The Summer Solstice has passed....

Discussion of general Halloween topics
TheHallow1
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

The Summer Solstice has passed....

Post by TheHallow1 » Sun Jun 26, 2011 10:54 pm

The Solstice was a few days ago on June 21st, the longest day of the year. Now, the days are getting shorter and the nights are becoming longer. We all know what that means.... :D
Trick 'r Treat

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Re: The Summer Solstice has passed....

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jun 27, 2011 9:58 am

LOL! Yes, I noticed the solstice, but I am not too anxious for the shorter days. I still have a great number of projects to complete this summer!

TheHallow1
Haunt Master

Post by TheHallow1 » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:10 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:LOL! Yes, I noticed the solstice, but I am not too anxious for the shorter days. I still have a great number of projects to complete this summer!
You've got plenty of time to do them. June's not even over yet.
Trick 'r Treat

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Jun 27, 2011 3:28 pm

I really love to go to the beach on Summer Solstice day, but the past 2 or 3 years, it's been too rainy and too busy at my work place. Last Tuesday I had a bunch of portraits to shoow in the studio, and when I got up that morning, it was thunder, lightning, buckets of rain and very pessimistic weather preductions. It rained most of the day and finaly started to clear up A LITTLE BIT after 10 that night. So it was a bit disappointing. But Summer Solstice at the Indiana Dunes has been a tradition of mine every since I graduated from high school.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jun 28, 2011 11:13 am

As I recall, the solstice itself was overcast for us. That is always a bit disappointing.

The Hallow1, I am always amazed at how summer just speeds by. My husband is a teacher and my two younger kids are still in public school, and the summer break is never, ever long enough for all the projects we have planned. This summer, my 17-yr-old is racing to try to complete his Eagle Scout badge by his birthday on Aug. 4. That is causing me to watch with dread as the calendar pages slip by.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Thu Jul 07, 2011 3:25 pm

Actualy I do love the Summer season. Halloween is my favorite holiday, but when it really comes down to it, I think Summer is my favorite season over all, because there's more to do. I love to ride motorcycles, go to the beach, have barbecues, and a whole host of other things. I also love my Birthday, and the 4th of July. Spring and Fall will often lend itself to some of those activities as well, but Winter is..well, foget it. Winter is BORING, pure and simple.

But I agree that the Summer season flys by way too fast. I thought last Winter was never going to end, and now it's already the 7th of July.

Mike

Kris
Zombie

Post by Kris » Thu Jul 07, 2011 4:17 pm

Oh dear I am quite the opposite of the majority. I adore the winter, it can never come quick enough or last long enough for me. I adore the short days and the dark nights, the cold, the damp, the snow and the ice. Listening to the storms pounding the house.

But, then again, I am a writer, if the sun is shining I get nothing done, but if its howling a gale and in depth of winter, I get tons done.

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Post by SpookShowBaby » Fri Jul 08, 2011 8:59 am

I love winter as well, but nothing comes close in comparison to autumn.
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Jul 11, 2011 3:04 pm

I get a lot done around the house during the Winter season, mainly to aleaviate the insufferable boredom, but some times, when I'm in bed at night, I do enjoy listening to the storm and howling of the wind outside. Sort of luls me to sleep, BUT, I do enjoy Spring, Summer and Autumn a lot more.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Sun Jun 21, 2015 11:35 pm

This is what Stonehenge looked like today after things died down. You'd think those dang Druids
would have more respect for the Earth.

http://www.bbc.com/news/uk-england-wiltshire-33211353

I'm currently watching 'Operation Stonehenge: What Lies Beneath'.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Jun 22, 2015 9:52 am

Wow, who'd expect people to leave all that litter at Stonehenge?

I was there, once, decades ago, when I was a teenager. One of my favorite travel memories.

I was telling my son this weekend that, in the Middle Ages, people recognized only two seasons, summer & winter. (It was either the growing season, or the not-growing season.) So the summer solstice was "Midsummer," and the winter solstice was "Midwinter.' Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream was set at this time of year.

Kolchak
Halloween Master

Post by Kolchak » Mon Jun 22, 2015 6:30 pm

Murfreesboro wrote:Wow, who'd expect people to leave all that litter at Stonehenge?

I was there, once, decades ago, when I was a teenager. One of my favorite travel memories.

I was telling my son this weekend that, in the Middle Ages, people recognized only two seasons, summer & winter. (It was either the growing season, or the not-growing season.) So the summer solstice was "Midsummer," and the winter solstice was "Midwinter.' Shakespeare's play A Midsummer Night's Dream was set at this time of year.

You get the feeling that most of those folks are fair weather Druid's? They can't live without Starbucks and their cell phones.

MauEvig
Halloween Master

Post by MauEvig » Mon Jun 22, 2015 11:58 pm

I wouldn't mind visiting Stone Henge one day. But then again; it's sad how they just trashed it.

I'm really in no hurry for the nights to become longer and the days to be shorter. As much as I love the Halloween season, I kind of enjoy having the sun go down at 9:00PM, or somewhere between 8 and 9. This is especially true when I'm working at the store, I like there to still be daylight when I get out of work. I usually get out of work around 6PM or 8PM depending on if I'm closing or not. It's not that I mind the dark, I just don't like driving in it. More accidents will happen at night than during the day.

Nighttime can be beautiful though on a clear night when the stars are out, or when the Full moon is shining brightly.

Every season has it's beauty, but for me I'd like to just enjoy Summer. Honestly I think the people who lived in Medieval times had a good point in saying there were two seasons.

But as I said before; the only real seasons are Winter and Road Construction. :lol:

Granted I think the transitional seasons like Spring and Fall are the most beautiful. But I have to admit I have the most fun during the summer, and I reflect upon fond memories of summer vacation growing up. I personally think it's sad that Summer is being reduced to a mere 5-6 weeks. If I get a job in the school district I'm looking into; I will only get 6 weeks off for summer. Most of that time will probably be spent preparing for the year. But from what I could tell from my observations, there's good friendly people in that district. That's the kind of career/work environment I want to have, a place where everyone is down to earth and friendly. Plus 6 weeks off is more than I've ever had while holding a job down, not counting the times I've been between jobs or in College ever since leaving High School. If I get 6 weeks off I might not know what to do with myself! :lol: But I guarantee one of those weeks will be my week to visit Family up North.
Nocturnal Purr-Fection

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Jun 23, 2015 8:48 am

You're right that the summer break is not nearly as long as it used to be. But then, at least around here, they have added fall breaks and spring breaks, which we didn't formerly get. It's also nice to have them scattered throughout the year. And six weeks is a long time off to do whatever traveling you may like to do.

puaa001
Ghost

Post by puaa001 » Fri Dec 18, 2015 6:58 am

Nice Topic.
explore more architects images from Paul Uhlmann Architects