How did Halloween become so important to you?

Discussion of general Halloween topics
MHooch
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by MHooch » Sun Nov 12, 2006 11:13 pm

Hi Faustine...welcome to the board. We'll look forward to hearing from you again. :D

SadAngelove
Zombie

Post by SadAngelove » Mon Nov 13, 2006 4:35 pm

look at my sig :D
I LOVE HALLOWEEN. IT'S THE ONLY TIME OF MY CHILDHOOD WHERE I CAN REMEMBER TRUELY BEING HAPPY AND AT PEACE. I WANT MY SON TO FEEL THE SAME WAY.

Faustine
Ghost

Post by Faustine » Mon Nov 13, 2006 6:19 pm

Thanks for the welcome!
I've actually been reading the forums since mid-October, but I just didn't have anything to say before :)

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Mon Nov 13, 2006 8:33 pm

Yeah sometimes it takes that long to respond as a points when I log in I need to read for at least an hour to get all caught up on things.
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

ooga_booga
Haunt Master

Post by ooga_booga » Sat Mar 10, 2007 4:40 am

My family and I have been celebrating halloween for as long as I can remember. We live in a very small neighborhood so it was easy to get our neighbors involved as well. We did some TOT-ing and we usually had a small party afterwards. Then when I was about 12 years old everyone else pretty much grew out of it :( .
Serial Thread Killer.

tomanderson
Halloween Master

Post by tomanderson » Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:58 am

I love reading everyone's posts! I posted enough in this thread already so I'll go over to another one.

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Post by Nostalgiascape » Sun Mar 11, 2007 9:45 pm

I've just kept it dear in my heart. And the more memories I aquired, the more dear it became.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

tantraman
Halloween Master

Post by tantraman » Mon Mar 12, 2007 1:13 pm

I have always loved Haloween I think what did it though was when I would watch Garfields Halloween and Fridaythe 13th part 3 everyday when I was like 6 and I went as a pirate and my dog was my first mate. we were in a small town and it was really really dark. but it was fun My dog had puppies on halloween the next year 1987.
happy happy halloween silver shamrock.

Please check out our new horror movie blog check our the first post on our new horror movie blog https://horrormoviehallofflames.wordpress.com/

Nostalgiascape
Halloween Master

Post by Nostalgiascape » Mon Mar 12, 2007 5:02 pm

tantraman wrote:I have always loved Haloween I think what did it though was when I would watch Garfields Halloween and Fridaythe 13th part 3 everyday when I was like 6 and I went as a pirate and my dog was my first mate. we were in a small town and it was really really dark. but it was fun My dog had puppies on halloween the next year 1987.
Nice. Hell yes.
The dark night beckons. Bear us your soul, it whispers. Expose your wicked delights. Join the rest of us on the wind. The dark night beckons and we answer. Sailing into the shadows.

geekmidwinter
Haunt Master

Post by geekmidwinter » Wed Mar 14, 2007 2:35 pm

Hi everyone! I know it's been forever, but I am so glad all of you <deleted> Halloweeners (HAHAHAHHAHAHA!) are still here to remind me of the most wonderful holiday of all. First off, greetings to Hooch, and Uncletor, and Pennywise and EvilMel, and Halloweenqueen, and anyone else I might have forgotten in my months away! Like Claudia! I can't believe I forgot you! And Thislazylife! And Spooky!!

To reintroduce myself, I thought this would be a great thread, It's 231 days until Halloween and I need some spooky holiday cheer.

I also grew up watching the Halloween cartoons on TV, Garfield was great, but The Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown is my absolute favorite. Mostly Halloween was the harbinger of autumn, a time to reflect on the time that had passed that year, and to plan for the holidays ahead, a symbolic "beginning of the end" for the year, and a gateway to great times with food and family and presents and winter coziness.

It brings with it thoughts of dark nights watching scary movies, the smell of burning leaves and carmelized sugar and carved pumpkins. Mostly I think for me it's about comfort. It reminds me of a time in my life when I felt safe, and the fears I had were of imaginary creatures not of the realities of everyday life.

