She Says What We're All Thinking (Political)

Non-Halloween related stuff. Same rules: family oriented, no flaming, be nice. ;-)
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

She Says What We're All Thinking (Political)

Post by jadewik » Fri May 07, 2010 10:20 am

I know, I hate politics... but when the media does poor reporting and non-facts go nation-wide... it's nice to hear the other side.

There has been a lot of controversy over Arizona's new LAW ENFORCEMENT legislation as it pertains to enforcing the crime of being in the country illegally. It's been called an immigration law, but it actually has NOTHING to do with immigration. It simply allows law-enforcement the ability to follow the federal government mandated procedure of checking citizenship of someone once they've been stopped by the police.

No one is going to RANDOMLY ask you for your papers (visa, passport, birth certificate). Just like seat belt or cellphone laws while driving, you have to ALREADY be stopped for breaking some other law before they can check for citizenship.

In Arizona, you're required to prove citizenship or legal entry into the state before getting a driver's license. Showing a valid driver's license will suffice for the new legislation. And, guess what, you're routinely asked to provide a license and proof of insurance at ANY traffic stop. They also ask for a valid ID when you charge over $20 on your visa, when you want to enter a bar or club and if you're going to buy alcohol.

The law itself is constitutional because it PARALLELS the FEDERAL LAW that is already in place. The Arizona law adds a penalty for entering our state illegally.

From Washington Examiner
"This law was carefully drafted to avoid any legal challenge on pre-emption in two ways," explains Kobach. "One, it perfectly mirrors federal law. Courts usually ask whether a state law is in conflict with federal law, and this law is in perfect harmony with federal law.

"Two, the new law requires local law enforcement officers not to make their own judgment about a person's immigration status but to rely on the federal government," Kobach continues. Any officer who reasonably suspects a person is illegal is required to check with federal Immigration and Customs Enforcement. "As long as the state or city is relying on the federal government to determine immigration status, that will protect against a pre-emption challenge," says Kobach.

But what if the Obama administration argues that the law is a burden on the federal government? Or refuses to assist Arizona in determining a person's legality? The drafters thought of that, too. There's a federal statute -- 8 USC 1373, passed during the Clinton years -- requiring the feds to verify a person's immigration status any time a state or local official asks for it. The federal government cannot deny assistance to Arizona without breaking the law itself.

Read more at the Washington Examiner: http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/polit ... z0nFkBj3oH
Also, what's the NUMBER ONE group that's ignored in this whole thing? The people who have come to this country and become citizens through legal means. On that note, I'd like to share with you a video that makes me applaud every time I watch it... because this woman says what we're all thinking.

Please watch the video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ShkpO9Rf ... r_embedded

Don't believe anything above? Read the Law. It's only 18-pages long. The wording is simple and clear.

This law was created in response to the MULTIPLE requests for national guard from the federal government in an effort to secure the border. These requests were ignored.

I'll leave this topic open for discussion provided we can all stay civil. I might close it at the end of the day because I won't be around to watch it this weekend.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Re: She Says What We're All Thinking (Political)

Post by Spookymufu » Fri May 07, 2010 3:09 pm

yup, I see person after person after person on TV commenting on this and have no idea what the law actually is (including Obama). All they hear is MSNBC or CNN or (insert left wing "news" source) say it's a law that allows the cops to stop you if you "look" illegal......it's done on purpose too, this is was kills me, these left wingers are stirring up miss-information just to try and save them come Nov....real journalism is dead.
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by Andybev01 » Fri May 07, 2010 4:48 pm

Okay; Arizona and Texas have chimed in, I guess it's my turn.

...and I'm all for it. The burden on social services in California is too much.
Paying for our own citizens who are down and out is already breaking the bank, add on to that the legions of people who are here against the law and it's goodbye bank.

Add to that the astounding increase in drug trafficking and violence and I'm ready to build the Great Wall Of California.

Now if we could just do something about those wily Canadians...
All you that doth my grave pass by,
As you are now so once was I,
As I am now so you must be,
Prepare for death & follow me.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Fri May 07, 2010 6:34 pm

Someone on the radio read a very compelling law that mimics Arizona's law.... it's a Californian law... I wonder how many people know about it!...

OctoberChill
Halloween Master

Post by OctoberChill » Thu May 13, 2010 9:04 pm

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05 ... -slamming/

We can add our Attorney General to the list of people that haven't read it but seem to have a strong opinion about it.

Unless you're in a border state I don't think you can fully grasp how bad this situation is getting. SOME kind of action is needed. I hope Texas does something similar soon.

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu May 13, 2010 10:01 pm

OctoberChill wrote:http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2010/05 ... -slamming/

We can add our Attorney General to the list of people that haven't read it but seem to have a strong opinion about it.

