Steampunk Costume

Chat about your costumes
jadewik
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Steampunk Costume

Post by jadewik » Wed Jul 27, 2011 1:44 pm

So... if you're not familiar with the genre, I recommend googling "Neo-Victorian" pictures. You'll get a good look at the style of clothing. Basically, it's Victorian-era, historical clothing with a twist-- lots of baubles and gears. Tophats are big. So are goggles and distressed NERF guns. Clocks, cogs, and steam engine-type parts. If you're looking for pop culture references, you might check out the Will Smith "Wild Wild West" film or "City of Ember" or the fantasy part of "Suckerpunch" or "Sky Captain and the World of Tomorrow". That style falls under the category of "steampunk".

Simplicity has followed the trend and has put out two rather awesome Steampunk patterns-- one which I'm modifying for my costume this year.

Pattern 2207 - This is pretty straight-up Victorian dress... it's not exactly historical, but it's a good starting place for someone wanting to ease into the genre.

Pattern 2172- This is the pattern I'm using for my costume... though, I have done quite a few modifications to the design... I've made the jacket less billowy, combining two of the pattern panels into one smaller piece, which removes the lace-up part to the back. (I really just wanted a streamlined jacket.) I've also added a collar instead of the frilly neck ruffle. I'm not doing the corset because it lacks sleeves, so I'm using a different pattern for that... and I may modify that as well. I'm also not doing the skirt, but rather using some brown cargo pants. I'm trying to find some boots... which I will customize spats/gaiters for....

My collar/lapel and the cap sleeves have been embroidered with some patterns found on urbanthreads.com :
Steampunk Wings
Winged Key

There are a lot of cool tutorials out there... threadbangers actually put out a brief video series on how to make some Steampunk costume elements for cheap! You can view those tutorials here:
http://www.threadbanger.com/episode/THR_20080829

Anywho... enjoy!

witchy
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 9

Re: Steampunk Costume

Post by witchy » Wed Jul 27, 2011 5:49 pm

I found some cheap goggles & hats on ebay, fun!!!

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Sat Jul 30, 2011 9:35 pm

Here's one on ebay for 39.99, I don't think it's too bad for what you get.
66263.jpg
66263.jpg (58.05 KiB) Viewed 15568 times

MacPhantom
Halloween Master

Post by MacPhantom » Sun Jul 31, 2011 3:27 pm

Whenever I see this steampunk stuff, I can't help but think of Wild Wild West, the Will Smith movie. Is that what started all of this?? Or Back To The Future Part III, maybe?

SpookShowBaby
Haunt Master

Post by SpookShowBaby » Mon Aug 01, 2011 1:30 pm

Wild Wild West did a lot for the revival of Steampunk. Here is another good website. http://thesteampunkhome.blogspot.com/
“Come let us meet, with charm and spell, by magic arts our fates to tell.”

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Wed Aug 03, 2011 6:58 pm

Last year, a group of friends and I dressed up as a coven of witches. One of my friends dressed up as a Steampunk Witch, whom she named Coppernika. She's the one on the far right in the picture. I think she did a pretty good job. I'm not sure if you can see, but her broom has a steampack on the bottom near the brush.
Attachments
76378_1494201192842_1168410308_31364060_1060841_n.jpg
76378_1494201192842_1168410308_31364060_1060841_n.jpg (86.57 KiB) Viewed 15537 times
"Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!"

witchy
Halloween Master

Post by witchy » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:18 pm

Ohhhhh!! I love witch's!! Hee hee hee!! You guys did a really good job on your costumes, and I luv the steampunk witch too!!

Belladonna
Halloween Master

Post by Belladonna » Thu Aug 04, 2011 5:47 pm

witchy wrote:Here's one on ebay for 39.99, I don't think it's too bad for what you get.
66263.jpg

This is awesome! I love this. :)
"The woods are lovely, dark and deep, and I have promises to keep and miles to go before I sleep. Did you hear me butterfly? Miles to go before you sleep."

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 7:34 pm

The Phantom wrote:Last year, a group of friends and I dressed up as a coven of witches. One of my friends dressed up as a Steampunk Witch, whom she named Coppernika. She's the one on the far right in the picture. I think she did a pretty good job. I'm not sure if you can see, but her broom has a steampack on the bottom near the brush.
how many "guys" are in that pic and why didnt they dress up as warlocks?
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

The Phantom
Crypt Keeper

Post by The Phantom » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:32 pm

Spookymufu wrote:
The Phantom wrote:Last year, a group of friends and I dressed up as a coven of witches. One of my friends dressed up as a Steampunk Witch, whom she named Coppernika. She's the one on the far right in the picture. I think she did a pretty good job. I'm not sure if you can see, but her broom has a steampack on the bottom near the brush.
I am the only person in that photo who is physically male. And I didn't want to be a warlock. I wanted to be Elphaba.
"Feast your eyes! Glut your soul on my accursed ugliness!"

Spookymufu
Halloween Master

Post by Spookymufu » Thu Aug 04, 2011 8:54 pm

The Phantom wrote:
Spookymufu wrote:
I am the only person in that photo who is physically male. And I didn't want to be a warlock. I wanted to be Elphaba.
ah....okay...I get it...
http://theyard.netii.net/
"You can catch more flies with honey than vinegar but if you pull their wings off they'll eat whatever you give them!"

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Fri Aug 05, 2011 8:21 am

I was Elphaba last year. I may do that again this year, since the green skin really gets people going. I mean, I didn't have to do much else to get a strong reaction.

jadewik
Halloween Master

Post by jadewik » Tue Nov 01, 2011 12:08 pm

... Not related to my costume, but completely AWESOME....
Steampunk Gatling Gun on YouTube!!!

I did finish my costume. I've posted pics on facebook, but probably won't post photos here 'till after NaNoWriMo.... which starts today.