There's a theory in childhood development circles that states that the reason children go through a phase at about age 5-10 where the opposite gender is "yucky" is so that they can rediscover each other again during puberty. It also works that way for teenagers, when they rebel against their parents, it's so that they can rediscover them later as someone they want to emulate. I've decided that the reason I was away for a while was kind of like that for me and Halloween, a lot of the love I have for the holiday involves the months I go without it and the slow realization that it's creeping up on me again. I need to "rediscover" it again, if it was everyday it wouldn't be special, you know?

So anyway, I'm glad to check back and really glad to read everyone's posts about what's going on and revisit all of the wonderful stories and things that people have shared. Sorry for the marathon length post, and I hope everyone is doing well, thanks again for being here for me to rediscover!
Last edited by geekmidwinter on Thu Mar 15, 2007 6:19 pm, edited 3 times in total.
I saw a werewolf drinking a pina colada at Trader Vic's. His hair was perfect.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Wed Mar 14, 2007 3:25 pm

Hey GMW!!! So nice to hear from ya! Yep we're still here lurking in the spooky shadows, dusting off the cobwebs.. LOL...
1, 2, Freddy's Coming For You 3, 4, Better Lock Your Door 5, 6, Grab A Crucifix 7, 8, Better Stay Up Late 9, 10, Never Sleep Again

MHooch
Halloween Master

Post by MHooch » Wed Mar 14, 2007 9:40 pm

geekmidwinter!!!! SO HAPPY :lol: to see you here, my fellow wicked witch!! I actually thought about you the other day, we've been having some nice warm weather here, and I was toolin' around in the Magic Pumpkin with the top down, and thinking about my friends here online, and wondered where you'd been, and if things were OK. So here you are. Things are great with me, we're already tossing around costume ideas for this year. And I have recently taken up scrapbooking, and am getting photos together for the Halloween edition. That will be a good way to keep Halloween on hand until it actually comes around. Well, great to hear from you, my friend, talk to you soon! :lol:

hauntmaster

Post by hauntmaster » Wed Mar 14, 2007 11:59 pm

When I was 4-5 year old, I was very scared of masks, costumes, and everything like that... When I passed at the age of 11, I felt stopping to be afraid of everything. I went to the haunted house and the haunted forests, you know? I was getting used to not be afraid of everything. Then, I started dressing myself as the serial killer, monster, ghost, etc. so going on... Right now, I'm still not being afraid, and also, I have to be extremely carefully because somebody called the cops about us being haunted our home on that Halloween night while TOTs, you know? The cops warned us if there is anything occurring again, and I will be issued a summon and I must be appeared in the court! Does the law sound funny? Maybe silly? What the F... does the law make like that??

deadbride
Master Reaper

Post by deadbride » Thu Mar 15, 2007 1:14 am

Hi all. I know its been a while for me too. Been busy. I have a good excuse I think you will accept. I was busy going to pick up my hearse. Yes an honest to goodnes real hearse. It actually carried dead people. Its been damaged so I have repair work to do before I can drive around town but I don't care.

Ok as for me Halloween has always been a big part of my life as far back as I can remember. Even when we lived out in the sticks. I remember decorating the house even though we never had any TOTs. Mom would take me and by brother into town to TOT. After we got older and moved then I started decorating even more. I didn't bother going out anymore. I got an 80 lb pumpkin one year and carved it. And my obsession just kept getting worse from there. I've been doing my own full haunted house for over 10 years and/or yard haunts for the last 19 years since I got married. So total years about 25 years decorating, since I was about 13. I keep something up year round. Costumes are a total obsession for me. If I can wear a costume that is just the greatest thing on earth. I started dressing up when for Halloween duh! but it was something more than that. It carried over into my everyday life. Any chance I had to wear a costume I did, still do. :oops:
I may grow older, but I refuse to grow up.
I'm not weird, just normal challenged.

Pennywise11
Halloween Master

Post by Pennywise11 » Thu Mar 15, 2007 9:55 am

Little by little, I have been picking up Halloween decorations but instead of packing them away I put them up around the house... Love it. And costumes are so much fun, I haven't worn them lately but I have been picking up costume stuff at thrift shops and plan on having a big "Tickle Trunk" the end of August for me and whoever in the house feels like wearing something a little more "cool"! 8)