Unless you're in a border state I don't think you can fully grasp how bad this situation is getting. SOME kind of action is needed. I hope Texas does something similar soon.
I was hoping so too but our Gov has already spoken out against Az's law so I dont think we'll be adopting it :(
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Fri May 14, 2010 5:15 pm

Now L.A. is boycotting AZ.

Whadda they gonna due, withhold buying stuff with their I.O.U's?

California is broke!

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Fri May 14, 2010 5:22 pm

perfect example and typical of the Obama admin, shoot your mouth off then get the facts...sheesh. "We" picked a real winner in this administration...

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/co ... 04231.html

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5U4tI_qzyH0

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Mon May 17, 2010 3:54 pm

You should see the heat we're taking in Tucson for House Bill 2281, which prevents public schools from teaching students that one race is better than another-- or discriminating against ANY child based on race. That was last week's excitement... because there's an ethnic studies class that apparently teaches that BS. Oh, yeah.... they also teach kids how to protest and dress up like Mexican Nationalists.

Last week, AZ State Education Superintendent Tom Horne asked TUSD what was in their ethnic studies curriculum. They INVITED him for a visit where he could sit down in a class and see for himself. He kept it hush-hush because he just wanted to observe, but someone in TUSD leaked it and then BRIBED CHILDREN to go protest DURING SCHOOL HOURS. Serious.

One parent made the following comment in the local paper (online):
Our son was given classroom participation points last week if he joined the protest that they had. If he did not want to join the protest, he was given the option of sitting in the library for an hour. I think he and his pals "joined the protest" by going outside and hanging out away from the protesters. I do not think anyone was directly supervising them. The teacher did not keep them with her. I will be eager to find out if son was asked to join today's protest. The class website is no longer available online. (or I can't find the link on the school website any longer.) The teacher's blog has been scrubbed back to September. If there's nothing wrong with the curricula, then why has it been deleted?
Tom Horne's visit was canceled as students were LET OUT OF CLASS and given EXTRA CREDIT to march down to the state education offices, where they proceeded to protest with raised fists while wearing Mexican Nationalist berets and sunglasses. 14 people were arrested for non-peaceably protesting.

I was a little peeved when the school tried to recover from the bad PR on the news the following evening. Why, I had to ask myself, did they not just tell Tom Horne what they said in the news interview? Oops. It's a little late now.

This class teaches that Arizona, Texas, New Mexico and California belong to Mexico and Viva La Raza-- which is treasonous. It makes me wonder why Tucson Unified School District (TUSD) teachers would encourage students to leave school and protest legislation that restricts a public school "ethnic studies" program from teaching the over-throw of the United States government-- if they don't teach it, why are they worried? Why did they scrub websites and hard drives of teachers who teach those classes? Why did they give EXTRA CREDIT to students yesterday by encouraging them to march out of class and PROTEST. Sounds kinda fishy to me....

... and despite arguments to convince me "La Raza" run programs are NOT preaching hate is ludicrous. For one, "La Raza" directly translates to "The Race"... which supporters claim actually means "The People" (or the human race)... okay, fine. It's "The People"... but what people exactly do they represent in this ethnic studies class? You can dance around all you want and translate how you want, but in the end... what PEOPLE are they talking about?

This is BS.

... and that BS at UA graduation where one of the speakers got up in her Mexican Nationalist beret and sunglasses and preached to everyone there about how SP1070 is racist... that was pretty inappropriate as well. Graduation is for the students, not for pushing a political agenda. Furthermore, the speaker OBVIOUSLY hasn't even read SB1070.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSppVDbE ... r_embedded

Andybev01
Halloween Master

Post by Andybev01 » Mon May 17, 2010 5:02 pm

It is getting just a little out of whack, isn't it?

"In the first place we should insist that if the immigrant who comes here in good faith becomes an American and assimilates himself to us, he shall be treated on an exact equality with everyone else, for it is an outrage to discriminate against any such man because of creed, or birthplace, or origin. But this is predicated upon the man's becoming in very fact an American, and nothing but an American...There can be no divided allegiance here. Any man who says he is an American, but something else also, isn't an American at all. We have room for but one flag, the American flag, and this excludes the red flag, which symbolizes all wars against liberty and civilization, just as much as it excludes any foreign flag of a nation to which we are hostile...We have room for but one language here, and that is the English language...and we have room for but one sole loyalty and that is a loyalty to the American people."

Theodore Roosevelt 1919

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Mon May 17, 2010 7:13 pm

I really hope AZ does this right and it works so all these morons who didnt read the law but chose to spout off about it will be forced to eat their words and I hope more states adopt this immigration enforcement law!

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Mon May 17, 2010 8:05 pm

I'm pretty sure Teddy was talking about Naturalized Citizens... I LOVE naturalized citizens.

Found out the California Law that is similar to the new Arizona law is California Penal Law 834B... which has been a law for years. They read very, very similar.