big day." Perhaps you can give it a try after you get home from your son's graduation. It won't erase those memories, but it may give you something else to associate with it besides your father's death.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Apr 20, 2011 1:25 pm

I think your idea of "Little Halloween" is actually pretty clever. Friday the 13th in general doesn't bother me too much, but when it happens in April it bugs me, as my father died in April on a Friday the 13th.

Oddly, although I hadn't thought of it at first, I realized that I lost two of my cousins on May 13, one in a car crash and one from cancer (several years apart). Neither one died on a Friday, though. It's just kind of weird that my son's graduation day happened to fall on that date.

The truth is, there are only 365 days in a year, so the year does tend to get crowded with anniversaries of all sorts as you go through life.

I doubt I'll be doing Little Halloween this May, since we may have other celebrations going on. I'm not sure how that day is going to go for me this year.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:56 pm

Little Halloween is Great! :D