T Minus 30 Days

Discussion of general Halloween topics
Morticia
Haunt Master
What is the highest number?: 9

T Minus 30 Days

Post by Morticia » Mon Aug 01, 2011 7:20 pm

..maybe sooner...fall decorations go up! WOO HOO!
Be afraid....be very afraid!

iHaunt
Halloween Master
What is the highest number?: 10992

Re: T Minus 30 Days

Post by iHaunt » Mon Aug 01, 2011 9:59 pm

YES!!! I know that.... but it will be hot and humid around here in Virginia Beach area till November! :? Only cold weather in December, January and February. :roll:

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Tue Aug 02, 2011 8:41 am

Yes, I used to live in Tidewater VA (Richmond), and it definitely got very humid. The climate was much more like Mississippi's than Tennessee's is. The main difference is that VA does get snow in the winter, and MS almost never does. But the summers? Phew! The humidity is killer, just like the deep South.

Here in Middle TN, the average first frost is around Oct. 15. But of course that varies from year to year. I've had one Halloween sweatshirt for 15 or 16 years. It still looks new, because there is so little opportunity to wear a sweatshirt in Oct. around here.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Tue Aug 02, 2011 10:09 am

I didn't know that u were from Richmond, Va. so right now u live in Tennessee? :) One day I will be there in either Jacksonville or Miami, Florida. :D

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 8:50 am

I'm not "from" Richmond, but I lived there for a year and a half, back in the mid-to-late '80s. I have to say, it was a strange time to be there. My husband and I were astonished by the snobbery, but maybe that was more 1980s stuff than Richmond stuff. Back then, people used to put bumper stickers on their cars that read, "South of the James--by invitation only," and "The West End--for members only." And these were just neighborhoods where people lived. It gave us a weird impression of Richmond.

I did like the Fan area of town. That was an older section, near Virginia Commonwealth Univ., and it was being gentrified during the '80s. In one block you could see derelict buildings, run-down houses where students rented, and then these very up-scale places that had been bought and restored by rich people. A lot of the VCU students were artists, too, because their arts program is very strong. So the Fan was a fun area of town, had a lot of character.

I had a job teaching at the Univ. of Richmond for one year, then got a better one at Mary Baldwin College up in Staunton, where we lived for seven years.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 11:05 am

U're not from Richmond, VA - but, you used to live there before?

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:09 pm

T Minus 23 days I decided. Going to take them out the last weekend of August instead.

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Wed Aug 03, 2011 1:38 pm

iHaunt wrote:U're not from Richmond, VA - but, you used to live there before?
Right. I was born and raised in Jackson, Mississippi.

Both my sons are Virginians, though. They were born in Staunton.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Wed Aug 03, 2011 2:22 pm

I may put up a few Fall decorations next September if for no other reason, to celebrate relief from this horible heat. I'm still having fun on the new bike, but if temps were cooler, it would be much nicer to ride.

Mike

NeverMore
Halloween Master

Post by NeverMore » Wed Aug 03, 2011 7:01 pm

I usually start uploading Halloween related media to Usenet in August but because it may take me some time to get settled back into my house I don't know how much I'll get to this month. If any of you are on Google+ look me up. NeverMore Boo. I've posted a few classic Halloween commercials in my stream.

iHaunt
Halloween Master

Post by iHaunt » Wed Aug 03, 2011 9:48 pm

Ok, anyone been there in Illinois and Wisconsin before? I heard they have nice weather during summer, but very cold in November thru the end of March. Well I've never been there in IL or WI.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:43 pm

iHaunt, it can be BOTH very hot in the Summer time and very cold in the Winter time in Illinois. I know because I live there. Last week, and the week before, it was SO HOT I could hardly stand to be out side. We had at least 4 days of it being over 96 degrees, and that doesn't even match the record hight that were made back in the 90s. It seldomly gets up to 100 or hotter, but it has been known to happen on ocassion. It was about 98 about a week ago today, and I was at the Michigan Dunes. The ride was okay, and the swimming was nice, but the tent sleeping was impossible. I ended up going home early because I just couldn't take it. I felt like a french fry under a heat lamp at McDonalds by the time I got home.

Last Winter it was just the opposit. Temps were frequently below zero, and we had the most snow we had seen in a while, though it was no match for the snow of 79 or 67, I had to borrow a neighbors snow blower in order to get my car freed up so I could go to work. So iot sort of works both ways here in Illinois. People can litteraly die from the heat like they did in the Summer of 96, and people can freeze to death like they did last Jaunary.

Mike

Murfreesboro
Halloween Master

Post by Murfreesboro » Mon Aug 08, 2011 12:56 pm

My husband calls what you are describing "continentality." When you are located in the middle of a large land mass, you tend to get the extremes of heat and cold. Places along coastlines rarely get that hot or that cold.

I think, here in Middle TN, we get hotter than you describe in IL, and probably not quite as cold in the winter as a regular thing. However, we, too, can have people die in both the heat and the cold. Just last winter a 70-something lady froze to death around here when she got herself locked outside her house during a nighttime snowstorm. Very low wind chill that night.

Morticia
Haunt Master

Post by Morticia » Mon Aug 08, 2011 2:51 pm

Well hubby got the fall containers down for me. So far I'm just looking inside them trying to hold off until at least the last weekend of August.

Pumpkin_Man
Halloween Master

Post by Pumpkin_Man » Mon Aug 08, 2011 8:52 pm

I heard about that lady in Tenn. Also, during that heat wave in Chicago back in the Summer of 96, most of the people who died were Elderly. The total number was around 700, which totaly blew me away when I heard about it. During that same summer, I was out on my motorcycle. Back then I was driving an 88 Yamaha Venture Royale. I put alot of miles on that Venture, but that's another story. Anyway, it was 97 in the shade, and that was one of the cooler days. I was on Jefforson Street in Joliet and they were re-black topping it. I was caught in stop & go traffic, and I was getting heat radiation from the new asfalt and my scooter's engine, as well as the sun beating down on me. I litteraly started to see black spots in front of my face, so I pulled into a restaurant and the head waiter imediately handed me a glass of water before even ushering me to a table. Apperantly I was suffering the beginning of heat stroke and he recognized it right away.

Morcitia, you must be really excited. I am sort of anxious for the weather to cool off, but I still want to go on at least one 'haunted road trip' before it gets too cold, but then again, no better time for a 'haunted road trip' then late Sept or early Oct. Good luck with the fall decorations at any rate.

Mike